IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Install and Dyno at JE Import Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 06:41 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Power better with an exhaust restriction? Doubt it. Equal? Could be if done right, but no way better.

If I were doing this, I'd definitely do it with Random Tech cats. I think it's irresponsible to squeeze a couple of horsepower and pollute as much as cat-less cars do because you want the last mile of performance on your street driven car. Racecar? All bets are off. Street car? Think about the impact on the rest of the world, not just your ego.
Quick question if for instance the primary cats were not installed, would you then gain more HP than with the cats, because of the less restriction? If so with an educated guess how much more power could you squeeze?
Old 02-15-11, 12:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Quick question if for instance the primary cats were not installed, would you then gain more HP than with the cats, because of the less restriction? If so with an educated guess how much more power could you squeeze?

Alex, I think you should read this below thread (again) from post #144 and forward.....

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

^^ He has done a ton of Dyno pulls and pulls down the 1/4 mile track to back up his reaseach..

Joe Z
Old 02-15-11, 05:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
No, if you do the cats right, you'll not lose anything. The gains I saw were pretty tiny and I wouldn't call them significant. I'd call adding the cats a total win for everyone involved.

Random does good work. They've been around a long time building high performance cats.
Old 02-15-11, 06:08 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
Don't be surprised if your dynojet hp numbers are lower than your dynapack ones. Based on my experience the dynojet runs lower on the hp numbers but higher on the tq number.
Ummm not to argue with you because I realize you know a lot more about the IS-F than I do but doesn't this defy logic considering that torque is related to hp? HP=rpm x Tq(5252)

Are you saying that it reads a completely different toque curve thus modifying the hp numbers to a lower read than normal? I can only see that with some kind of inverted curve. Enlighten me please.
Old 02-15-11, 06:36 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fapout
Ummm not to argue with you because I realize you know a lot more about the IS-F than I do but doesn't this defy logic considering that torque is related to hp? HP=rpm x Tq(5252)

Are you saying that it reads a completely different toque curve thus modifying the hp numbers to a lower read than normal? I can only see that with some kind of inverted curve. Enlighten me please.

DynaPack dynos connect straight to the hub with the wheels off, DynoJets are inertia type roller dynos so I'm sure those two major differences have something to do with it.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you just my own personal observation.

Last edited by caymandive; 02-15-11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 06:57 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
DynaPack dynos connect straight to the hub with the wheels off, DynoJets are inertia type roller dynos so I'm sure those two major differences have something to do with it.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you just my own personal observation.
I forgot dynapacks connected at the hub. Weird. I would think there would be more loss with dynojets since friction comes in to the equation. It's all good. All observations are welcomed!
Old 02-16-11, 03:58 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot dynapacks connected at the hub. Weird. I would think there would be more loss with dynojets since friction comes in to the equation. It's all good. All observations are welcomed!
Well to understand this you really need to understand what correction factor each dyno uses. Basically when a dyno is designed and built it is calibrated. The manufacturer comes up with a correction factor that is designed to account for these differences such as friction, drag or expansion of the roller as it heats up. These factors that can change from run to run are removed from the calculation by whatever this correction factor number is. I found a really good article that explains this stuff in depth. If I can find it I'll post the link. Google dyno correction factor and you will probably find more info than you want
Old 02-16-11, 07:23 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

James which dyno type do you think gives the best estimate to how much hp is really hitting the pavement? Rollers, would make the most sense to me.
Old 02-16-11, 08:03 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darbs242
James which dyno type do you think gives the best estimate to how much hp is really hitting the pavement? Rollers, would make the most sense to me.
I'd be curious to know this too. I guess this is important but at the same time irrelevant since the amount of HP difference between you and another car would be fixed no matter how it was my measured, not to mention that if your car does the quarter in 12.2 and it measured 350hp on one machine and 380hp on another, what's the point?
Old 02-16-11, 08:09 AM
darbs242
Racer

By the way wanted to let the JE crew know ive put almost 1200 miles on the car since i left with numerous drive cycles and still no CEL, glad I didn't throw in new o2 sensors, great job!
Old 02-16-11, 10:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I'd be curious to know this too. I guess this is important but at the same time irrelevant since the amount of HP difference between you and another car would be fixed no matter how it was my measured, not to mention that if your car does the quarter in 12.2 and it measured 350hp on one machine and 380hp on another, what's the point?
There's the indisputable truth. A dyno is a tool to measure a change. There are lots of things dynos do well, and a few they don't do well. Comparing different cars isn't one of the things they do really well.

At the end of the day, dyno numbers are bragging rights and nothing more. There are lots of guys with big dyno numbers who don't possess the skills to actually use the power their cars make. The biggest difference between cars and the most important part to mod will always be the nut behind the wheel.
Old 02-16-11, 10:19 AM
darbs242
Racer

Joe, have you considered offering the exhaust with cats, as shown?
Old 02-16-11, 11:18 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Not sure which would be more close to real world wheel hp, it's unfortunately not that simple. I do however know why we chose the dynapack over all the other dyno's available and that was simply because they are the most sensitive and best for R&D testing. (in my opinion) I would also venture to say the most accurate (when measuring gains or changes) not neccessarily the most accurate at measuring actual wheel hp but showing minor dips or fluctuations in power throughout the dyno run. We have been able to accurately measure changes in spark plug gap and minor changes like this. Like the one guy said, it's all about what it does in the real world and the dyno is mearly a tool to help you maximize your potential.....the rest is bragging rights......and darbs, you my friend can definitely brag now!!
Old 02-16-11, 12:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Joe, have you considered offering the exhaust with cats, as shown?
Considering it adds another approx. $400 to the price tag.. Probably not...

An IS-F with the two OEM primary CATs still in place, will still pass the basic sniffer test..
(Visual will vary from inspection to inspection)

This solution of adding the Random Tech CAT's, is a great resolution for those IS-F's that plan to run the Sikky Headers..

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 02-19-11, 12:01 PM
JE
Former Sponsor

Darbs I just wanted to check back in with you and see how everything is running. No CELs? Everything still on point?

Quick Reply: Install and Dyno at JE Import Performance