IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire help please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11 | 09:21 AM
HWDesign
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire help please...

Looking for some advice on Tires and you all seem to know what you're talking about. Not being a car guy I'm looking for help before we call the service dept of the dealership.

Two days ago I bought a 2010 IS350c with the F Sport package. It's an amazing car that looks great and is sweet to drive. Except the roads in NY State are crap. Pot holes everywhere. One of which we hit last night and we got a flat. Good news was that it was on a dark road in the country and the Supermoon was huge.

SO my question is this. Is their another tire that can be put on this 19" F Sport rim that will look good and give us more durability. We like to have fun in the car but are not into tracks and super high performance. So any advice you can offer would be great I don't want to not drive the car but I can't have my wife and son getting flats all the time...
Old 03-20-11 | 11:00 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

When you hit a pothole, it crushes the tire into the wheel. What you need is more sidewall. You're not going to get it with 19 inch wheels.

You could use a smaller wheel with a higher ratio tire (snows) to get you through the winter months and use the 19 inch rims for summer tires. You will have to make sure that the wheels fit over your brake calipers.
Old 03-20-11 | 11:06 AM
HWDesign
Driver School Candidate

thanks tenspeed.

kinda what I suspected. I was hoping for some kind of tire that was a bit more forging despite the lack of sidewall...
Old 03-20-11 | 11:32 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HWDesign
kinda what I suspected. I was hoping for some kind of tire that was a bit more forging despite the lack of sidewall...
You're welcome.

The SC's have run flat tires with sturdy sidewalls because they don't carry a spare tire. They don't have the "feel" that people want due to the lack of side wall flex. Maybe a set of run flats would give you a little more durability during pot hole season. I'm in western NY and need snows just to get out of my driveway. I have noticed a bunch of pot holes lately.
Old 03-20-11 | 11:56 AM
MiiK350
Racer

I have taken some EPIC pot holes that bent my rims to hell, but my Hankooks V12's held strong. I'm not sure how strong the side walls are(I think I read somewhere that they're actually soft) but I'm talking about multiple potholes with depths to china.