IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

[Maintenance] Would love to buy one, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 07:05 PM
Aphex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Maintenance] Would love to buy one, but...

I'm looking to finally upgrade from my old school sc400 to a IS-F, and after talking to some folks, I've heard that the maintenance costs are ungodly.

In particular, I'm told brake pads, rotors, tires have very short lives, and are very expensive (e.g., rotors and brake pads have to be changed at the same time and cost around $3,100).

Are maintenance costs and their frequency killing you guys? Please say no because I really want this car...
Old 03-03-11, 07:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

The brakes are expensive. They last as long as you know how to use them. Some have killed them quickly, others have not.

Tires are a 25 - 30k mile expense. Par for the course. I have the same life expectancy with my Supra.

Click here for the thread you would have found using search and "maintenance costs"
Old 03-03-11, 07:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Maintenance costs are expensive for all high performing vehicles, but the IS F doesn't appear to have too much regular maintenance outside of the oil changes. Brake pads and rotors, as well as tires, shouldn't have to be changed all that often if it's not being tracked. As lobuxracer mentioned, the tires should last a good 25-30,000 miles, although some here on the forums have posted much less tread life. As for pads, there are some quality alternatives that reduce the brake dust and I think a few are on or close to par as the OEM brake pads. But don't let these be the only reason to not jump into an F. It's a great ride and a great quality vehicle. Were there any other vehicles you were considering?
Old 03-03-11, 07:51 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

30k miles, one set of tire changed. Same rotors, same pads. 6 oil changes. Total cost in three years $1500.
Old 03-04-11, 05:07 AM
X20A
Rookie

I'm still working down my 6 free oil changes, haven't changed tires, rotors or pads, spent about $2000 on a winter wheel/tire package, about maybe $500 on miscellaneous stuff. I have about ~16,500 miles equivalent of mileage, this is on an 09.
Old 03-04-11, 06:16 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my 2010 F for a year now and racked up 27500 miles. I just bought new front tires at 27000 miles. They measured the brake pads at roughly half gone and said the rotors were fine. I do not track my car. It's just a daily driver. It makes the daily commute a whole lot more fun
Old 03-04-11, 07:00 AM
Aphex
Rookie

Thanks guys. Thanks so much for the awesome insight!

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Maintenance costs are expensive for all high performing vehicles, but the IS F doesn't appear to have too much regular maintenance outside of the oil changes. Brake pads and rotors, as well as tires, shouldn't have to be changed all that often if it's not being tracked. As lobuxracer mentioned, the tires should last a good 25-30,000 miles, although some here on the forums have posted much less tread life. As for pads, there are some quality alternatives that reduce the brake dust and I think a few are on or close to par as the OEM brake pads. But don't let these be the only reason to not jump into an F. It's a great ride and a great quality vehicle. Were there any other vehicles you were considering?
That's a great question. I have my heart set on the 2009 IS-F, but after hearing about the maintenance costs, I am a little deterred. I am looking to spend between $37K-$45K, and I'm having a hard time imagining myself in something else.

I've also been thinking about Infinti's G37, Lexus GS430, and maybe even an M3 (but isn't the maintenance costs ridiculous as well?). Please feel free to let me know if you reccommend any other nice and realible cars.

Originally Posted by Isfast
30k miles, one set of tire changed. Same rotors, same pads. 6 oil changes. Total cost in three years $1500.
Wow, that doesn't sound bad at all. How much were the tires (each?). It's not necessary to buy them a Lexus stealership right? Couldn't I get whatever tires i wanted as long as the specifications matched?

Originally Posted by X20A
I'm still working down my 6 free oil changes, haven't changed tires, rotors or pads, spent about $2000 on a winter wheel/tire package, about maybe $500 on miscellaneous stuff. I have about ~16,500 miles equivalent of mileage, this is on an 09.
Good info. What was included in the winter wheel/tire package?

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I've had my 2010 F for a year now and racked up 27500 miles. I just bought new front tires at 27000 miles. They measured the brake pads at roughly half gone and said the rotors were fine. I do not track my car. It's just a daily driver. It makes the daily commute a whole lot more fun
Is it really true that brake pads and rotors have to be replaced at the same time since cross drilled rotors can't be resurfaced? I wonder if the cost is really $3100 (from what I heard)?
Old 03-04-11, 10:39 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are worried about cost of owner ship DO NOT buy an M3. High performace cars use expensive parts for brakes and tires. The other cars you mention are not in the same league as the ISF.

In my opinion the cost of ownership for the ISF is VERY low considering the performance. Try owing a Porsche 911, I did, the costs sucked.
Old 03-04-11, 11:05 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aphex
Is it really true that brake pads and rotors have to be replaced at the same time since cross drilled rotors can't be resurfaced? I wonder if the cost is really $3100 (from what I heard)?
Rotors do not have to be changed with every pad replacement. They have to be replaced when they are worn down. Cross drilled rotors can be turned down but it's tricky and shops would rather install a new set. The $3100 price comes from dealership prices for parts and labor. I replace the brakes on all my cars. It gives me a chance to check everything out and allows me to select the parts.
Old 03-04-11, 02:13 PM
Aphex
Rookie

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
If you are worried about cost of owner ship DO NOT buy an M3. High performace cars use expensive parts for brakes and tires. The other cars you mention are not in the same league as the ISF.

In my opinion the cost of ownership for the ISF is VERY low considering the performance. Try owing a Porsche 911, I did, the costs sucked.
Thanks for the heads up. Are there any other cars you guys would recommend in the $35K - $45K range in terms of realibility and performance?
Old 03-04-11, 02:55 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If repair and maintenance cost and reliability and performance are your biggest concerns I would stay away from German cars (BMW, Audi, AMG, etc.). I would look at the ISF, Subaru STI, and then giving up a little performance F-Sport IS350, Infinity G37S, Acura TL-S, really I'm partial to Japanese cars these days after some bad german car experiences.
Old 03-04-11, 04:25 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Are there any other cars you guys would recommend in the $35K - $45K range in terms of realibility and performance?
I had an Infiniti G37x prior to the IS-F. They now have a semi-performance line called the IPL. Infiniti makes reliable cars. I had no problems for 35,000 miles on the G37 prior to trading. And the styling is better (imo) than lexus.
Old 03-04-11, 05:17 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Hyundai Genesis?
Old 03-04-11, 09:55 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DHRP
Hyundai Genesis?
X2 - it's worth a look. Has a lot of nice features.
Old 03-05-11, 12:41 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Given the price range you're looking at, the G37, Nissan's 370z, 2008 Lexus GS450h/460 would be great choices. But even though the IS F is a high performance car, the maintenance on them is very light in terms of costs compared to other high performance vehicles. And though the M3 is a really great car as with most German cars as UCrazyKid mentioned, maintenance will likely become an issue beyond the oil changes, tires, and pads. Personally, if I didn't get the F, I would probably have gotten a GS450h.

Quick Reply: [Maintenance] Would love to buy one, but...