IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Used ISF or new IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 07:31 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Autobacs makes a good point. Buying new is great for the first six months or so when everything is pristine and all. I like the satisfaction of knowing I'm the first owner, but some do not necessarily care. Plus, with used, you don't have to eat that depreciation as with the first owner. Black on black is great- that's the combo I have, and you'll love it (when it's clean). Lol Hope your search goes well!
Old 02-16-11, 08:19 PM
JMBillsta
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I'm over wanting/needing a brand new car having owned more than a few of them.

The (right) used car makes a lot more sense.

Used IS-F hands down for me.
if youre buying used, its about finding the right one
Old 02-16-11, 08:37 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used IS F with 3300 miles on it. Seems brand new to me.
Old 02-16-11, 09:30 PM
mls08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
The 350 is still a very fast car. If I remember correctly, the 350 is only around a half second behind the F. Plus, you'll have air conditioned seats
Yaa, its something like that
Old 02-16-11, 10:07 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I say get a used F from a Lexus dealership.
Old 02-16-11, 10:10 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

i own an is350. look forward to isf soon. besides a decent new is350 otd is gonna cost you almost 50. you can save a good amount of money on a one owner nicely equipped low mileage isf.
Old 02-17-11, 05:05 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Used black on black IS-F all the way. Mine was an 08 with just under 15,000 miles when I got her last June and she still smelled new inside. And like bnizzle87 said, no new car depreciation.
Old 02-17-11, 06:44 AM
diablo2184
Pole Position

is the IS-F at a dealer? I bought my 08 used with 14k miles on it beginning of last year, and i couldnt be happier. the car still had that new car smell, fully loaded, and it was at the dealer. plus the manager knew the previous owner well. remember, the first owner always takes that hit of depreciation from a new car. the F is a great car, and i wouldnt worry too much about it getting "beat up." Is it modified at all? its a Toyota....they will last forever and it has the LS transmission. It would be nice if is a CPO but if its not, I personally would not pay for the cert. Before the factory warranty is up, you can purchase the extended. so you could pay 1000-3000 for CPO or save that and put it towards the Extended later. And if you go that route, dont buy the Extended when you purchase the car because then you're loan will include that (therefore paying interest on it) and it wont start till the factory warranty is up.

Felixdang said that 300hp in a car is good for him. but thats not that much power if you are looking for some. our cars are heavy, any lexus is heavy. so the 5 Liter really helps and the torque is great. 300hp in a 3500+ vehicle wasnt enough for me.

Good luck with your choice.....in the end, you know whats best for you and what you want to do.

but i say the F!
Old 02-17-11, 06:55 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Find a certified IS-F for peace of mind and save yourself $15k on depreciation. Don't sell yourself short on a 350. I had the same dilemma between a new RX350 / certified RX400h 2 years ago. I went with the certified RX400h, saved 18k on depreciation, and have no regrets.
Old 02-17-11, 08:18 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Used ISF no doubt about it...will you be happy with an IS350..probably..but if youre even considering an ISF and its within your price range, why not get the ISF?? As others have said, find the right ISF and you will never think about that "new IS350" again (except maybe at the gas station )
Old 02-17-11, 08:23 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

It's IS-F or nothing if you're in to car performance. It's not like the situation with the 335 and the M3. You can't tune an IS350 with bolt ons to make more power than an IS-F. It's not possible. I had the choice of going with the M3 but picked the 335 because of the aftermarket support and the possibility to kill an M3 in a straight line without giving up the comfort of the ride (no suspension mods because i'd like at least 1 car with a smooth ride).

Get what I'm saying? If you're considering just between the two Lexus IS cars than definitely the F. There's no other option that can possibly be equal to it within the Lexus company. (I'll assume the LFA is not an option for you like many others in the same boat)
Old 02-17-11, 09:37 AM
TyreKckr
Driver School Candidate

I drove both before I opted for the F and don't regret the decision one bit. The 350 is a great car, but it just didn't have the same "Wow" factor as the F. All other things being equal, I expect that the F will hold its value over the next few years better than the 350, simply because of the "cachet" associated with it. On the other hand, you are giving up one back seat position with the F, so bear that in mind if you ever need to haul more than 4 people at once. You can also now get an AWD 350, which is a great advantage over the F if you do a lot of driving in winter conditions.
Old 02-17-11, 09:44 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Used ISF with out a doubt. The IS350 and ISF are two totally different cars. Anyone that says they are the same accept for the extra horsepower has not driven the ISF and is fooling themselves. The car just feels completely different, steering, handling, braking, chassis stiffness, not the mention the ISF TRANSMISSION IS SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY. No IS350 can ever be "modded" to have the same transmission. These cars are beasts and really can't be damaged by previous owners except for wear and tear items like brakes and tires. It's not like it has a high rev'ing 4 cylinder that has had the crap rev'd out of it to make power, this engine barely makes an effort to move this car fast. Also because of the price of the car new lots of "old men" have bought them and take very good care of them.

Just be patient, the right used ISF will come along. for $40K it will probably have a few miles on it already, but I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, financially if really makes little sense to buy new and lose so much in depreciation just rolling off the lot. Let someone else take the hit.
Old 02-17-11, 09:51 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Fapout: I LOVE that you have "The Hedgehog" as your avatar!
Old 02-17-11, 01:05 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Fapout: I LOVE that you have "The Hedgehog" as your avatar!
He's the man. Vintage Ron!

Quick Reply: Used ISF or new IS350