IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 07:16 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune

Hello folks, are we ever going to be able to tune the ISF?

I'll be getting header soon for the F and was checking M3 site to see what they are making.

I was shocked to see a bunch making upper 300s to just over 400 on Dyno Dynamics with exhaust, intake, pulley, and a tune. I though they were near maxed out given that they are only 4 liters.

Are we ever going to be able to tune the ISF?

Also the C63s are absolute beasts. Saw dynodynamics in the 475 range...575 at the crank NA?
Old 04-10-11, 03:00 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

ISF can make up to 420 with just headers, intake and an exhaust also.
Old 04-10-11, 04:46 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

The only way to tune a Lexus engine is to install an aftermarket ECU as the OEM one is encrypted and has not been cracked
Old 04-10-11, 08:09 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

After 3 years and no tune yet doesn't look promising for one in the future. It is amazing what a tune does for other manufacturers...
Old 04-10-11, 09:47 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be one when a company steps up to do it. Unforunanetly there are not enough F's out there. It's going to take a smaller company to do it since most larger ones will not put the r&d into it because there isn't enough money to be made. Anything can be done and someone one day will come up with a tune. That's why there are not that many parts available for our cars yet. Right now we need to rely on companies like sikky and elite.
Old 04-10-11, 10:22 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaslapp1
There will be one when a company steps up to do it. Unforunanetly there are not enough F's out there. It's going to take a smaller company to do it since most larger ones will not put the r&d into it because there isn't enough money to be made. Anything can be done and someone one day will come up with a tune. That's why there are not that many parts available for our cars yet. Right now we need to rely on companies like sikky and elite.
Many have tried but all have failed. This issue is the "ability" to crack an ecu that none have ever cracked. If we want true tuning, Lexus owners will need to use an after market full standalone system.
Old 04-10-11, 12:09 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Many have tried but all have failed. This issue is the "ability" to crack an ecu that none have ever cracked. If we want true tuning, Lexus owners will need to use an after market full standalone system.
Motec Cough Cough....
Old 04-10-11, 11:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by jaslapp1
Not going to happen. Ever. We said the same thing about the 2JZ-GTE. The only way to get the OEM ECM to do something different was to put in daughterboards and EPROMS. Even that was a band-aid. Unfortunately, the 2UR-GSE is going to be very difficult to set up with a standalone. LOTS of time and money. As I said, not going to happen.

FWIW, the aftermarket ECM tuning for German cars will end most likely with 2012 or maybe 2013 when Bosch starts using their next release engine management. The fun is definitely coming to an end soon.
Old 04-11-11, 01:22 AM
lazerous
Driver School Candidate

it can be done. you would have to sacrifice abs and trac control

what about artisan performace? they did it for the turbo kit they built
Old 04-11-11, 08:46 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not going to happen. Ever. We said the same thing about the 2JZ-GTE. The only way to get the OEM ECM to do something different was to put in daughterboards and EPROMS. Even that was a band-aid. Unfortunately, the 2UR-GSE is going to be very difficult to set up with a standalone. LOTS of time and money. As I said, not going to happen.

FWIW, the aftermarket ECM tuning for German cars will end most likely with 2012 or maybe 2013 when Bosch starts using their next release engine management. The fun is definitely coming to an end soon.
No tune huh, Bummer!
Old 04-11-11, 08:53 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lazerous
it can be done. you would have to sacrifice abs and trac control

what about artisan performace? they did it for the turbo kit they built
you should read up, bc they didnt do anything and said they did. and i can promise you that someone somewhere is working on it
Old 04-11-11, 06:22 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Splat
you should read up, bc they didnt do anything and said they did. and i can promise you that someone somewhere is working on it
That sounds promising but who knows when that will be.

GT-R's are pretty rare and those can be tuned. What are the IS-F sales numbers vs. GT-R? Maybe jaslapp1 is right and there aren't enough F's to put the R&D into it.
Old 04-11-11, 07:55 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Splat
What was the story behind them? There is a blue IS-F here in Vegas with the twin turbo kit..
Old 04-11-11, 08:53 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Like I said search that blue one in Vegas if I recall was repoed. But there is nothing artisan did and they have had a car go to elite and once they got a hold of it they made 150hp more by doing things correctly.
Old 04-11-11, 10:19 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no one with any type of forced induction has had much success tuning the IS F
there's a few of them out there running around but i know they're not running properly

there's several very good japanese companies that have been trying to crack the ECU ever since the car came out. it really has nothing to do with the small qty of them being made, it's the sheer complexity that's hindering it

i went from the automotive industry to the semi-conductor industry and back... i've seen what engineers can and can't do...and cracking the IS F ECU isn't something i think anyone will do anytime soon...

Quick Reply: Tune