IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F sound system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 09:45 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, you definitely dont get the range of frequencies you'd expect if you tap the ML sub outputs.

I was sorely disappointed when I did that...not to mention the stock sub blew not too long ago...out of warranty.
Old 04-08-11, 10:14 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You mean the ML system in the 2008 ISF is different than the 2009 and newer? And it's better?

Finally something better about the 2008. I've always had a chip on my shoulder that I didn't have the LSD, traffic support navigation, revised suspension, new instrument cluster, etc. LOL
Old 04-08-11, 10:19 AM
maddmaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not worth the money...

I've had three IS cars... 06 350, 09 350, and a 10 ISF... quite simply, while the ML sounds ok, it is simply not worth what Lexus asks us to poney up for it... ditto for the NAV systems, adequate but not worth the bucks... my old, outdated Garmin, side by side, out performs the Lexus NAV...

If I had it to do over, no NAV, no ML, and no moooooon roof...

Great car in every other respect.
Old 05-08-11, 12:20 PM
Tempest
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gonna bump this up because I have a good friend that bought an 2010 ISF and I can't say his ML system sounds any better that my 08. I will stand by early comment that my IS300 Lexus Premium Sound System sounds markedly better than my ISF ML system.

Honestly, I think it has to do with the DSP. And after researching on CL, it seems that the ultimate best option is to replace the whole system from a processor level... possibly with the component speakers.

I still can't get my sub to work properly with an LOC and taps on the front speakers. All I want is some fuller, wider range bass notes (and a toned down center channel) LOL.
Old 05-08-11, 12:56 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The ML in my car is adequate for anything I want to (safely) do with it and the amount of time I spend behind the wheel. Sure, for me there is always something better as can be evidenced by my desire to replace certain components in my home audio system in which I already have more than the MSRP of a fully-loaded IS-F invested.
Old 05-08-11, 06:36 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bass.. Thats' the sound my exhaust makes at idle, mid-range... that's the sound of the secondary intake flap opening up... High end.. that's the sound of 416 very pissed off horses trying to get out from under the hood at 6000+RPM's!!!! Who needs a radio when your engine sounds like this!? And you have the nerves to call yourself car guys!?
Old 05-08-11, 06:56 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Bass.. Thats' the sound my exhaust makes at idle, mid-range... that's the sound of the secondary intake flap opening up... High end.. that's the sound of 416 very pissed off horses trying to get out from under the hood at 6000+RPM's!!!! Who needs a radio when your engine sounds like this!? And you have the nerves to call yourself car guys!?
I like that! I rarely have the radio or use my MP3 player when in the car. Hearing it roar with the "pissed off horses" is a nice feeling. But I think it's just fine the way it is. Those who want to utilize the speakers and bass all of that- I've seen some setups, and they're really clean. Personally, it doesn't matter to me too much when I'm driving. Gotta love the F!
Old 05-08-11, 08:16 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tempest
I'm gonna bump this up because I have a good friend that bought an 2010 ISF and I can't say his ML system sounds any better that my 08. I will stand by early comment that my IS300 Lexus Premium Sound System sounds markedly better than my ISF ML system.

Honestly, I think it has to do with the DSP. And after researching on CL, it seems that the ultimate best option is to replace the whole system from a processor level... possibly with the component speakers.

I still can't get my sub to work properly with an LOC and taps on the front speakers. All I want is some fuller, wider range bass notes (and a toned down center channel) LOL.
Try turning off the surround in DSP... it makes a difference

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-15-11 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 09:07 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I think it depends a lot on what you listen to and what your expectations are. If you listen to a lot of electronic drums and want bass that rattles your fillings at volumes likely to cause permanent hearing loss, ML will disappoint. If you listen to other types of music as something to help pass the time sitting in traffic without annoying everyone around you, or if you put in a DVD with a well recorded soundtrack, you'll be pretty surprised at how good it is for mobile sound.
I agree. I have a high end sytem in my gs. Mb quarts, eclipse aluminums, jl hd amp. jbl bp 1200.1 (one of the best sub amps ever imo) and a big farat cap. My systems sounds good. The f may not have the same kapow of that system but it holds its own. I listen to everything from jay-z to jamaroqui and this system is clear. the sub is a lil weak but only only high volumes and heavy bass songs. the soundstage sounds great to me. And dvd audio and dvds is excellent. I was very impressed with this when I first heard it.

Also if you complainers are judging the system and its based on MP3 and fm sound quality please stop talking. THe ml sounds like crap when you play inferior music. I only play flac files or dvd audio. Mp3s dont touch any of my stereos. Goes for xm too. I dont listen to xm for sound quality. I listen for variety. Remember Garbage in garbage out!
Old 05-09-11, 06:56 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Originally Posted by chris6878
I agree. I have a high end sytem in my gs. Mb quarts, eclipse aluminums, jl hd amp. jbl bp 1200.1 (one of the best sub amps ever imo) and a big farat cap. My systems sounds good. The f may not have the same kapow of that system but it holds its own. I listen to everything from jay-z to jamaroqui and this system is clear. the sub is a lil weak but only only high volumes and heavy bass songs. the soundstage sounds great to me. And dvd audio and dvds is excellent. I was very impressed with this when I first heard it.

Also if you complainers are judging the system and its based on MP3 and fm sound quality please stop talking. THe ml sounds like crap when you play inferior music. I only play flac files or dvd audio. Mp3s dont touch any of my stereos. Goes for xm too. I dont listen to xm for sound quality. I listen for variety. Remember Garbage in garbage out!

How do you play flac files .. my 2011 ISF ml seems to only recognize mp3 files .. tried putting lossless on usb flash drive but none showed up ...??? Tx
Old 05-10-11, 06:01 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bobisf
How do you play flac files .. my 2011 ISF ml seems to only recognize mp3 files .. tried putting lossless on usb flash drive but none showed up ...??? Tx
i have the vaistech vml unit installed. it has a 24-Bit stereo delta-sigma D/A Converter Which is superior in every way to the factory one the head unit uses. So the sound quality is excellent.
Old 05-10-11, 10:11 PM
RedCellISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded in my 02 IS 300 for my 08 ISF and noticed on the 120 mile drive home that the ML couldn't compete with the warmth and reproductive clarity of the factory stock stereo in the IS 300. My brother is quite the audiophile and he makes mention of that fact every time he rides in the F.