IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 09:20 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mercurymet
Are you thinking about getting black for quick visual inspections if your pulled over or for a full inspections? It seems that the black wouldn't really look that stock anyhow....but I guess it wouldn't stand out as much as silver.

I'm trying to decide between the two. I figured if I go with silver, I'd just go to a couple "special" places for the full inspection.

FYI if your'e in the SF area, I got an install quote from a reputable SF speed shop for 600-700. also 3 pulls w/o A/F ratios for 80, so an additional 160 for before and after #s.
Yea black would easily fool a cop looking. With smog several years down the road, a cop is the only person that could send us to the REF.
By Smog time, i'll will have stripped the parts and sold the car.

Ive got a buddy that owns a shop and dyno i'll be utilizing with a discount

~Dv8
Old 05-04-11, 11:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,905 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Looking under my hood, you can't see the headers unless you have a flashlight, and then only one tube on the left side. There's a lot of plastic shielding. Anyone looking from above is not going to see anything. And besides, the heatshields on the stock manifolds are silver anyway, so even if you could see them, you really wouldn't know. Now when the car is up on a lift, that's a different story, you can definitely see that a header is installed.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails PPE Headers-cat2s.jpg  
Old 05-04-11, 11:59 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Would ....

Joe-Z + PPE Headers = Obnoxiously Loud IS-F?
Old 05-04-11, 01:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^That's really a personal question. IMHO, any of the third party exhausts are too loud for my taste. That's why I had my system fabricated using the stock mufflers. However, many folks disagree with me, hence the popularity of the JoeZ system. I have seen and heard it. It is superbly crafted with great fit and finish, but, as I have said, just too loud for me. For others, it's music to their ears. Adding cats may tone down a PPE/JoeZ system. In my own case, if the headers increased the sound level with my fabricated system, it was such a minuscule amount as to be not noticeable. But, remember, I did add cats to my system when I removed the stock manifolds and added the headers.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Lou
Old 05-05-11, 03:04 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting info, I too find the JoeZ too loud for my taste. I have only had it for a day and even with cats fitted to it I find it too intrusive in the cabin.
I am now debating on getting the headers as it would be worse from a sound level perspective. I only have one week left to decide
Old 05-10-11, 06:50 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Just deposited 500. I think we are up to 8 ppl, 3 more to go for 20%

Can't wait to get them
Old 05-10-11, 10:28 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^That's really a personal question. IMHO, any of the third party exhausts are too loud for my taste. That's why I had my system fabricated using the stock mufflers. However, many folks disagree with me, hence the popularity of the JoeZ system. I have seen and heard it. It is superbly crafted with great fit and finish, but, as I have said, just too loud for me. For others, it's music to their ears. Adding cats may tone down a PPE/JoeZ system. In my own case, if the headers increased the sound level with my fabricated system, it was such a minuscule amount as to be not noticeable. But, remember, I did add cats to my system when I removed the stock manifolds and added the headers.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Lou
Gotcha Lou,

See PERSONALLY the Joe-z to me is Sex every single time I start that car. I actually look forward to the purr. But I HAVE heard some say that yes, it's a bit loud for their taste. My problem I think, is I haven't heard it from Outside the car, only when I drive and it doesn't sound to obnoxious to me.

My fear, is that adding headers might take away from that luxurious Lexus growl and make the F sound like a cheap muscle car. Otherwise I'd be in for the headers group buy. That and also, the installation of headers scares me. Not doing it myself, but even a shop doing that much work and having to drop the engine and all that makes me cringe. I don't know of a reputable place to bring it to down here in NY. Closest place I know that has done this header installation is up in MD (4 hours away) and they used the original Sikky Headers I believe.
Old 05-10-11, 11:27 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I'm planning to use a local place for the header install. They do a lot of custom work to Lambos, Aston Martins, Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys and all kinds of BMWs and I've been very happy with them over the years. Some of their stuff is pretty impressive, talking 1,000+ HP cars that are actually drivable. From what I understand, they've done a fair share of headers, just no IS-Fs yet. If you want their contact information, PM me.
Old 05-11-11, 01:14 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Gotcha Lou,

See PERSONALLY the Joe-z to me is Sex every single time I start that car. I actually look forward to the purr. But I HAVE heard some say that yes, it's a bit loud for their taste. My problem I think, is I haven't heard it from Outside the car, only when I drive and it doesn't sound to obnoxious to me.

