IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Where to take F to get Tires Installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 03:14 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where to take F to get Tires Installed?

Where do you guys take your F to get Tires installed? Reason i am asking, i went to NTB n couple other tire shops with my own tires...they attempted to take off the old tires, came back and said that they don't have the right machine to take off these low profile tires.

Any advice would be appreciated...I am in Cherry Hill, NJ

Thanks.
Old 03-11-11, 03:38 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow really? Basically any wheel/tire shop in my area would be able to do it. Although I never go to chain places such as big-o-tires or wheel works as they always seem to charge the most.
Old 03-11-11, 03:46 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm...Discount or Les Schwab? Every competent tire shop should have the equipment to take off "low profile" tires nowadays.
Old 03-11-11, 03:48 PM
Salil022
Instructor

That's what i thought this morning...i don't want to go to stealership and pay really crazy amount.
Old 03-11-11, 04:07 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had good experience with Discount Tire when buying SP2s. There were no issues.
Old 03-11-11, 04:27 PM
huksa
Rookie

Well, I live in Philly and always use Swyka Auto in Delaware for repairs not covered under warranty.
They've replaced my nailed front tire with no sweat. Although in DE, it's only 20 minutes drive from Philadelphia.
Old 03-11-11, 05:45 PM
Salil022
Instructor

thanks...I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see if they are open on Saturdays.
Old 03-11-11, 05:58 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Try Imagine Audio on Haddonfield Rd across from the mall. They do a lot of cars for the Philly pro athletes. Not sure how much they charge you but it's local.
Old 03-11-11, 08:35 PM
Salil022
Instructor

I'll def. check them out tomorrow morning as they are right in the area....
Old 03-11-11, 09:07 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, are you serious? i go to mavis. i'm sure it's more than a no name place, but i'm afraid a smaller, cheaper place would not pay $1700 for a replacement rim if something goes wrong. bigger shops like mavis should, at least the one i go to assured me they would, and so far no problems! i think it was around $20 per tire change.
Old 03-12-11, 08:13 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

TireRack has lists of recommended (on the basis of customer feedback) installers. Just input your zip. Have had excellent results.
Old 03-12-11, 11:33 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
TireRack has lists of recommended (on the basis of customer feedback) installers. Just input your zip. Have had excellent results.
Be careful with TireRack's recommended installers. I don't know TireRack's criteria for selecting these facilities, but some can be horrible, as was my experience about 6 years ago. They sent my SUV tires to a shop that was more like a local hillbilly junkyard than quality shop. I was stuck btw a rock and a hard place b/c I wasn't going to tell the guy I'm taking the tires somewhere else to have then installed, since he was an "official TireRack installer." The tires were too big to fit all in my SUV anyways. It was very awkward, and one of those situations where I just wanted to let him do whatever he needs to do and get the F out of there.

Maybe TireRack has changed their criteria, but don't expect any one of those quality/clean tire chains to be a TireRack installer. They have their own tires to sell you. Therefore what's left are local tire shops that might not be all what you think......
Old 03-12-11, 02:03 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had good luck w/ Discount tire.
Old 03-12-11, 03:11 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Went to a local shop here around the area...Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 03-13-11, 07:14 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurduePete

Maybe TireRack has changed their criteria, but don't expect any one of those quality/clean tire chains to be a TireRack installer. They have their own tires to sell you. Therefore what's left are local tire shops that might not be all what you think......
Interesting. The last time I used a TR installer, it wasn't particularly polished but they did a good job. But I was also only using them for mounting/balancing since I'd already bought the tires from TR.

And although some of the chains wanted nothing to do with me ("We can't mount tires you didn't buy from us. It's against the law......." C'mon! If you have a policy, fine.), there are several Goodyear stores listed.

But your experience certainly points up the need for some amount of local due diligence. Another reason CL is so valuable - usually lots of local recommendations based on personal experience!

Quick Reply: Where to take F to get Tires Installed?