IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Switching to PS2, got 32k out of the Potenzas

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 06:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
Hard to say, I went and looked them up again, looked up the numbers off the Michelin website, then went out and looked at the tires again. The rears I got are 96 (Y) (with parenthesis) the OEM Lexus version is just 96Y. The max load @ PSI and everything is right, treads are the same,etc.

The only difference I can tell is the cosmetics of the sidewall. That and $80 saved.

FWIW, the PS/2 seems to ride a bit better than the Bridgestones. Noise seems different, not worse, not better, just different kind of tire noise. Handling seems as awesome as ever.
Lexus and Lance say it's not the cosmetics of the tire, but the actual construction. Supposedly Lexus engineers worked with Michelin engineers in the development of the special ISF tire. Personally, I take that with a grain of salt. The Y you're referring to on the sidewall, is the tire's speed rating. According to the chart at the Tire Rack 96Y can go 186MPH. (96Y) can go in excess of 186MPH. My Continentals do not have the parenthesis.

Lou
Old 04-13-11, 07:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy
Not meaning to derail this thread but how do you like that suspension setup after a few months? I remember reading your review back in December. Would you still go this route rather than coilovers?
Absolutely. Coilovers will require a rebuild in its lifetime...much sooner than a regular set of shocks.

PS2's went on today. So far, I think they are a teensy bit quieter than the OEM bridgestones. Ride seems a little better too. The tiny bumps seem to be a little less brittle. Maybe because they're new.

Weird thing, on the Tirerack site, they had the exact same PS/2's listed multiple times, with different prices on the fronts and backs in each "set". So I picked the cheapest front and the cheapest rears. Saved about $80.

The sizes are right, load ratings, etc, the treads are the same, but the molding on the sides is a little different, Michelin logo and number styles are a little different front to back. Like anyone would notice.

The shop did an alignment and touched up the toe front and back. It was kind of middle on the "before" and they dialed the fronts the other way, but within spec, in response to the inner-shoulder wear. Said they might wear a little better this way, but still within the OEM range. Guess we'll see.

Hard to say, I went and looked them up again, looked up the numbers off the Michelin website, then went out and looked at the tires again. The rears I got are 96 (Y) (with parenthesis) the OEM Lexus version is just 96Y. The max load @ PSI and everything is right, treads are the same,etc.

The only difference I can tell is the cosmetics of the sidewall. That and $80 saved.

FWIW, the PS/2 seems to ride a bit better than the Bridgestones. Noise seems different, not worse, not better, just different kind of tire noise. Handling seems as awesome as ever.
Great to hear. I've always come to the conclusion that the Michelin PS2's are superior to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's that are standard on the F. The PS2's are softer tires but you will appreciate that in ride and comfort in the long run.
Old 04-14-11, 12:23 AM
larrysb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Great to hear. I've always come to the conclusion that the Michelin PS2's are superior to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's that are standard on the F. The PS2's are softer tires but you will appreciate that in ride and comfort in the long run.
Yeah, so far, I'm well pleased with the PS/2. The other thing I notice is the steering effort is less. Both at speed and at parking lot velocity. It just turns in with less effort on the steering wheel.

Kind of wonder if I should have got the Michelin Super Sports, better treadwear, less money and intended to replace the PS/2. Seems like a big win.
Old 04-15-11, 05:07 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Kind of wonder if I should have got the Michelin Super Sports, better treadwear, less money and intended to replace the PS/2. Seems like a big win.
Wow, I'm glad you mentioned these. I didn't even know they existed until now. The Pilot Super Sports seem like a great tire and even cost less than the PS2s.

300 vs 220 treadwear rating for the PSS vs PS2... likely due to the fact that the PSS starts at 10/32" while most PS2 tires start at 9/32" or 8/32".

I'm going to read more about these.
Old 04-21-11, 02:32 AM
larrysb
Driver

Slight update:

Super happy with the PS/2 vs. the Bridgestones. Overall ride quality is better, handles better.

Second update:

The difference on the ISF OEM-spec PS2: The rim protection lip is about 2mm thicker. Lexus spec'd that the sidewall have a lip molded in it to protect the rim from curbs and stuff. The Bridgestones and PS/2 OEM spec have these. The generic PS2 has it too, but not as thick.

If anyone gets the Super Sports, I'd love to hear their thoughts.
Old 04-21-11, 11:29 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

The difference on the ISF OEM-spec PS2: The rim protection lip is about 2mm thicker. Lexus spec'd that the sidewall have a lip molded in it to protect the rim from curbs and stuff. The Bridgestones and PS/2 OEM spec have these. The generic PS2 has it too, but not as thick.
Thanks for letting us know! I did notice that the OEM PS2s had very fat rim protection lips. It made the sidewall look nice and beefy.