IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Switching to PS2, got 32k out of the Potenzas

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 06:35 PM
larrysb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to PS2, got 32k out of the Potenzas

Well, I had a flat and it was a good thing too. Found a screw in the tire, but a closer examination revealed my fronts are just about dead on the inside corners. I admit, I haven't been watching them that closely lately.

Luckily, I made it almost 32k miles. So I'm biting the bullet on a set of 4 Michelin PS/2's. Went in circles with the local tire guy I used to like, so gave up and ordered a drop ship from Tire Rack to an installer around the corner from my office.

I'm pretty good about inflation pressures, but I had a lot of tread left in the center, just a smidge of wear on the outside and a lot on the inside. I guess at over 31k miles, I shouldn't complain. But if they hadn't worn on the inside shoulder so much, I could have gotten more out of them.

Last edited by larrysb; 04-05-11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 07:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

That's pretty good for the RE050A's. I'm just over 33k on my factory PS2's. I still have a few thousand miles more on these tires. I'm waiting for the PSS/PS3's to finally come out.
Old 04-05-11, 07:26 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Just curious, are you on stock suspension and what kind of alignment are you running (zero toe, etc)?
Old 04-05-11, 07:39 PM
larrysb
Driver

Originally Posted by rhy
^^ Just curious, are you on stock suspension and what kind of alignment are you running (zero toe, etc)?
Everything bone stock. Tires are original factory.
Old 04-05-11, 08:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

My IS350 wore tires perfectly. I got 33k out of a set of OEM RE050s with it. My F was not aligned with nearly the same results from the factory.
Old 04-05-11, 09:08 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i just replaced tires recently...Got 33k miles out of original potenza's, only reason i replaced tires was due to inner wear on front tires to a point where belts started to show.

However, Rears still have plenty amount of tread left with even wear.
Old 04-06-11, 06:22 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got 27000 out of my OEM Potenza's on the front. They still had a smidge of tread left on the inside tread and lots in the middle just like the OP. But I decided to go ahead and get some new ones and not push it. I replaced them with the PS2's and I love them. I still have the original Potenzas on the rear at 31000 with good tread left and wearing pretty even. To the OP, I'd say that's normal for the F. Everyone seems to be wearing on the inside for the fronts. Over 30000 miles is great. Just make sure you have the alignment checked if you didn't already when you got new tires.
Old 04-06-11, 02:00 PM
larrysb
Driver

The tires have shipped from Tire Rack and will be put on monday. The installer is not cheap, but they seem to know what they are doing and have a real alignment rack and technician. My inclination is to keep it at factory spec, but on the mark or perhaps dialed in for a little less inside wear, if possible.
Old 04-07-11, 12:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy
I'm actually running Eibach & Tokico HTS on my car right now. Everything is set to factory spec despite the fact there is a tad more negative camber due to lowering. Zero toe for sure. Toe-in condition will wear the tires out faster.
Old 04-07-11, 04:10 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'm actually running Eibach & Tokico HTS on my car right now. Everything is set to factory spec despite the fact there is a tad more negative camber due to lowering. Zero toe for sure. Toe-in condition will wear the tires out faster.
Not meaning to derail this thread but how do you like that suspension setup after a few months? I remember reading your review back in December. Would you still go this route rather than coilovers?
Old 04-12-11, 12:17 AM
larrysb
Driver

PS2's went on today. So far, I think they are a teensy bit quieter than the OEM bridgestones. Ride seems a little better too. The tiny bumps seem to be a little less brittle. Maybe because they're new.

Weird thing, on the Tirerack site, they had the exact same PS/2's listed multiple times, with different prices on the fronts and backs in each "set". So I picked the cheapest front and the cheapest rears. Saved about $80.

The sizes are right, load ratings, etc, the treads are the same, but the molding on the sides is a little different, Michelin logo and number styles are a little different front to back. Like anyone would notice.

The shop did an alignment and touched up the toe front and back. It was kind of middle on the "before" and they dialed the fronts the other way, but within spec, in response to the inner-shoulder wear. Said they might wear a little better this way, but still within the OEM range. Guess we'll see.
Old 04-12-11, 04:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

The different tires are model specific, so you got the generic PS2s, not the IS F specific PS2s. If you look at the different tires, you'll see MB, LEX, BMW, A01, R01, etc...they're model specific tires.
Old 04-12-11, 06:38 PM
eFFer
Driver School Candidate

Hope they mounted the correct tire to the correct rim...unlike me! >_<
Old 04-12-11, 08:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,364 Posts

^^^^And they put the wheels back on the correct corner!

Lou
Old 04-13-11, 05:06 PM
larrysb
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The different tires are model specific, so you got the generic PS2s, not the IS F specific PS2s. If you look at the different tires, you'll see MB, LEX, BMW, A01, R01, etc...they're model specific tires.
Hard to say, I went and looked them up again, looked up the numbers off the Michelin website, then went out and looked at the tires again. The rears I got are 96 (Y) (with parenthesis) the OEM Lexus version is just 96Y. The max load @ PSI and everything is right, treads are the same,etc.

The only difference I can tell is the cosmetics of the sidewall. That and $80 saved.

FWIW, the PS/2 seems to ride a bit better than the Bridgestones. Noise seems different, not worse, not better, just different kind of tire noise. Handling seems as awesome as ever.

Last edited by larrysb; 04-13-11 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Switching to PS2, got 32k out of the Potenzas