IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

We Test the PTS-Joe Z IS-F Exhaust and verify K&N intake power!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 08:00 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by smartbomb
The site seems to be running smooth and fast. Is it still messing up for you?

I hope this clears up the concerns with the K&N intake.
Yep, still jacked. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with my work server/computer. I'll try again from home later.
Old 02-17-11, 08:08 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Yep, still jacked. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with my work server/computer. I'll try again from home later.
CL has been running like dog **** for me for the last several days.
Old 02-17-11, 08:20 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

^^^ I was referring to the article website. However, it is working now. It just takes quite a while for it to load properly. Probably some work filter crap.

So it sounds as though the K&N intake really is sustaining 22-25hp gains. For anyone who has the K&N intake, did you notice marked gains in performance?
Old 02-17-11, 08:41 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melbitoast
^^^ I was referring to the article website. However, it is working now. It just takes quite a while for it to load properly. Probably some work filter crap.

So it sounds as though the K&N intake really is sustaining 22-25hp gains. For anyone who has the K&N intake, did you notice marked gains in performance?
My bad. Someone with the K&N please chime in because this is the first really documented and well tested intake that I've seen verified gains on. I'd really like to know if this is substantiated by a 3rd party with verified no interest in selling K&Ns parts. Not saying smartbomb is but we just have no way to know that.
Old 02-17-11, 08:58 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

Of course, we are a magazine and we test stuff for a living. We do not sell parts.
Old 02-17-11, 09:03 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Fapout
My bad. Someone with the K&N please chime in because this is the first really documented and well tested intake that I've seen verified gains on. I'd really like to know if this is substantiated by a 3rd party with verified no interest in selling K&Ns parts. Not saying smartbomb is but we just have no way to know that.
Here is how you know....

They BOUGHT the K&N Intake and the PTS-Joe Z Exhaust to test out for themselves..

Plus, I meet Mike aka '"smartbomb" in person.. He has ZERO interest in selling aftermarkets part for the IS-F..

It's very clear what he does & what their Website is about..

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 02-17-11, 09:03 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Excellent and well-detailed write-up for the Joe-Z exhaust. Thank you very much for posting this!
Old 02-17-11, 09:13 AM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting on the K&N...which was hyped and then quickly trashed by a lot of people here...as an aside smartbomb, I do appreciate the pics, writeup, and "scientific" approach you took to this testing...seems very thorough...thank you.
Old 02-17-11, 09:23 AM
powmax
Pole Position

Do it yourself:

Buy a BLITZ TOUCH B.R.A.I.N. feed it with correct parameters of your ISF (WEIGHT, ENG.DISPLACEMENT, LOSS, GEAR, GEAR LOOKUP, etc...) and enter a nice straight and even highway... Push your car til Vmax (maybe 6 Gear)...

Every Value (OBDII) also HP/PS can be stored in memory and could be analyzed later on your PC.

Do it again with your upgrades and you'll see if there is any difference... (Numbers don't lie) haha...

regards
marcus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utyn4oq-qpk

Last edited by powmax; 02-17-11 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 11:05 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

or you could use the Inovate OT-2

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ot2.php
Old 02-17-11, 11:06 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

Originally Posted by mondo540
Interesting on the K&N...which was hyped and then quickly trashed by a lot of people here...as an aside smartbomb, I do appreciate the pics, writeup, and "scientific" approach you took to this testing...seems very thorough...thank you.
We retested the intake because of requests from members here, also tested in sixth gear for that reason.
Old 02-17-11, 04:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,445 Posts

So I'll chime in with what I consider the most important part - the testing shows a horsepower gain. The testing is done consistent with standard practice so it is fair to compare these tests to other tests.

The testing infers these same gains with the car on the road, hood down, under normal driving conditions. This may or may very well NOT be a good assumption. As Powmax suggested, the BEST test is before and after, your car in running trim on a road or track with hood down, and in a normal drivable configuration.

Dynos are great for showing CHANGES compared to other dyno tests under similar conditions with the same equipment. The gains on the dyno do not always translate into gains in actual service.

Also - ANY intake removing the charcoal filter violates Federal EPA laws for tampering with emissions control equipment the same as removing a working catalytic converter from an emissions compliant vehicle is a crime in all 50 states.
Old 02-17-11, 04:32 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all, thanks for doing the dyno test and sharing with us your results. However these results are considerably different that what I found when I had my K&N Intake and JoeZ Exhaust combo dyno:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-flap-mod.html

As you can see, I didn't show any sustainable results, infact I lost some power. I spoke to K&N briefly about the results and one of their speculations about the results was that the K&N intake was designed for a STOCK IS-F (no exhaust, etc). I dynoed my K&N intake with the JoeZ Exhaust in place, where I noticed that you redyno'd the K&N Intake while still on the stock exhaust. I'm not sure if the change in exhaust would make that drastic of a change in the intake flow, but apparently it may have with my car. It would be interesting to see what the results would be if you redyno'd your car now that you have the JoeZ Exhaust inplace after some miles. Anyway, just wanted to share my results and see what your thoughts were in regards to my results. Thanks...Darshana S...
Old 02-17-11, 05:31 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

I will test it one more time when I install the headers.
Old 02-17-11, 05:37 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So I'll chime in with what I consider the most important part - the testing shows a horsepower gain. The testing is done consistent with standard practice so it is fair to compare these tests to other tests.

The testing infers these same gains with the car on the road, hood down, under normal driving conditions. This may or may very well NOT be a good assumption. As Powmax suggested, the BEST test is before and after, your car in running trim on a road or track with hood down, and in a normal drivable configuration.
Its not a good assumption because you can't control intake air temp very consistently like that on your typical dyno because on most dynos the fans don't flow enough air to simulate road airflow. It is important to stat each run at about the same intake air temp, coolant temp and even electrical load with the drivetrain warmed up. I have done so many dyno tests that I don't need to hook up scan tools anymore.

Consistency in run to run temps give the most consistent results.

Quick Reply: We Test the PTS-Joe Z IS-F Exhaust and verify K&N intake power!