IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Removing stuck on brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 07:36 PM
jlt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use Sonax first. It is meant to eat up the iron deposits. If that doesn't work try Meguiars Wheel Brightner. Megs WB is an acid so be careful.
Old 04-01-11, 12:05 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sonax review

I got some Sonax from autogeek.com and tried it out yesterday evening. It's pretty good stuff, but really no better than the other wheel cleaners I've tried (Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel, Black Magic All Wheel, Eagle One All Wheel, Simple Green) in my opinion. Sonax went on green, but appeared to turn red mostly on the rotors. And it does smell funny. Anyway, I still have some brake dust caked up in the corners of the wheels. So, I'm going to try a wheel brush designed to get into tight spaces (the one I used last night was really too big). I believe that a special wheel brush paired up with one of the cleaners mentioned above should do it for my case.
Old 04-01-11, 03:52 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I got some Sonax from autogeek.com and tried it out yesterday evening. It's pretty good stuff, but really no better than the other wheel cleaners I've tried (Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel, Black Magic All Wheel, Eagle One All Wheel, Simple Green) in my opinion. Sonax went on green, but appeared to turn red mostly on the rotors. And it does smell funny. Anyway, I still have some brake dust caked up in the corners of the wheels. So, I'm going to try a wheel brush designed to get into tight spaces (the one I used last night was really too big). I believe that a special wheel brush paired up with one of the cleaners mentioned above should do it for my case.
keep us posted, and i figured the sonax wouldnt do the trick
we need a solution to get the caked on tight spots clean
Old 04-02-11, 07:13 PM
is-fowner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evil Teo,Is right 100 %. Pick up sonax ,diablo wheel gel ,or P21s agitate with a swissvax wheel brush. Then to seal I recommend Poor Boys wheel sealent don't be fooled by the name Fantastic stuff highly aclaimed.
Old 04-07-11, 07:20 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Wand

keep us posted, and i figured the sonax wouldnt do the trick
we need a solution to get the caked on tight spots clean
I used this microfiber wheel wand last night with some Black Magic Wheel Cleaner. It worked pretty good. Some of the spots required a lot of scrubbing. But the brush just fits almost perfect in between the smaller spokes on the 2010 wheels. When I go back to get the spots I missed, I'll use a tougher wheel cleaner like Meguiars Hot Rims or Sonax. But, keep in mind, my caked on brake dust was pretty mild. In any case, it's a good solution for just regular wheel maintenance. I picked up my brush at AutoZone for $5. Here is a link on Amazon for $4. http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Microfi.../dp/B001Q8DMC8
Attached Thumbnails Removing stuck on brake dust-wheelbrush.jpg