IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z Exhaust Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 11:58 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Joe Z Exhaust Squeak

I have put in the Joe Z exhaust couple of months ago. About 70-80% of the time the car is squeak-less. But if I hit a series of side to side bumps, I can hear the exhaust squeak like crazy. It gets soo damn annoying. Is this squeak normal or I need to tighten things up a bit? I bought the exhaust used so I don't know if the batch I bought it from was the modified one to avoid the rubbing the first few batches had... If someone could post up the old underbody pix of the possible rubbing areas such as the Xpipe and such, it would be helpful. The old thread pix no longer work.

Thanks in advance
-Z

Last edited by nysupraman; 02-19-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 12:41 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I dunno man mine is perfect, no rattles squeaks nothing. Get it up on a lift at a muffler shop, they should be able to adjust it.
Old 02-19-11, 02:38 PM
MRISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the rear section where it goes into the fake tips....mine was a little close there when I first put it on, and it would rub against that metal tip when I would hit bumps...if that happens just loosen up the back section and adjust it until it has room with the tips.
Old 02-19-11, 02:44 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^JE trimmed that with tin snips on mine
Old 02-19-11, 11:40 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Here is where mine rubbed, I just filed those brackets down a bit.

Old 02-20-11, 08:14 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Make sure all the rubber hangers were used in the installation. Some of mine were left off and caused some annoying noise.
Old 02-20-11, 09:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow What to do......

Originally Posted by nysupraman
I have put in the Joe Z exhaust couple of months ago. About 70-80% of the time the car is squeak-less. But if I hit a series of side to side bumps, I can hear the exhaust squeak like crazy. It gets soo damn annoying. Is this squeak normal or I need to tighten things up a bit? I bought the exhaust used so I don't know if the batch I bought it from was the modified one to avoid the rubbing the first few batches had... If someone could post up the old underbody pix of the possible rubbing areas such as the Xpipe and such, it would be helpful. The old thread pix no longer work.

Thanks in advance
-Z
Hi Z,

Ok so here is the clear background on this..

For the first batch of 25 systems from almost 2 years ago, we did have some minor tolerance issues.. Well only 2..

The reports were only from a handful of IS-F's

What we found was that every IS-F is not exactly the same. Since we had NO rubbing issues on the 2 IS-F's that we used during R&D.

So we quickly corrected the jigs to compensate for these 2 areas of concern..

This is what you can do:

The first area of concern which causes thumping only during agressive right hand turns is shown in the picture by "infinus".

The black bracket is actually just a bracket that holds the plastic transmission cover in its place..
Red Arrow is pointing to the drivers side...

***The issue was only a problem on the Passenger Side. But check both anyway.

If you inspect this area and there is less than 2-3 mms of space, simple remove the bracket and grind a few mm's off of it and spray it with some black paint..

or

You can may attempt to losen the x-pipe from the manifold flange and see if you get some more space that way..

Now for possible squeaks.. The drivers side muffler face can get close to the inside lip of the rear exhaust diffuser/tip.. If you inspect the muffler or muffler tip and there are rub marks on it, than that is where the squeak may be coming from. (check the passenger side as well)

For this the muffler may be loosened and adusted upward from the flange or the exhaust tip may need to be trimmed 1/4" inch to clear the inside diffuser.

or

If necessary you can trim the exhaust diffuser inside lip, but that is worse case scenario and last in my book..

If your during these inspections yourself, try to do it while the exhaust is still HOT.. The systems expands when hot and it will give you a better judgement on spacing when inspected in those two areas..

I recommend using a lift..

Good Luck!

Let us know what you find on your used system..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-20-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-20-11, 09:05 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Make sure all the rubber hangers were used in the installation. Some of mine were left off and caused some annoying noise.
^^^ Very Correct.. !!!
Old 02-20-11, 09:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by darbs242
^^^JE trimmed that with tin snips on mine
This would be a last action I would take if all else doesn't work....

Your case is MUCH different since you had the Sikky Headers installed, with custom Race CAT's.

Plus you have one of the latest units built..

Somehow the Sikky Headers are causing the system to shift rearward.

To avoid the issue you expeirenced, since the X-Pipe was modified to fit the Race CATs, they could have cut off another 1/4" inch or so from the X-Pipe length.. The secton where they weld in the CATs.
I only used a 1/4" inch as an approximate.

Note to ALL, for New System Purchases:

As long as your system is New & Installed with the OEM Manifolds in place, no additional adjustments or corrections need to be made to it..

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 02-20-11, 09:52 AM
MRISF
Pole Position

The second situation was my problem, I just loosed the rear section and adjusted it up then re-tightened and haven't had any issues since then.
By the way Joe has by far the best customer service help
Old 02-20-11, 11:03 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Thanks everyone and especially Joe Z! Need to get her up on a lift asap...
Old 03-16-11, 01:47 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by 08MRISF
check the rear section where it goes into the fake tips....mine was a little close there when I first put it on, and it would rub against that metal tip when I would hit bumps...if that happens just loosen up the back section and adjust it until it has room with the tips.
Originally Posted by JoeZ
Now for possible squeaks.. The drivers side muffler face can get close to the inside lip of the rear exhaust diffuser/tip.. If you inspect the muffler or muffler tip and there are rub marks on it, than that is where the squeak may be coming from. (check the passenger side as well)

For this the muffler may be loosened and adusted upward from the flange or the exhaust tip may need to be trimmed 1/4" inch to clear the inside diffuser.
I am so swamped with work I didn't get a chance to fix the issue yet. However I got a chance to crawl under the other day and I am 100% convinced that the squeak is from my left rear exhaust tips that are rubbing against the rear of the diffuser. The right side seems to have enough room to avoid rubbing. This should be an easy fix as you stated by loosening her up and adjusting. The other issue might be that when the exhaust heats up after a couple hours of driving or driving in warmer temps, it expands and further protrudes into the back of the diffuser.

Unfortunately, I am a bit handicapped when it comes to fixing it myself and I need to find some time to take her to the exhaust shop.

Last edited by nysupraman; 03-16-11 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 02:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Right on..

The was a very small issue on the first batch of exhausts from 2 years ago...

The problem was not every IS-F had the issue, as I mentioned in post# 7

It's a very easy fix..

Joe Z
Old 03-16-11, 02:49 PM
MRISF
Pole Position

Yes as I stated above mine was also on the left side and it actually made an indentation in the diffuser...but I just loosed the rear section up and adjusted it and no problems since then....hope this helps
Old 03-17-11, 12:01 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I don't hear any squeaking from my Joe Z exhaust. It does sometimes back fire when rolling to a stop in a low gear though. I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen or not, but it sounds nice.

Quick Reply: Joe Z Exhaust Squeak