Considering used '08 IS-F, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 01:01 PM
indyberett
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with this one is the mystery of:

"the fusible link was replaced at 6.5k"

Most of the time this would represent that some of the wiring was burnt or damaged where they had to replace it.

Having that info on carfax can affect the resale value as someone above stated.

I know here in Houston that Texas Direct Auto has four 08 is-Fs in stock. They sell most of their cars on ebay. You can view the history report on ebay for free...they ship their cars all over the US.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I like number 3.

could be this: car presents with rough idle, suspicion is bad coil pack. Change one pack, still rough, change next coil pack, still rough, change third coil pack, fixed. Problem was third coil pack. not to worry.
Old 04-09-11, 05:59 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing, I checked the Service Records on Lexus.com and I see:

7MM ON FRONT AND REAR BRAKES (December 2010)

and

6MM LEFT ON FRT. BRAKES, 7MM LEFT ON REAR BRAKES (March 2011)

... and the mileage was the same (I guess it wasn't driven in 3 months)... how can this be possible, the front brake pads went from 7mm to 6mm without the car being driven. Is this something to be suspicious of?

Last edited by VtotheJ; 04-09-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 02:09 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
A few months ago I was window shopping for an 08 IS-F but now I'm getting serious about it, after doing some serious number crunching. I came across a few IS-F's. Based on your experiences, which car(s) in your opinion should I consider in this list, which should I not.. etc....

1. Smoky Granite Mica, 39k miles, $41k
- one owner
- according to carfax, windshield was replaced

2. Maroon / Matador red, 27k miles, $40k
- one owner
- haven't done a carfax check, under Lexus manufacturer warranty

3. Silver, 12k miles, $41k
- this one baffles me, it's only $1k more than the one above, and has 15k less miles.
- has 2 owners (2nd owner only owned it for a month)
- according to the Carfax, the ignition coil has been replaced THREE times (at 2.5k miles, 6.5k, and 10.5k)... is this a common problem in these cars? Also, the fusible link was replaced at 6.5k.

Thanks!
Looks like the Silver Is-F may be sold...

Is the '08 SGM IS-F a good buy? $41k for 39k... the carfax has nothing suspicious other than a windshield replacement... thanks guys for your suggestions
Old 04-10-11, 02:36 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ I say heck no, due to 39K miles. This means you only have 11K left before warranty is gone. Too much mileage = stay away. Too much $ for that sort of mileage = stay away even more. Make sure you do a fine tooth comb search to spot previous mods for any F. Then if you do, use it to negotiate down.
Old 04-10-11, 05:01 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PurduePete
^^ I say heck no, due to 39K miles. This means you only have 11K left before warranty is gone. Too much mileage = stay away. Too much $ for that sort of mileage = stay away even more. Make sure you do a fine tooth comb search to spot previous mods for any F. Then if you do, use it to negotiate down.
I see...I don't drive much, probably around 6-7k a year... I did find a few others:

a) 27k miles for $40k

c) 23k miles for $43k

b) 20k miles for $45k

I'm unsure of whether these are good deals or not, since the prices vary drastically for used F's... assuming the car faxes are clean and the test drives go well, are these good prices?

Last edited by VtotheJ; 04-10-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 06:38 PM
indyberett
Rookie

$40K to $43K all seem to be in line with the current sales I am seen recently.
Old 04-10-11, 07:10 PM
sham3l3ss
Driver School Candidate

option 3!! lol
Old 04-10-11, 08:01 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the silver one is sold, I'd look for one with less than 30k miles for less than $40k.
Old 04-10-11, 10:15 PM
aboh6leenz
Driver School Candidate

Higher mileage isn't automatically a bad thing. Many easy highway miles are generally better then fewer stop light to stop light miles. Lexus are built to last so I'd check them all out and if they are all equal I'd pick my favorite color.
Old 04-11-11, 01:27 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think #2 is the best deal .. not sure why nobody has suggested that yet???

1. Smoky Granite Mica, 39k miles, $41k
- one owner
- according to carfax, windshield was replaced

2. Maroon / Matador red, 27k miles, $40k
- one owner
- haven't done a carfax check, under Lexus manufacturer warranty

3. Silver, 12k miles, $41k
- this one baffles me, it's only $1k more than the one above, and has 15k less miles.
- has 2 owners (2nd owner only owned it for a month)
- according to the Carfax, the ignition coil has been replaced THREE times (at 2.5k miles, 6.5k, and 10.5k)... is this a common problem in these cars? Also, the fusible link was replaced at 6.5k.
It has LESS miles and is CHEAPER than #1!! Plus it has no prior problems as far as you know...
Old 04-11-11, 07:52 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^No disrespect to Matador Red owners, but it might be the color and price combination??

Think someone said it earlier, but the 3 yrs leases should be hitting soon and prices will go down much more. Actually, I guess I'm not that surprise of the high prices given that summer is just around the corner.
Old 04-11-11, 10:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^^No disrespect to Matador Red owners, but it might be the color and price combination??

Think someone said it earlier, but the 3 yrs leases should be hitting soon and prices will go down much more. Actually, I guess I'm not that surprise of the high prices given that summer is just around the corner.
This is what I believe could be the case. The dark red looks like an exotic color but doesn't seem to be popular, I guess that could explain the prices compared to other colors.

Since 3-year leases are ending soon, should I wait until there's more selection, or work with the good deals I've seen?
Old 04-11-11, 10:47 AM
mentroc
Driver

I would be patient and widening your search area if you dont mind to travel will open up more options
Old 04-11-11, 10:47 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about you, but for me, the ISF was my dream car. I searched and waited for almost 1 year before finding my color combo (i.e., USB with alpine interior). To me, a dream car is something that fits all your wants (excluding price). If those three are not what you have been looking for 100%, then I would wait. No reason to shell out $40K if it's not the color you've been wanting is an example.

So yes, in other words, wait. I bought my used 09 in August. Another one is to expand your search and don't let distance (i.e., in another state) deter you from having it as a candidate. i live in Chicago and bought mine in Cali. I drove it back after I bought it.
Old 04-11-11, 01:05 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I don't know about you, but for me, the ISF was my dream car. I searched and waited for almost 1 year before finding my color combo (i.e., USB with alpine interior). To me, a dream car is something that fits all your wants (excluding price). If those three are not what you have been looking for 100%, then I would wait. No reason to shell out $40K if it's not the color you've been wanting is an example.

So yes, in other words, wait. I bought my used 09 in August. Another one is to expand your search and don't let distance (i.e., in another state) deter you from having it as a candidate. i live in Chicago and bought mine in Cali. I drove it back after I bought it.
Thanks for all of your advice! How negotiable are dealers in regards to prices? How many of you were able to talk a dealer down in price?

Last edited by VtotheJ; 04-11-11 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering used '08 IS-F, need advice