IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Summer tires vs A/S tires: necessary change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 07:17 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Summer tires vs A/S tires: necessary change?

How imperative is it to abide by the recommendations that accompany the purchase of high-performance summer tires? They say do not use these tires at near or below freezing temperatures. Is that really an issue?

I live in south central Texas, and we only get a handful of days annually that fall into this category. Would I be safe with installing and using a "summer setup" year-round?
Old 04-14-11, 08:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't worry about using All-Season high performance tires unless you live in Northwest or Southeast where there is more rain and snow fall throughout the year. Since you're in South Texas, you should be fine with summer tires year round.

San Antonio or further south?
Old 04-14-11, 08:41 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in San Antonio(I also work at Discount Tire), I get away with summer performance tires all the time. But then again its not like it goes below freezing more then once or twice a year. I was stationed in Kansas and had the same setup, couldn't even get up the smallest grades in snow, had to walk everywhere in winter.

If you are on Competition tires however, you should switch when it gets cold. Those kinds of tires will have no traction at all unless they are hot
Old 04-14-11, 09:23 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

I'm in Austin. We received our once-every-4-years 2" of snowfall this February, so I believe I should be fine. Besides, Austin shuts down at the very mention of snow b/c of all the hills.
QwkSC, do you get an employee discount on tires?? ;-)
Old 04-14-11, 08:23 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I'm in Austin. We received our once-every-4-years 2" of snowfall this February, so I believe I should be fine. Besides, Austin shuts down at the very mention of snow b/c of all the hills.
QwkSC, do you get an employee discount on tires?? ;-)
Yea I get tires at cost. For most passenger car tires its alot off, for specialty items like drag radials it could be as little as 10$
Old 04-14-11, 10:14 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Texas, you'll be just fine. Even around here it's not too bad... if you're adventurous and don't live on a hill
Old 04-15-11, 06:31 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by QwkSC
Yea I get tires at cost. For most passenger car tires its alot off, for specialty items like drag radials it could be as little as 10$
Sweet. I'll likely hit you up when my fiancee's tires need replacing on her Jetta.

For mine, well, let me know if any of the following qualify for anything. I'm debating the following 3 tires: Michelin Super Sport, Continental Extreme Contact DW, and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Thanks!
Old 04-15-11, 08:14 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

I believe michelin is running a rebate right now. You should go in to your local discount tire and see.
Old 04-15-11, 11:12 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

yeah, I think it's $70 off the whole set. I won't need the tires (crossing fingers) for another few months though. Plus I still have wedding/honeymoon expenses left to pay for. I'm praying my tires last until at least July/August.
Old 04-15-11, 12:04 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Fwiw, I don't switch either but when we DID get snow here (5x this past winter! unusual for AR), the F was pretty helpless on the PS2s. I was able to get home on the occasions where we had to close early, but (thanks to relatively empty streets) attempting to maintain a straight line was pretty amusing.

When there wasn't snow/slush, I was actually surprised by the amount of grip available even with temps in the 30s. Overall, no reason for us to have dedicated A/S or snows this far south. (As long as you've got another vehicle.)
Old 04-16-11, 08:58 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
How imperative is it to abide by the recommendations that accompany the purchase of high-performance summer tires? They say do not use these tires at near or below freezing temperatures. Is that really an issue?

I live in south central Texas, and we only get a handful of days annually that fall into this category. Would I be safe with installing and using a "summer setup" year-round?
There would be no issues with where you live with summer only. I have run summer only I am and we get colder temps than you. They just don't have the grip at those temps say in the 20's. Where you are, you will be fine.