Rat nest inside engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 01:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by fraguada1
I just got an IS F 2011 two weeks ago. After two days I heard a clicking noise on the driver side of the engine. When I check I found the Rat Nest on the diver side. Yes my friends an Illegal rat from Japan had chewed up most of the foam of the engine cover etc...The Newport Beach Lexus dealer gave me a free maintenance warranty for five years to take care of the problem. This last Saturday I park the car and the battery went dead in four hrs. I noticed that the GPS unit will not turned off as usual. Any Advice?
If you can establish that the "Rat Problem" was there before two days of owning the Brand New IS-F..

..I think it would be safe to say that they should be able to give you a new IS-F, if it continues to have minor/major eletrical problems..

You just have to talk to the right people at the dealership.... !!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-10-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 03:51 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
This wouldn't necessarily be a lemon because a rat is eating up the wiring harness. If they try to fix and after about 3 or 4 reasonable attempts, there is still a problem, then you might be able to claim a lemon buy back and this would only apply to defects from the manufacturing process, not because a rat made the engine bay his home. Otherwise, if the OP is just going to go back in and discuss the problem as it currently stands, I think the best he may ask for is for Lexus to simply buy back the car as a good will gesture but my guess is they're not going to do that just because of "a rat." I'm guessing they're going to try to fix it first and then see where that takes them.

besides, he can't necessarily prove that the rat was there when he picked up the car and if it was, the OP really should have looked over the car when he picked it up. Maybe the rat was living in the garage and since he's brough home the new car, decided to make the engine bay his home.

I find it odd that a rat would successfully make an engine bay his home unless the OP isn't driving the car on a regular basis. If that's the case, then the likelyhood of the rat making the engine bay his home is more likely.

Good luck.

I believe the OP stated that the rat was fluent in Japanese and has a penchant for unfiltered Saki. It seems pretty obvious to me that it was a pre-existing condition.
Old 03-10-11, 05:38 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
What if the factory has a rat problem ?
More likely a rat infested container ship that the cars were transported on from Japan. Or a rat infested dealer lot. Still this is Toyota's problem as they were in possession and the "owners" of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by bam
This wouldn't necessarily be a lemon because a rat is eating up the wiring harness. If they try to fix and after about 3 or 4 reasonable attempts, there is still a problem, then you might be able to claim a lemon buy back ....
I think you missed the part where I said "In the making". Obviously one trip to get it fixed is not a lemon law issue. However if he continues to have electrical issues that require 3,4-6... trips, then yes, a lemon law case he might have.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Looks like a lemon law case in the making. document everything carefully and get the names of everyone you ever speak to regarding this issue. messed up electrical systems are a big deal and the reason so many "flood" cars are totalled. The problems are often very hard to fix.

Good luck, be persistent.
Old 03-10-11, 07:13 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics or FAIL!!!!
Old 03-11-11, 04:59 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I believe the OP stated that the rat was fluent in Japanese and has a penchant for unfiltered Saki. It seems pretty obvious to me that it was a pre-existing condition.
The OP said NO SUCH THING!! What he actually said was that the rat may have actually been an "Illegal from Mexico" as he has no less than 15 family members with him, and all were wearing very colorful garb, stumbling all over the engine, singing "Feliz Navidad" one bared a striking resemblance to Julio Iglesias
That being said, if you really think these Mexican rats were there before you received the vehicle, convey that to the dealership, however, if they were took up residence 1 second AFTER you received the vehicle, YOU need to call insurance, and find out if this type of incident is covered under your policy... Don't be surprised if it is NOT covered, many polices have an exclusion clause for rodents and vermin... Ask me how I know!! AARRGGG
Old 03-11-11, 06:45 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ming15237
The OP said NO SUCH THING!! What he actually said was that the rat may have actually been an "Illegal from Mexico" as he has no less than 15 family members with him, and all were wearing very colorful garb, stumbling all over the engine, singing "Feliz Navidad" one bared a striking resemblance to Julio Iglesias
That being said, if you really think these Mexican rats were there before you received the vehicle, convey that to the dealership, however, if they were took up residence 1 second AFTER you received the vehicle, YOU need to call insurance, and find out if this type of incident is covered under your policy... Don't be surprised if it is NOT covered, many polices have an exclusion clause for rodents and vermin... Ask me how I know!! AARRGGG

You forgot the cockroaches!!!! FTW
Old 03-11-11, 06:51 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

keep this thread updated.
Old 03-11-11, 09:28 AM
kraven9
Lead Lap

Two weeks old, I would definitely take that ***** back. That's definitely unacceptable.
Old 03-11-11, 09:39 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

F*** the lemon law, A rats nest from the factory is unacceptable. Call Lexus corporate if the dealership if being stupid. There is no way you spend 70k on a car and then have problems like this.

