IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Normal gap on tint job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 09:01 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doublexl
Also, why is window tint installed on the outside of the windows in America?
The tint material is laid on the outside of the glass and cut to fit. It is applied to the inside.
Old 04-07-11, 10:50 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

I've never seen tint installed outside the glass. This guy didn't do or have a computer cut out for that window. I hope this tinter doesn't cut everything by hand! That's the ugliest job I've seen in a long time.
Old 04-07-11, 11:43 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to say but it looks like you got punked. That's a horrible tint job and I would def have the guy re-do it. I would almost even recommend going as far as to watch him do it because that seems like a rookie thing or a lazy thing to do and I'd hate to think how the rest of the tint was done on such an awesome car.

Did you use metallic or ceramic tint? If so, I might suggest you asking the guy to somehow show proof that he used the specific material that you paid for and didn't punk you there as well.

If this guy can't do it right, you should just ask him for your money back and take it to someone that knows how to do it correctly. Maybe someone on this site can refer you to someone. GL.
Old 04-07-11, 12:05 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys... I've never got my windows tinted before... But I guess I got what I paid for... Stupid me... But i'll take it to him next week when I have time... We'll see what happens...
Old 04-07-11, 02:14 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by doublexl
This is a weird time to break my silence on posting.... that tint job is bull****. No other word for it. Also, why is window tint installed on the outside of the windows in America? That is just lazy to begin with. Proper tinting has the tint inside the glass. Windows get removed, Windows that can't be removed get computer cut to fit. End of story. I would not accept any other kind of install. I have all my vehicles tinted 3 hours away, I take the day off work, because it is worth it to have it done properly.
I think you miss understood, the windows are not tinted on the outside. They just lay the tint over the outside to cut the shape and then install on the inside.
Old 04-07-11, 02:29 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JKweezy
Thanks for the replies guys... I've never got my windows tinted before... But I guess I got what I paid for... Stupid me... But i'll take it to him next week when I have time... We'll see what happens...
hopefully you can get that fixed
Old 04-07-11, 03:39 PM
Laid_Out
Driver

My friend's tint shop lays the tint on the outside, holds a light from the inside shining out then cuts it to fit. Then the tint is placed on the inside. No gaps, clean cuts... done
Old 04-08-11, 03:46 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
A good shop would have done an outline from the outside and cut to the edges of the window. It looks like your guy just took the film and cut it right from the inside of the car.
Test your rear window defogger, if they did cut the tint on the inside, they may have cut your defogger lines too, and they will owe you a new window. As flipside said, any good tint guy will place, form and cut the tint on the OUTSIDE first, then apply on the inside. Those sides are hideous, he totally cut them wrong.
Old 04-08-11, 09:48 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
A good shop would have done an outline from the outside and cut to the edges of the window. It looks like your guy just took the film and cut it right from the inside of the car.
exactly right bro ... not only that, the lines are not smooth just a total crap job. yur car is way awesome to have tint that looks horrible. make him take the tint off and go somewhere else, thats my opinion
Old 04-08-11, 11:22 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow ... that looks bad
Old 04-09-11, 07:30 AM
indyberett
Rookie

Most of the local tint shops her in Houston now use a computer cutter to cut out the pieces of tint just like decals are cut. They also do it for the clear bras. That way they are 100% exact cut and no custom cuts are necessary. Even the local Chevrolet dealer does it that way. He did it on my Corvette Z06.
Old 04-09-11, 10:39 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i was actually in the place watching him off and on... he was getting aggravated about the front windows because of the tweeters... so i had to do a quick CL.com look on my phone about others getting tint jobs... it just took him a little more time on the fronts... he did lay it on the outside and used a light on the inside to make the cut on the outside... i'll let ya'll know what happens tuesday...
Old 04-09-11, 11:57 AM
eviioiive
Driver School Candidate

shouldn't have paid after seeing his "work"
should've driven somewhere else...
Old 04-14-11, 12:29 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Have him cut you a large piece of film that matches, and take it somewhere else that can do it properly.

Computer cut film is BS, all windows are slightly different, mainly in curvatures here and there, not much, but enough to cause a gap at the top. Go to car meets, and look at people's tint jobs, ask them how long they've had their windows tinted, and if it's been a few years and it still looks perfect, go to whomever did theirs. I know the owner of my old GTP still, and I had quantum film put on there 8 years ago, it still looks perfect, my lincoln Mark VIII that I gave to my brother was tinted by the same guy 5 years ago, always sat in the hot sun, still immaculate..... I made the mistake of being impatient with my new to me SC400, and took it to "Cool Breeze" in Stockton, CA...... What a HUGE mistake. The front windows have crease marks that are distorted, the rear quarters have fibers between the film and glass, back window was done in two pieces (ugh) and has dried soap and bubbles everywhere. I took it back yesterday for their "warranty" and he said (I'll heat it up and work the bubbles out" well, you cant work the foreign material out, so it's never gonna be right.... Anyways, the point is, find a car with a great tint job, ask who did it, and go to that guy.
Old 04-14-11, 01:08 PM
cenix
Driver

that's mickey mouse on your is-f.