IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exhaust Manifold Choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 04:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Was going to post this in the PPE thread but figured it probably belonged here instead.

So someone help clue me in here cause I am obviously not understanding something right. I know that from one dyno to the next things read differently however.
Yep, I think I can - But it is just My Opinion - JE uses, IMHO, a very optimistic dynamometer, a Dynapak. In the PPE thread I have included runs from my runs with a DynoJet and Caymandive's also run on a dynojet. He had Sikky headers, a JoeZ exhaust and no cats. His best run was 385.8 HP and mine was 382.0 HP. I have PPE headers, a Fabricated dual exhaust utilizing stock mufflers and Magnaflow cats. So, Camandive and I dynod on the same brand of dyno, on a day with a similar temperature. My exhaust is a little more restrictive than his (stock mufflers vs JoeZ and Cats vs no cats). The decision is yours

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Manifold Choices-before-and-after.jpg   Exhaust Manifold Choices-4709198297_194434b554_b.jpg  
Old 04-05-11, 07:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Wow. The PPE headers are significantly better according to those two dynos. Torque is flatter and higher from 2.5k to 5k, and just plain better for a street driven car. Nice work PPE!
Old 04-05-11, 08:03 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

lowrideraz thanks for the information makes a good bit more sense to me now. I had missed the fact that you and cayman had dynoed on the same type of dyno which does create a great comparison. Thanks.
Old 04-05-11, 08:59 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wow. The PPE headers are significantly better according to those two dynos. Torque is flatter and higher from 2.5k to 5k, and just plain better for a street driven car. Nice work PPE!
Based on the baseline runs, i would say the difference is just dyno's. With data this close i think we would need to see both cars on the same dyno on the same day to have a concrete difference.

Good results
Old 04-06-11, 03:20 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Based on the baseline runs, i would say the difference is just dyno's. With data this close i think we would need to see both cars on the same dyno on the same day to have a concrete difference.

Good results
That would be a heck of a lot of work based on how long it seems these headers take to install. The install time of all that would probably be 10-12 hours alone.
Old 04-06-11, 04:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yep, I think I can - But it is just My Opinion - JE uses, IMHO, a very optimistic dynamometer, a Dynapak. In the PPE thread I have included runs from my runs with a DynoJet and Caymandive's also run on a dynojet. He had Sikky headers, a JoeZ exhaust and no cats. His best run was 385.8 HP and mine was 382.0 HP. I have PPE headers, a Fabricated dual exhaust utilizing stock mufflers and Magnaflow cats. So, Camandive and I dynod on the same brand of dyno, on a day with a similar temperature. My exhaust is a little more restrictive than his (stock mufflers vs JoeZ and Cats vs no cats). The decision is yours

Lou

Hey Lou, do you remember when I had my high flow cats added to my setup that I didn't lose nor gain any power (link here)? To be honest I believe your exhaust setup is right on par with mine power wise. Your results also verify my belief that the stock mufflers flow pretty darn well and keep the noise to a minimum without causing too much of a power loss. In this case it's about 4-5hp tops. I don't believe we will ever be able to verify who makes the best power producing header. None of them are equal length and they all remove the primary cats hence producing similar gains. The decision for people will come down to price, quality and how they want to go about the O2 simulation be it pipe extensions with the PPE's or an electronic device such as with the SIKKY headers where you are guaranteed not to have any CEL come on. Just my .02 and Lou, very nice job on the work done so far.

Now I have to wonder how many people are going to go out and get some stock mufflers to fabricate onto their loud aftermarket exhaust system. Any new video of your new setup? I'd love to hear it!

Last edited by caymandive; 04-06-11 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 04:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't think you can claim from this dyno that the difference is in the headers alone. I have to wonder if the car likes the slight restriction of the stock mufflers hence the slightly higher tq from 2.5 to 5k. I know my car responded well with the addition of the high flow cats so Lou's car could be responding similarly with the cats and stock mufflers providing more power down low.

