IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Spring Mtn Drive and FS Concave Wheel shots. 305 Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 10:04 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Spring Mtn Drive and FS Concave Wheel shots. 305 Rear

Well it was frantic but I managed to wake up early this morning and worked a little last night over a full moon to install the wheels for a test drive. I will probably have to pull them off tomorrow as we have been know to get a nice 2 ft storm aroung this time of year. Had a good crew to stretch out on some nice snow free canyon roads. Stopped in Central City for a few shots.

Car drives great with the 255/305 setup. No budging the rear in corners however for as low as I am I will probably have to increase spring rates or jack it back up a bit. Bottoming rubbing on hard cornering, but I really had to push it. This is also partially due to the added weight and perhaps the 10K springs cannot keep up with this setup and this ride height.

Finished things off in a overlook of downtown and the windy sky.

A note about the wheels/tires:
-I ended going with Nitto Invo due to availability and reasonable cost. Still waiting to fit a Conti EC DW in the same sizes.
-255/35/R19 Front 305/30R19 Rear.
-Front is a 19x9, rear is a 19x11
-Front diameter is 26" rear is 26.3"
-I have one rim barrel that was damaged in shipment, so I have another barrel on order so I can balance the right rear.
- The fronts right now are flat face but they can make a concave face with these offests and I may even order them for these wheels.
-Current offsets are very conservative to fit a STOCK car with no rolling at all. I am working on the next round which will be 10mm more agressive in back and 20mm more up front and will require fender work.
-Car has my MEGA arms and extended toe links installed and -2.1 camber last I aligned.

PM me if interested in this set or a custom order.
Currently things are 3 month LT.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 04-18-11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 10:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

How much lower are you from standard ride height?

Have you done roll center - roll couple calculations?
Old 04-18-11, 02:05 AM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where u got that front grill at??
Old 04-18-11, 05:17 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's traction from a dig? What are the offsets on those wheels? Excuse my next next question as I'm no wheel setup/suspension expert; What does the mega arms and extended toe links do exactly?
Old 04-18-11, 07:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

They look GREAT You're one of the few guys who have new wheels with sensible offsets. As above I'd like to know what the widths and offsets are. Hope you can get the DWs soon, I guess you know how I feel about them

Lou
Old 04-18-11, 08:52 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How much lower are you from standard ride height?

Have you done roll center - roll couple calculations?
Lance I still need to verify my ride height at my previous measurements with the stock wheels and at the same surface I measured it on 2 years ago. No calculations have been done.

Originally Posted by 96817isf
where u got that front grill at??
I made this one myself, details in other threads.

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
How's traction from a dig? What are the offsets on those wheels? Excuse my next next question as I'm no wheel setup/suspension expert; What does the mega arms and extended toe links do exactly?
Traction at dig, its a catch 22. The added weight of these wheels vs my ultra light Kosei wheels is fairly dramatic, but with the MEGA arms and the wide patch its hard to break it loose. Also note I am at altitude so results may vary. Lighter wheels like the 2-piece forged from BC would be a better track setup. These wheels seem to tame the beast a little, which may be good for those who are afraid of the rear coming around. It took a lot of the oversteer I have with the light wheels out.

Offsets- keep in mind I have 10K invested and 6 months in the measurements I have taken and the offsets. Also my based on rim barrel profiles and tire fitments, all offsets are not created equal. I am not willing to post offsets at this time as this is part of the full service I want to provide. i.e. you tell me what fitment you want, I plug it into my specs and create the offsets for fitment, tires (by brand) that will get you what you want.

These are a 19x11 rear and I have two offset versions that for two manufacturers that I have test. By taking control of the wheel manufacturing, the tire mounting and having the vehicle to test fit prior to delivery to a customer, I feel like I have the best way of applying my parameters to fitments.

My MEGA arms are a complete rear LCA replacement with spherical bearings, camber adjustment and sway link mount adjustment.

My Toe links are on the other side of the Knuckle and balance the rear LCA. This allows me to run more negative camber and not suffer as much toe in on compression (bump steer)

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
They look GREAT You're one of the few guys who have new wheels with sensible offsets. As above I'd like to know what the widths and offsets are. Hope you can get the DWs soon, I guess you know how I feel about them

Lou
Thanks Lou, yes these offsets are designed for people with a lease or other situation where they would rather not touch the fenders. I got to thinking right before I was going to shave mine that I should really figure this out for people as there are a lot of these cars on lease. Shaving this fender lip is also not straight forward as the seam is smack in the middle.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 04-18-11, 09:14 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand camber adjustment but what does the spherical bearings allow you to do, also what does the sway link mount adjustment do?
Old 04-18-11, 09:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Really love the project Mike! When it's time for me to start working on the suspension I'm contacting you first!
Old 04-18-11, 10:28 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything looks clean!! Your my first choice when I start mixing my suspension!!

I also love the rims on your F!!
Old 04-18-11, 11:17 AM
mlcoolj
Rookie

very very nice ride this one! love it!
Old 04-18-11, 02:51 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
I understand camber adjustment but what does the spherical bearings allow you to do, also what does the sway link mount adjustment do?
Spherical bearings allow free locating of the suspension so it settles into traction fast, no bushing wrap up on compression and more positive steering feel.

For those that do not realize, the rear end influences steering quite a bit and the balance of the toe link with the LCA can set under/oversteer in hard cornering. This is dynamic and is not just a matter of aligning it on an alignment rack. Its the balance as the two links travel together. The key here is that I have added adjustment which allows the tuning of this balance.
Old 04-18-11, 11:04 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Looking good! Those are some huge tires in the rear. :P
Old 04-19-11, 10:11 PM
FIGS
The Maker

A few more shots today. Working on a little edit.

Last edited by FIGS; 04-19-11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 12:28 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats some nice meat in the rear man! Much meaner looking than the stock 255s lol.
Old 04-20-11, 07:28 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the offset and concave look of the rears, the fronts not so much. But nice looking ride.

Quick Reply: Spring Mtn Drive and FS Concave Wheel shots. 305 Rear