IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Time for new brake pads, which one's don't squeak???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 11:47 AM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time for new brake pads, which one's don't squeak???

Okay, I have put it off long enough, but the screeching brakes have me frustrated. The dealership's line is "this is normal for a performance car" and will not do anything whatsoever (even when I brought in the LSB).

I did some research but can't figure out which pads I should get that will give me the following:

1. OEM stopping power
2. NO SQUEAKS
3. The pads must fit well (some aftermarket pads didn't fit right?)

I know by my research that there are several pads available, but some didn't seem to fit correctly, some didn't give great stopping power, and others just seemed to be junk. Can someone spell out exactly what I should buy/order so that I can FINALLY have a peaceful drive?

Also, will I need to do anything to my stock rotors? I currently have about 20,100 miles on an '08 F. Never tracked, never raced, never driven too hard.

Thanks in advance!

Todd
Old 04-08-11, 12:13 PM
X20A
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Project Mu Type NS Pads! I believe the fronts are PSF106 and the rears are PSR160. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There's a couple of threads on here about these pads, and the general consensus is that they're awesome. OEM-like performance, no squeaking, and VERY low dusting.

I ordered a set through MVP Motorsports, and they should be here next week, just in time for my F to come back from the body shop.
Old 04-08-11, 12:53 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second the Project Mu's and everything X20A said about them. I've had mine for 600 miles and loving them.
Old 04-08-11, 06:03 PM
mondo540
Driver

I have 12K on Hawk ceramic pads...no squeaks, very light dust, stops well....it's been too long for me to remeber what the OEM pad felt like but I can tell you these do stop well for street driving. Follow instructions upfront about bedding them in....I assume you can go to the hawk website and order them...I was part of a group buy when they first came out....I also would not do anything to stock rotors unless you are sensing vibrations/shimmy of some sort.

Last edited by mondo540; 04-08-11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 07:42 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had good results from Hawk Street pads. Used them for the last 2 brake jobs on my STi which also had Brembos from the factory.
Old 04-09-11, 01:45 AM
larrysb
Driver

I put the Carbotech "Bobcat" pads in. Less dust, no noise, good street pad.

For some unknown reason, the pad material itself doesn't completely cover the swept area of the rotor. It's a few mm shy of the proper radius. They work fine though.
Old 04-09-11, 02:23 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All high friction pads need to bed-in to prevent squealing and brake much smoother. To find an empty stretch road in LA can be difficult but it helps mine for few months before I have to do it all over again.
Old 04-09-11, 02:48 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Carbotech Bobcats on my car now. There is some occasional squealing from the front pads after driving for a while. Next time, I'm going to try the Project Mu pads instead.
Old 04-09-11, 08:56 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Hawk HPS pads have very low bite compared to OEM pads or the Project Mu pads. I can get Hawk pads for FREE and I wouldn't put HPS's on my car. Even my wife hated them on her TL. I had them on my Evo 9 and I practically had to mash the pedal into the firewall to get the car to stop. In addition to the above, Hawk does not make a rear pad for the IS F.

Project Mu is my first choice, followed by Stoptech. I'm not interested in pads that work well but don't fit like the like OEM's do which leaves Carbotech pads off the short list of pads for the IS F.

Note: My opinion on the Hawk pads is strictly about the HPS compound not HP+ which I would consider if they made them and offered a rear pad.
Old 04-14-11, 03:24 PM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all your replies! I went ahead and ordered the Project Mu pads from MVP Motorsports.

I can't wait for silent stopping!
Old 04-14-11, 06:26 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

For my money, I say stay with OEM. Sewell has them for 250 F and 150 R, and you keep the same performance. Ceramic composites are fine if you are not going to track the car or push it hard. This car was made to be driven.
Old 04-15-11, 07:08 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ceramic pads and hate them. If you drive your ISF as if it was an IS250, then these pads are OK, but if you drive your ISF the way it was meant to, then you'll miss the OEM pads. Initial bite is probably 25% of OEM, once warm braking is not bad, probably 75% of OEM, but once hot (driving hard) braking power is 20% of OEM! You like to go to the track? Forget it! Also when the rotors get wet these pads will squeak and you'll initial bite will be none existent for about a second. I'm going back to OEM pads.

Originally Posted by mondo540
I have 12K on Hawk ceramic pads...no squeaks, very light dust, stops well....it's been too long for me to remeber what the OEM pad felt like but I can tell you these do stop well for street driving. Follow instructions upfront about bedding them in....I assume you can go to the hawk website and order them...I was part of a group buy when they first came out....I also would not do anything to stock rotors unless you are sensing vibrations/shimmy of some sort.
Old 04-16-11, 12:06 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been debating between OEM and the Project Mu pads. Both have great reviews, and I'm leaning more towards the Project Mu pads just to give them a try. mugen22a4's review of these pads really intrigued me to the point where it's between those and OEMs, so thanks for that!
Old 04-16-11, 09:52 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I've been debating between OEM and the Project Mu pads. Both have great reviews, and I'm leaning more towards the Project Mu pads just to give them a try. mugen22a4's review of these pads really intrigued me to the point where it's between those and OEMs, so thanks for that!

Just don't run them on a track, or push the car hard, and they will be fine.
Old 04-16-11, 10:46 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much are they?

Quick Reply: Time for new brake pads, which one's don't squeak???