My fear, is that adding headers might take away from that luxurious Lexus growl and make the F sound like a cheap muscle car.

I love the sound of headers + Joe Z It gives it a mean grumble. Here is a video of my car with the sikky one's. Just a quick blast. I'll be in NY with my F sometime during the 2nd week of June if you wanna hear it in person before making the investment.

Oh also you drop the subframe and the engine just goes down a bit, its not like removing the whole engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKoQvg2QbpE
Old 05-11-11, 01:34 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ It does still sound really good in your video. I wish I could hear your car in person lol. How much different did your car feel after the sikky's?
Old 05-11-11, 03:14 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Infinus, car sounds good man.

Question:

You had the Joe-z Exhaust on first before the headers (and any Joe-z Owner with headers if you can chime in on this as well) how much louder did your F become POST header install.

My hesitation with headers, is it's not like an intake you can DIY it and remove if you don't like the sound, or feel of your car after. Headers to me is a big move, something IMO you have to fully know what your getting into. Did you get on the dyno post header install too?

Do different headers produce different sounds, just like exhausts I assume? So an IS-F with PPE headers and JZ exhaust would vary from one with Sikky headers and JZ exhaust... etc etc ...

How's your MPG effected as well? Or haven't you taken notice?
Old 05-11-11, 05:24 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Question:

You had the Joe-z Exhaust on first before the headers (and any Joe-z Owner with headers if you can chime in on this as well) how much louder did your F become POST header install.

My hesitation with headers, is it's not like an intake you can DIY it and remove if you don't like the sound, or feel of your car after. Headers to me is a big move, something IMO you have to fully know what your getting into. Did you get on the dyno post header install too?

Do different headers produce different sounds, just like exhausts I assume? So an IS-F with PPE headers and JZ exhaust would vary from one with Sikky headers and JZ exhaust... etc etc ...

The car does indeed get louder POST header install but in a good way for most. Though if you install high flow cats to a car with the headers/JoeZ exhaust combo, the car actually tones down significantly and drone is almost eliminated. <<< I believe it is actually quieter and deeper sounding than with the JoeZ exhaust alone! With just the JOEZ exhaust and stock headers I know the car still drones quit a bit and I can tell you that with high flow cats added to your header/JoeZ combo that you will be a very happy camper. The car sounds very sophisticated in a pissed off Lexus sorta way. No resonance and little to no drone.

I do not believe different headers for this car will make a difference in sound. The exhaust configuration will contribute the most with the various midpipe configurations, mufflers and resonators available.

From what I have noticed MPG hasn't been affected.

I also have a video of my car with headers/JoeZ exhaust that I love. It certainly doesn't sound like a cheap V8 even without HF cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyD2mWWPRrk

Last edited by caymandive; 05-11-11 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-11-11, 06:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Just a Reminder - The Group Buy ends today

Lou
Old 05-12-11, 12:08 PM
Fischy13
Rookie

Does anyone have an exhaust clip of what the PPE headers sound like with factory exhaust? Also - does the dipstick need to be relocated with these guys?
Old 05-12-11, 12:57 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
^^^ It does still sound really good in your video. I wish I could hear your car in person lol. How much different did your car feel after the sikky's?
Next time I'm in vegas I'll let you know, we might stop by on our trip but I'm not sure. Seeing as how that's towards the end I don't think we'll spend too much time there since we'll be too poor to gamble. It certainly felt a bit different. That's the highest HP mod I've ever done to a car so it was certainly fun. I'm going to have a thread on here following our progress on the trip and a live GPS tracker showing our location as we go along.

Question:

The car did indeed become louder but honestly I expected it to be louder than it really was. I'm not sure if I'm the person to be a judge of loudness though since I'm always blasting my home theater, stereo, and I live 15 minutes from an air force base so my definition of loud might be a little different.

I did a dyno but it was 90+ degrees out and the car was heat soaked when I did it and I didn't have a before dyno to compare it to so I can't really testify to a hp number but my track times did go down by .3 of a second in the 1/4 which is pretty significant to me.

It sounds mean but not like my brothers vette which is still louder and more raw. I'd say its mean with a side of sophistication if that makes any sense.

With all the mods I've done I haven't seen any drop in gas mileage. My averages are still the same as when I was stock which surprised me.

If you're hesitant I would try to meet up with someone who has them and hear it in person before making the investment.

Quick Reply: PPE Headers