We are learning new things all the time with this car in regards to exhaust.
Old 04-06-11, 04:32 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WReuroR
That would be a heck of a lot of work based on how long it seems these headers take to install. The install time of all that would probably be 10-12 hours alone.
I definitely wouldnt test both sets on the same car. What i said would be needed is to have both cars on the same dyno on the same day. With numbers this close, i believe its the only way to choose a concrete winner. I was actually surprised to see that the products were so close in performance results. Its good for us lurking in the background waiting to whip out the credit card.

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 04-06-11 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 05:02 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I definitely wouldnt test both sets on the same car. What i said would be needed is to have both cars on the same dyno on the same day. With numbers this close, i believe its the only way to choose a concrete winner. I was actually surprised to see that the products were so close in performance results. Its good for us lurking in the background waiting to whip out the credit card.
Gotcha. And I definitely hear on sitting back and waiting to see where to spend our cash.
Old 04-06-11, 06:30 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Lou
Considering Im running the most restrictive exhaust with a header set up I would say these numbers are very real and Im also using a dynojet and the temps are very close as well.

I do find it hard to believe that if I were to throw a Joe z on or ISS forged I would only gain 10whp to match with the other 2 dynos here. If that's the case than the oem mufflers are not bad at all.

Last edited by Mitch08ISF; 04-06-11 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 08:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
The decision for people will come down to price, quality and how they want to go about the O2 simulation be it pipe extensions with the PPE's or an electronic device such as with the SIKKY headers where you are guaranteed not to have any CEL come on. Just my .02 and Lou, very nice job on the work done so far.

Now I have to wonder how many people are going to go out and get some stock mufflers to fabricate onto their loud aftermarket exhaust system. Any new video of your new setup? I'd love to hear it!
Hey Guy - PPE is considering going to the electronic device. It is now under test. I am not getting a CEL, with my setup As per your request I just recorded a new video this morning, but, IMHO, it does not do the system justice

Lou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPxWgn-NpA
Old 04-06-11, 09:33 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Default How much louder than stock is your setup?

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Considering Im running the most restrictive exhaust with a header set up I would say these numbers are very real and Im also using a dynojet and the temps are very close as well.

I do find it hard to believe that if I were to throw a Joe z on or ISS forged I would only gain 10whp to match with the other 2 dynos here. If that's the case than the oem mufflers are not bad at all.

Hi Mitch,

How much louder is it inside with just the headers? Do the secondary cats do a good enough job at removing the toxic exhaust smell?

I wonder how much more power you'd get with the Borla axle back minus the crushed stock Y.

I'm planning to pull the trigger on headers and get either the Borla axleback or have a custom axle back made so I can retain the 2ndary cats.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-06-11, 10:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Hey Tom

That's certainly an option I hadn't thought about. You should listen to the Borla, it is, IMHO, quite loud. As far as the secondary cats working, I have seen and heard the PPE Prototype Car which did have the complete stock system exhaust, and it did not smell or exhibit any signs that I could see that the secondary cats were not working.

Lou
Old 04-06-11, 10:51 AM
mercurymet
Driver

^^^^Hey Tom

That's certainly an option I hadn't thought about. You should listen to the Borla, it is, IMHO, quite loud. As far as the secondary cats working, I have seen and heard the PPE Prototype Car which did have the complete stock system exhaust, and it did not smell or exhibit any signs that I could see that the secondary cats were not working.

Lou
Lou,

Thanks for the info!

I guess I can get headers first, see how loud they are and then decide on the axle back.

Tom
Old 04-06-11, 02:36 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mercurymet
Lou,

Thanks for the info!

I guess I can get headers first, see how loud they are and then decide on the axle back.

Tom
I have the cats removed all (4) and I do get the smell if standing outside in the back of the car. The added sound is pure sex nothing too loud at all. Just get headers first then the exhaust. I just paid for my ISS forged exhaust today, but I plan on adding resonators if its too loud.

Last edited by Mitch08ISF; 04-06-11 at 08:44 PM.