IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

i can't wait to see the 2nd gen ISF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 08:31 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

salesman usually know about as much about a 'current' generation car... as a future generation... I wouldn't put much merit in ANYTHING a dealer says!
Old 04-14-11, 10:38 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely if your part of CL, you'll know just as much or more than the salesman about lexus
Old 04-15-11, 02:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

I know people at Lexus corporate. Even they don't know for sure what is coming. Lexus is very secretive even internally about what is coming down the pike. FWIW, my contact was driving a 6 speed IS300 before they were even released in the US (and of course, there was never a 6 speed production IS300 here). I would not put any stock in what the dealership is saying.

At the same time, it's extremely rare for Toyota to make large improvements in power output from any engine family. Given the cost of certifying a powertrain, it's pretty unlikely they'll make any substantial changes to the existing configuration.

Given the power gains observed from headers, it's really a shame Lexus doesn't make an F-Sport header with the same catalytic converters as stock. It would be a huge win, especially for those in California.
Old 04-15-11, 06:36 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I know people at Lexus corporate. Even they don't know for sure what is coming. Lexus is very secretive even internally about what is coming down the pike. FWIW, my contact was driving a 6 speed IS300 before they were even released in the US (and of course, there was never a 6 speed production IS300 here). I would not put any stock in what the dealership is saying.

At the same time, it's extremely rare for Toyota to make large improvements in power output from any engine family. Given the cost of certifying a powertrain, it's pretty unlikely they'll make any substantial changes to the existing configuration.

Given the power gains observed from headers, it's really a shame Lexus doesn't make an F-Sport header with the same catalytic converters as stock. It would be a huge win, especially for those in California.
You do not sound like you have any idea what you're talking about. j/k
Old 04-15-11, 08:01 AM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by giantsfan
i just hope the next gen isf has a coupe!!!
me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-11, 08:43 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
salesman usually know about as much about a 'current' generation car... as a future generation... I wouldn't put much merit in ANYTHING a dealer says!
Word!!

And the arguement that the IS-F takes sales away for the LFA is just .....ameature.

Here some more discussion on a possible coupe: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-f-coupe.html
Old 04-15-11, 09:03 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The closest competitor to the F is the M3 (bimmer guys would probably prefer that stated the other way around ). Can we learn anything about the future of the F from the likely direction of the M3? It's supposed to go to a V6 turbo for weight reduction. Perhaps Lexus will simply concentrate on weight reduction and suspension changes to keep pace?
Old 04-15-11, 09:32 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

I have a feeling the next ISF will be at least 450 hp. Ask me how I know this?
Old 04-15-11, 10:34 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1990
How do you know this?
Old 04-15-11, 11:02 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1990
Okay, I'll bite. How do you know this? Does it have anything to do with the convertible and its weight increase?
Old 04-15-11, 02:28 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm more curious to wait for the 2012 GS-F.....the deal breaker would be if they had kept the 5-seater sedan rule and add fold down rear seats.

2nd gen IS-F should not be much change and I would not expect that much more hp to be added as many have already said.
Old 04-16-11, 05:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Coming soon to a dealership near you... As a MY 2013..

The current IS Body Design will end in 2012 and would have ran a 7 year course..

Just like the 1999 Toyota Altezza / 2001 Lexus IS300 = Total Life cycle 7 years

Feels like yesterday that I picked up my 2001 IS300 (Back on July 3rd, 2000)

Looking Forward to the new design.

Joe Z
Old 04-16-11, 08:45 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's not a substantial increase in hp (e.g., +75hp at the crank), then the only motivation is the new body style. But then if the new body style is not a home run, then there will be a lot of folks keeping their 1st generation. I for one, love the current look, and can see it aging very very well.

In other words, I agree with the minimal increase in hp that many predict, but if thats the case, then I don't know if its really worth upgrading or go for something else all together like the GTR and others.

With some simple bolt-ons (like exhaust and headers from some of you that have already done it), our current setup will spank the new IS-F if the new IS-F does not come with +75 hp gain. Even at a +75, that might not even win against the current crop of bolt-on Fs. Correct me if wrong, but most of you who have the headers + exhaust combo are getting about +50hps at the wheels right?

I predict the X-factor in the next generation will be the transmission. Maybe that new tranny will compensate for the minimal hp gains we all predict in the next generation.

Looks like I will be keeping mine, if the new F doesn't blow me away with body style and ground-breaking interior amenities.
Old 04-17-11, 09:52 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurduePete
If it's not a substantial increase in hp (e.g., +75hp at the crank), then the only motivation is the new body style.

Looks like I will be keeping mine, if the new F doesn't blow me away with body style and ground-breaking interior amenities.
I agree, the next gen needs to be a substantial improvement to keep pace. I believe the end of 2012 is going to be an exciting time, the C7, next gen Mustang, IS-F will all be coming out in 2013, and if non of them really trick my trigger, I will be selling the F, and putting GT-R in my garage.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 04-20-11 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-17-11, 10:33 AM
bmccord
Driver School Candidate

Keep in mind that the dealers will generally feed you a line of crap to sway your interest to the current line up. I remember when the BMW dealer said that the idea of a M3 V8 was a rumor and would never happen. If they confirmed it, they could potentially have buyers holding out on the next model leaving dealers stuck with older gen cars and cutting back the prices. Sad but true.

Quick Reply: i can't wait to see the 2nd gen ISF!!!