IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 01:01 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Fischy13
Does anyone have an exhaust clip of what the PPE headers sound like with factory exhaust? Also - does the dipstick need to be relocated with these guys?
Yes, the Dipstick gets relocated. The kit comes complete with a new dipstick tube and the necessary attachments. It's moved forward about four inches. I posted a soundclip with my modified exhaust back on page six of this thread. I'll reattach it here again My exhaust is basically a true dual with 2 HiFlow cats followed by an X pipe, two glasspack resonators and I retained the stock mufflers. For me, all the third party exhausts were just too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPxWgn-NpA

Lou
Old 05-12-11, 01:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Do different headers produce different sounds, just like exhausts I assume? So an IS-F with PPE headers and JZ exhaust would vary from one with Sikky headers and JZ exhaust... etc etc ...
Exhaust systems definitely do sound differently from each other due to different muffler designs, resonators, crossover pipe, pipe diameter and etc. I would not expect different header designs to sound much different from each other though.

Lou
Old 05-13-11, 02:46 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by infinus
Next time I'm in vegas I'll let you know, we might stop by on our trip but I'm not sure. Seeing as how that's towards the end I don't think we'll spend too much time there since we'll be too poor to gamble. It certainly felt a bit different. That's the highest HP mod I've ever done to a car so it was certainly fun. I'm going to have a thread on here following our progress on the trip and a live GPS tracker showing our location as we go along.
Sweet let me know for sure. I would love to hear your car in person and maybe go for a quick ride to see the difference. Hit me up.
Old 05-15-11, 03:09 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infinus
I love the sound of headers + Joe Z It gives it a mean grumble. Here is a video of my car with the sikky one's. Just a quick blast. I'll be in NY with my F sometime during the 2nd week of June if you wanna hear it in person before making the investment.

Oh also you drop the subframe and the engine just goes down a bit, its not like removing the whole engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKoQvg2QbpE

Are you running a cat less setup? If so how is the cabin noise?
Old 05-15-11, 03:13 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
The car does indeed get louder POST header install but in a good way for most. Though if you install high flow cats to a car with the headers/JoeZ exhaust combo, the car actually tones down significantly and drone is almost eliminated. <<< I believe it is actually quieter and deeper sounding than with the JoeZ exhaust alone! With just the JOEZ exhaust and stock headers I know the car still drones quit a bit and I can tell you that with high flow cats added to your header/JoeZ combo that you will be a very happy camper. The car sounds very sophisticated in a pissed off Lexus sorta way. No resonance and little to no drone.

I do not believe different headers for this car will make a difference in sound. The exhaust configuration will contribute the most with the various midpipe configurations, mufflers and resonators available.

From what I have noticed MPG hasn't been affected.

I also have a video of my car with headers/JoeZ exhaust that I love. It certainly doesn't sound like a cheap V8 even without HF cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyD2mWWPRrk

James
Why did you remove the JoeZ?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-15-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 06:58 PM
earpig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rolled 1k on my 2011 and ready for more sound. I guess I've missed out on this group buy but are these headers available otherwise like the Sikky's.
From all I've read so far I'd prefer these... Will there be another group?
Old 05-15-11, 07:34 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What makes you prefer these over the Sikky's? Just curious. The people who have Sikky's on their car seem very happy with them.
Old 05-16-11, 02:30 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Are you running a cat less setup? If so how is the cabin noise?
Yes its cat-less setup. I personally love the noise in the cabin, when not accelerating its barely audible but when you are you can hear it pretty well. I know some people have added sound deadening in the trunk to cut down on the noise but its all personal preference.
Old 05-17-11, 09:50 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by earpig
Just rolled 1k on my 2011 and ready for more sound. I guess I've missed out on this group buy but are these headers available otherwise like the Sikky's.
From all I've read so far I'd prefer these... Will there be another group?
Have a look here
http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestor...?categoryId=35

Last edited by yemgi; 05-18-11 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-11, 01:35 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

^^saw that too! Wonder if we can still jump on it.
Old 05-17-11, 03:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You'll never know unless you try!

Lou
Old 05-18-11, 10:47 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

^^Just got a response from PPE for those interested. They can still do GB pricing today if you do the following: "Though the group buy did end. If you put a deposit down today, I will give you the same pricing. It may take an additional week to build as we already cut flanges and order the tube for the rest of the orders. Let me know. You will have to go to the custom order payment section of our webstore: www.ppeengineering-onlinestore.com and put 500 in the quantity then add to cart. Please notate the color of the coating you want and if you want cats."

Hope that helps for those still interested.
Old 09-22-11, 07:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Just an update for you folks. Five months and 2,400 miles after header installation, my CEL came on. It happened on my way home from Las Vegas 2 weeks ago. The day after I got home, it disappeared. On Tuesday of this week, it reappeared and would not go away. I went up to PPE this afternoon, and the scan tool reported it as the dreaded code P0430. So, even with cats, it MAY report a code. PPE, Paul, installed the o2 simulator (conditioner) and all is now well. I'm still enjoying my headers and the added power feels great. I just thought I'd update you folks.

While I was there, Paul told me he hasn't been sending out the conditioner for installations that will contain a cat, based on my experiences. This will now change, and he will send out the conditioner with all headers.

BTW, the conditioner installation requires no exhaust work, it's all electronic down from up top under the hood, and once installed it's hidden under a cover, and is undetectable unless some one is looking for it.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-22-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 10:26 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Just an update for you folks. Five months and 2,400 miles after header installation, my CEL came on. It happened on my way home from Las Vegas 2 weeks ago. The day after I got home, it disappeared. On Tuesday of this week, it reappeared and would not go away. I went up to PPE this afternoon, and the scan tool reported it as the dreaded code P0430. So, even with cats, it MAY report a code. PPE, Paul, installed the o2 simulator (conditioner) and all is now well. I'm still enjoying my headers and the added power feels great. I just thought I'd update you folks.

While I was there, Paul told me he hasn't been sending out the conditioner for installations that will contain a cat, based on my experiences. This will now change, and he will send out the conditioner with all headers.

BTW, the conditioner installation requires no exhaust work, it's all electronic down from up top under the hood, and once installed it's hidden under a cover, and is undetectable unless some one is looking for it.

Lou
I noticed that I didnt get one in the box when I got my headers a couple months ago, but I did get cats. My plan the whole time was to flange the cats for off and on operation. I called Paul and he sent out one right away. When I had the headers installed I had the conditioner installed as well. No lights, with or without cats!

~Dv8
Old 01-19-12, 05:40 PM
ncorrea
Rookie

I know I am reviving this thread after a few months since last post but I am trying to look into feedback from the CL members on whether they encountered any other issues at all with the PPE header design.

My biggest concern is dealing with trying to get a CEL to disappear after it all started. I am basically disputing between Sikky and PPE headers depending on price and whether I would like to Jet coat them black.

I am currently saving up so that way I can just do an intake/headers/exhaust combo all at the same time and would like to line everything up before I purchase.

Quick Reply: PPE Headers