IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 09:29 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would you do?

I bought my F in January of this year. I bought the Lexus Platinum extended warranty before I crossed 50k. Carfax was clean. I called Freeman Lexus and asked them to run the VIN to look up repair history pre-purchase. They told me no major repairs occurred..
I’ve had a rattle in my sunroof area since I bought it, but it was periodic and the sunroof worked fine. I notice the front drivers headlight started to sweat during this rainy season. I scheduled a dealership visit to Freeman Lexus over a month ago, then they called and canceled because they needed me to drop the car off on a weekday when I work, so that stalled. They never called back to reschedule, and I let it go.
That is until last Thursday. I went to lunch it was a gorgeous day and I opened the sunroof. Well when it was time to close, it wouldn’t. It would do back and forth motions and retract. I eventually got it to close half way. I called Concord Lexus this time and scheduled to drop it off for repair Friday morning, not before getting caught in a freak hail storm on my way back home Thursday evening. Luckily I was almost home.
I arrived at Concord Lexus and was treated well, not very personal, but well. I got a RX450h courtesy car and went about my day. I got a call by the service guy Saturday morning.
He told me he had bad news. The sunroof has been in for repair in the past (summer 10'), about 4k miles before I purchased it. IT was deemed the owners fault due to a jammed up cigarette lighter. The owner declined to repair it. Because of this the service guy told me Lexus won’t cover the normally covered repair.
I reluctantly asked what the cost of the repair would cost, 1,900. $600 for parts and the rest of the “intense” labor. I asked if there was anyone I could plead my case to and so I called Lexus corporate and wait to hear back from them. In the mean while I asked if the dealership could at least get the sunroof closed. I expect to be hearing from the dealership today as I know they want the courtesy car back. The sweaty headlight I mentioned earlier, no longer covered under extended warranty..I asked “well what is covered then!?” He replied “everything….”.
Am I SOL? Is it one of those things I just have to take? This is my first Lexus, and not just any Lexus. I did my homework, I did buy the best Lexus warranty. What would you do?

~Dv8
Old 04-11-11, 09:36 AM
silky f
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you buy the vehicle from? I would defnitely take it up to the dealership whom you bought it from first, see what they say, and if nothing happens, call Lexus.
Old 04-11-11, 09:48 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like they have you on the sunroof because it was all documented before you took out the warranty. silky f is right....take up it with where you bought it. You might have a chance with the argument, "Well I bought the car from you under the assumption that everything worked and was fixed. If you knew about the sunroof being broken, why wasn't it fixed when I bought the car." Try that on them, and they might at the very least, pay for half of it.

On the headlight, use the same argument. But I would double check about it in your warranty details. It ought to say in black and white what is covered/not covered. I would think that the Platinum warranty would cover that.
Old 04-11-11, 10:18 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Add another one to why I hate extended warranties. Sure it is worth it for some in the long run, but most of the time, its not worth the $ b/c you're being lied to at the time of purchase when the saleman says, "Oh it covers everything!" BS!!

With regards to the headlight leak, there should be a LSB, b/c this has become or is already an epidemic. It's always the right headlight that has the leak. I have an 09 and I will return to the dealer to get a new headlight installed under warranty this weekend.

Here’s a good thread on extended warranties: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-thoughts.html

I agree, with what the others have said, pursue both avenues. Exhaust all tries before shelling out your own $ is how I look at your situation.
Old 04-11-11, 11:33 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Thanks.

Yea I already got the "We had no idea there was a problem. It worked" from the dealership. To their credit it did work and worked for me up until now. They plead ignorance on the Lexus repair history, since they’re not a Lexus dealership.
^
The thread you linked is the same one that I replied in before and after buying the extended warranty.

It’s a Lexus, an ISF of all cars, I bought the extended warranty. I would hope a brand like Lexus would at least compromise instead of leaving and unassuming owner in the cold, literally.

~Dv8
Old 04-11-11, 11:35 AM
andysvette
Driver

I had a similar situation with my cup holder. I purchased the car used and apparently the previous owner had some how damaged the center cup holder. Lexus had deemed it was the owners fault. As a result they refused to fix it. FYI to replace the cup holder the dealer quoted me $990. I ended up going back to the Nissan dealer explained the situation with them and they replaced the cup holder no questions asked.

Good luck!!
Old 04-11-11, 01:59 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Try a different dealer? I've been treated very well by Steven's Creek Lexus in Santa Clara. I does sound like you have a unique situation. Another option might be to cancel the warranty, get the money back (if you have no other claims yet) and use the cash to make your repairs. I do believe the headlight are excluded in the written terms of the extended warranty. Sorry to hear you are going through this.

AA
Old 04-11-11, 04:42 PM
silky f
Driver

automobile industry is based on customer service. i work in this industry and quite frankly i kinda of understand both sides. my advice to you. dont speak with the service/sales rep..climb up the up the ladder. speak to a manger, if not, the manager's manager. the more you push them to do something, it'll fusrate them to the point where they say, let's just take care of him and what not. the more you escalate the situation because you did nothing wrong, it'll get handled. be strong, be furious, and let them you that your not going away until the issue gets resolved. after all, you did bring them business and if they want to continue to have you and your referrals, itll mean a lot

1 happy customer will tell 10 friends and 1 unhappy customer will tell 100 friends, facebook, and yelp! lol
Old 04-15-11, 01:41 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Very disappointed in Lexus corporate for not handling my situation with some level of customer service, none.
They denied/decline it all. The dealership offered me a 20% off discount 'cause they felt bad, but corporate just hung me out to dry; mind you the sunroof is still stuck open. I also got stuck with a $150 diagnostics fee.

I expected a bit more from a company the peruses perfection.

For everyone with headers and or exhaust, careful they could deem the problem(whatever the problem is) your fault because the car was altered...

I'll just repair it myself; I’ve already sourced sunroof assemblies.

Real disappointed.

~Dv8
Old 04-16-11, 12:57 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try holding the down the button for 10 seconds?
Old 04-16-11, 09:26 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus still provides good service overall, but no where near to what they were 20 years ago.

sorry to hear what you have gone through. another option is to try independent service stations that specialize on toyotas and lexus. they often will charge 50% less on labor and they may be able to salvage some parts. i almost never go to dealers for anything simply because they almost always overcharge and often recommend parts that don't need to be changed out yet.

Just out of my own curiosity, how did the dealer know what parts are needed? Did they actually took your moon roof apart to inpect it?

Last edited by MicaISF; 04-16-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 09:39 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Dv8,
Saw in another post you were able to fix your sunroof yourself. I'm glad to hear this is resolved for you even though it was a pain in the a** and you had to do it yourself.
Old 04-27-11, 10:03 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Dv8,
Saw in another post you were able to fix your sunroof yourself. I'm glad to hear this is resolved for you even though it was a pain in the a** and you had to do it yourself.
Thanks Andy.
They left me high and dry starign at a minimum $1,600 repair cost. I had no choice but to fix it myself. I love this cars performance and styling. Nothing else like it out there right now for the price. I figured I'd get intimate with it. It was an all day process but at a slow and comfortable pace by myself.
The switch is goofy, I reset it several times but it will only close on the notch before close and doesnt open past half way, but the new track and cable system is smooth as glass. Theres no sensors on the track. Whatever, good enough for now.
Now I can hit the IMAX showing of Fast 5 without my sunroof being stuck open, haha!

~Dv8