IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F sound system.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11 | 08:20 PM
FPILOT
Driver School Candidate

Default IS-F sound system.

Who can agree that the sound system in the IS line up ( Mark Lev. ), after 2008, is a less quality sounding system ?
Old 03-28-11 | 01:22 AM
crc333
Driver School Candidate

Hi

You think the Mark Lev is not a good sound system past 2008?

As a sales assoc. I can say with 100% confidence that the ML sound system has only gotten better over the years. I've heard the ML in the IS-F plenty of times and it simply rocks! As it does in the full Lexus line up.

Cheers,
CRC
Old 03-28-11 | 04:33 AM
tgui
Pole Position

My 2010 ML sounds great. I've done custom sound system bits and its nice having something stock, under warranty that just works and sounds great.

I don't agree.
Old 03-28-11 | 06:41 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

I agree with FPILOT. This is my fifth lexus. The previous 4 did not have ML. My F has ML and I don't really care for it. I enjoyed richer bass in my previous lexus cars (es300, rx330, is250, is350). Other members on here agree in different threads. Do a search. ML is ok once you adjust out some of the settings. For example, I have to turn off the mids (-5) and crank up the bass (+5) on my ML. If I have a choice in the future, I'll order my next Lexus without ML and save some extra cash. The base Lexus sound system sounds great.
Old 03-28-11 | 07:19 AM
7No
Intermediate

Sorry guys, I have to strongly disagree. The first issue is the volume difference when switching between satellite radio and other sources. If I had satellite on a volume that I could listen to (especially with the moon roof up) and then switch to FM or USB, the sound volume was SUBSTANTIALLY higher and I would be flailing at the volume control to turn it down. This was NOT the case with my 2009 Infiniti, so I know it doesn't have to be that way. The 2nd issue is lack of bass. I don't need to shake cars next to me at stoplights, but the ML bass is pathetic. Again, my Infiniti was better. I rectified these shortcomings with amps/subwoofer and signal processor, but we shouldn't have to spend extra to get a decent sound system in a Lexus. I guess we can just be satisfied to listen to the exhaust!
Old 03-28-11 | 09:55 AM
Bobisf
Rookie

The ML in my 2011 ISF sounds great esp with surround on . The bass is adequate not boomy or car shaking . I'm very pleased with it .
Old 03-28-11 | 02:14 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

To me, ML system is quite clean with good transparency. Can't really speak about the very high end (sold too many stereos, installed too many club systems, went to too many concerts - can't really hear much above 12k anymore). Mids maybe a little dry. Bass is tight and well defined. Not as deep as the 15" Velodyne powered sub in my home system, obviously, but def down to ~40Hz with little distortion (at reasonable volumes). Imaging is superior to the ML in the GS. (I know, different interior, different sonic environment.)

Do have to agree with 7No about lack of input matching.

But I gotta say, too, that other than checking my tone control settings when I first got the car, I listened to NOTHING but that 5.0 L for the first two months I owned the car!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 03-28-11 at 02:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-28-11 | 07:50 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

the ML system in IS is good, but not great. it's better than 95% of OEM systems, but that is not saying very much. if i really want to enjoy music, i stay home. listening to the stereo during driving is just a way to isolate myself from the surrounding.
Old 03-29-11 | 06:15 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MicaISF
the ML system in IS is good, but not great. it's better than 95% of OEM systems, but that is not saying very much. if i really want to enjoy music, i stay home. listening to the stereo during driving is just a way to isolate myself from the surrounding.

Agreed. But sometimes driving is just a traffic slog...........even so, after all that, may not continue my XM subscription since, so far, I listen so rarely.
Old 03-29-11 | 07:59 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

To anyone that has listened to HQ systems, the ML is pathetic! It may sound good compared to other stock systems, but I was expecting more, especially for the price tag.
Old 03-29-11 | 10:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Juanca
To anyone that has listened to HQ systems, the ML is pathetic! It may sound good compared to other stock systems, but I was expecting more, especially for the price tag.
I think it depends a lot on what you listen to and what your expectations are. If you listen to a lot of electronic drums and want bass that rattles your fillings at volumes likely to cause permanent hearing loss, ML will disappoint. If you listen to other types of music as something to help pass the time sitting in traffic without annoying everyone around you, or if you put in a DVD with a well recorded soundtrack, you'll be pretty surprised at how good it is for mobile sound.
Old 03-29-11 | 03:43 PM
Tempest
Driver

I really hate to say this but I was much happier with my IS300's Lexus Premium Sound System with a JL Sub than I am with the Mark Lev.

I installed my JL sub in the back and made the mistake of tapping the ML Sub and the range is absolutely horrible. I will more than likely tap the front door speakers for a fuller range of sound this weekend.

Seems to me that the top complaints of the ML system is the center channel and the sub; but lobuxracer is right, it's all in your perception and what music you enjoy.
Old 04-07-11 | 07:55 PM
FPILOT
Driver School Candidate

THANK YOU IS350atWOT !
Finally, someone that has had an IS before 2009 & now is in a newer Lexus with Mark. Lev. systems.
The system sounds good, but the earlier one is the best.
"You could feel the sound" in a IS from 2006 to 2008 W/M.L.
Old 04-07-11 | 08:05 PM
FPILOT
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 Mark. Lev.

Originally Posted by tgui
My 2010 ML sounds great. I've done custom sound system bits and its nice having something stock, under warranty that just works and sounds great.

I don't agree.
Did you drive an 2006-2008 with Mark. Lev.?
If not, the sound just might be fine for you. But,,, those of us who have,
The sound is ****ty.
Old 04-08-11 | 08:46 AM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

When it comes down to it, it's still a stock system and sounds great as a stock system.
When comparing it to a high end SQ system, it's mediocre, but that's a higher category.

Quick Reply: IS-F sound system.