This story ruined my day thinking about what kind of s*** the dealerships try to pull these days.

Hope everything works out for you man.
Old 03-11-11, 03:20 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

@OP...The only way you'll have a case is if you can prove that the rat was there when you took delivery. Otherwise, the dealer will tell you to pound sand. As I said in my previous post, who's to say that the dealer didn't deliver you a car in good order and then when you took it back to your garage, the rat invaded the engine compartment at that time. You have no proof that the dealer delivered you a car with a rat and I don't think this will turn out in your favor.

Also, I don't see how this can turn into a lemon case as a lemon deals with a manufacturer defect that isn't fixed within 3 or 4 reasonable attempts. In this case, having a rat chew through electrical wires is not a manufacturer defect but just a run of bad luck. It might run into a courtesy buy back but I think that might be a stretch because the OP doesn't have anything to prove that the rat took up residence before he took possesion of the car.

In any case, when you take possesion, you sign a doc (at least in CA) of no cooling off and the car is delivered "as is" unless a written to be delivered document is completed lsiting any and all item still awaiting completion.

Either way, good luck. I know I would be pissed.
Old 03-12-11, 06:11 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fraguada1
I just got an IS F 2011 two weeks ago. After two days I heard a clicking noise on the driver side of the engine. When I check I found the Rat Nest on the diver side. Yes my friends an Illegal rat from Japan had chewed up most of the foam of the engine cover etc...The Newport Beach Lexus dealer gave me a free maintenance warranty for five years to take care of the problem. This last Saturday I park the car and the battery went dead in four hrs. I noticed that the GPS unit will not turned off as usual. Any Advice?
Glad the dealer was willing to help out! I'd do a DNA analysis and see if the rat indeed does speak Japanese to make sure the rat is not American. If not, it will be difficult to make the claim that the damage was happening prior to taking delivery. Did you not check under the hood during delivery of the car?
Old 04-12-11, 08:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

How could a decent PDI miss a rat infestation? Either the service department is slacking, or the rat got in the car after purchase.
Old 04-13-11, 04:01 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rat was probably related to the salesman that sold you the car.
Old 04-13-11, 05:25 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
I can't believe nobody has asked for pictures, where are they?

My girlfriend purchased a brand new BMW 328 last year, during the first two months she had to take the car for warranty work probably 4 times, all of them related to brakes. The last time the car was in the dealer for 2 weeks. She was driving loaners more than her own car, she was pissed, so she complained big time to the service advisor, service manager, and dealer manager. The answer was that they were covering everything under warranty and she shouldn't worry or complain. Paying more than $40k for a car, being a loyal BWM customer, wasting her time driving the car to the dealer over and over, doing the loaner paperwork, etc., she was so upset that she sent a letter to BMW of North America (corporate offices). She was contacted immediately by BMW and they opened a case, at the end they gave the dealer a warning and she got another new BMW.

Good luck.
haha thats awesome!
Old 04-14-11, 07:32 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you missed the part where I said "In the making". Obviously one trip to get it fixed is not a lemon law issue. However if he continues to have electrical issues that require 3,4-6... trips, then yes, a lemon law case he might have.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this would still not be a lemon issue in the making because it's not a manufacturer defect. A lemon can be claimed if he can show that an electrical problem has arisen and after multiple reasonable attempts to get it fixed, the dealer can't resolve the issue. Again, the key is that this is a manufacturer defect and not a rat caused issue. At best, the OP can ask for a courtesy buy back but again, my point is that if he can't prove that the rats were there before he picked up the car, he'll have an uphill battle.

Of course, as some of the previous posters mentioned, I believe the fact that the rat is fluent is japanese will help prove that the rat took up residence before he actually signed the papers.

Quick Reply: Rat nest inside engine compartment