IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Removing stuck on brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 05:56 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing stuck on brake dust

I've accumulated a small amount of brake dust in the corners of the spokes on the front wheels. It did not come off with my usual wheel clean.

What product and process should I use to remove this stuck on dust without hurting the wheels? I plan to wax after to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

I did search and saw people say to use Eagle one A2Z but I think that's more for wheels w/ brake dust that isn't stuck on, correct?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
DCoolBeans (08-18-19)
Old 03-22-11, 06:29 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the Eagle one is more of a routine cleaner. I've tried several wheel cleaners, and none of them cut through brake dust quite like Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. It is definately better than Eagle One IMO. I'd say to get some of that and wash them several times with it, trying to let it soak as much as possible before scrubbing. You might also want to try a wheel brush with soft bristles. I have one from Turtle Wax that is made just for wheels. It has soft bristles and won't scratch your rims. I've used it on all my Lexus wheels and they look great. Hope these tips help.
Old 03-22-11, 08:40 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try sonax wheel cleaner. It is the best out there. also replace ur oem brake pads to less dusty brake pads so u dont have to deal with it again.

i forgot to mention u could try the armor all brake dust spray. it repells the brake dust for a couple of days.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 03-22-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 08:43 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy, don't use brakes, just go faster and turn harder.

Personally I used a plastic brush and a quick spray of armor all wheel cleaner.
Old 03-22-11, 09:21 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Thanks guys. Gonna go pick up the meguire's wednesday and try it out. If that doesn't work i'll pick up the sonax stuff. Probably pick up a soft brush as well.

I actually have the Hawk HPS pads on the front and I noticed a little less dust but not night and day like others have posted. I think I just need to wax the wheels after getting them super clean so the dust doesn't stick as easily. I have never waxed the wheels before so I'm fairly positive that's the cause of my problem.
Old 03-22-11, 09:54 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I have this same problem but the above cleaners have not really worked for me. I guess my brake dust is pretty severe compared to others. Does anyone know if claybar will fix the problem?
Old 03-22-11, 10:08 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
I have this same problem but the above cleaners have not really worked for me. I guess my brake dust is pretty severe compared to others. Does anyone know if claybar will fix the problem?
That's not a bad idea. I have some of that already at my house. It wouldn't hurt to try on a little area and see if it takes it off. Just definitely be sure to wax afterwards as that takes off any protectant that you had on before.
Old 03-22-11, 11:14 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

claying should work.
Old 03-22-11, 11:52 AM
andysvette
Driver

My 08 wheels were highly neglected. The previous owner apparently NEVER cleaned the wheels. With 20K on the clock you can imagine the build up… I tried everything with no success. As a last resort I used some steel wool. 0000 which is the finest that I could find. I don’t recommend this but it was the only thing that worked.
Old 03-22-11, 03:47 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sonax wheel cleaner, as Evil Teo mentioned earlier, is a great choice. It really gets the job done. It won't smell nice, but I'll take the finished product over the chemical smell any day. I've heard mixed reviews about the Armol All Wheel Protectant. I myself used it just to see if it worked, and it was barely any better than wheel washing every time after you drive somewhere. There was less brake dust on the wheel itself, but not enough to go more than a week without washing the wheels.
Old 03-22-11, 03:59 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

I have used a kitchen cleanser for tough spots on my wheels and white daily driver. I've tried many other cleaners but nothing has beaten Soft Scrub. It's a polishing compound and soap mixture that doesn't scratch. $3 a quart in the supermarket.
Old 03-23-11, 12:07 AM
ILL250
Driver

Not sure if its safe on the wheels but "Easy Off" oven cleaner worked like a charm when I had heavy brake dust on my rims that wouldnt come off during regular car wash. Spray, wait a min, wipe and you'll have a clean rim.
Old 03-23-11, 02:00 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ive tried a claybar on certain tiny effected areas of mine and it didnt work,
so a good solution would be nice to try
Old 03-23-11, 04:39 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=dsg03svt;6244676]I've accumulated a small amount of brake dust in the corners of the spokes on the front wheels. It did not come off with my usual wheel clean.

What product and process should I use to remove this stuck on dust without hurting the wheels? I plan to wax after to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

I did search and saw people say to use Eagle one A2Z but I think that's more for wheels w/ brake dust that isn't stuck on, correct?

One product I used that worked was called (and this is NO JOKE) "f u k k e n Wax" I picked it up at Big Lots store because I liked the name. I figured I could use it on my Jeep as I don't really care if it damages the paint as much as my car. Well on the jeep it worked pretty good, and was GREAT at removing pine tree sap which as we all know can be a real B*%#@!! Now I would NEVER try to use it as described ("Just spray it right over the dirt and wipe it clean") The thought of that makes me cringe! So I figured what the hell I'll try it on my wheels on the F. I sprayed it on and went and had a beer... 5min later (hey what do ya want I was thirsty!) I came back and rubbed the wheels clean! I was very surprised to find that it cleaned the caked on brake dust out of the corners of the spokes and left a nice shine behind. I will say this is the easiest time I have had cleaning these piece of crap wheels since I have owned the car! It's F U K K E N WAX for my wheels from here on in!! http://www.f u k k enwax.com/
hope this helps guys!
Old 03-23-11, 09:06 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=ming15237;6247735]
Originally Posted by dsg03svt
I've accumulated a small amount of brake dust in the corners of the spokes on the front wheels. It did not come off with my usual wheel clean.

One product I used that worked was called (and this is NO JOKE) "f u k k e n Wax" I picked it up at Big Lots store because I liked the name. I figured I could use it on my Jeep as I don't really care if it damages the paint as much as my car. Well on the jeep it worked pretty good, and was GREAT at removing pine tree sap which as we all know can be a real B*%#@!! Now I would NEVER try to use it as described ("Just spray it right over the dirt and wipe it clean") The thought of that makes me cringe! So I figured what the hell I'll try it on my wheels on the F. I sprayed it on and went and had a beer... 5min later (hey what do ya want I was thirsty!) I came back and rubbed the wheels clean! I was very surprised to find that it cleaned the caked on brake dust out of the corners of the spokes and left a nice shine behind. I will say this is the easiest time I have had cleaning these piece of crap wheels since I have owned the car! It's F U K K E N WAX for my wheels from here on in!! http://www.f u k k enwax.com/
hope this helps guys!
hmm u gave me an idea to try out. i will try wheel wax spray and see if that does it.

also everyone else using soap or kitchen cleaner, make sure the ingredients they use are not acidic type. it will ruin ur rims in the long run.

Quick Reply: Removing stuck on brake dust