IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How To reverse the dvd hack/overide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 09:36 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How To reverse the dvd hack/overide?

Bought my car used. It came with the override in place. I never knew which hack or how it was done just knew it was there. So for a good year I had no problems with it. Then all of the sudden this past month the volume control on the cd/dvd stopped working. The fm, xm and the vais vml all work fine. I even have to push the cd button for aux to play the vml unit. But when ever I play a cd the volume cannot be controlled.

Now the cd's and dvd's all play perfectly with the exception of volume. I had lexus replace the nav unit with a new one. I still had the same issue. The rep told me that they noticed that some of the wires were spliced behind the system. I assume this is the hack. My question is how can i get this undone. I talked to another trusted rep and he said to ask if they could replace the wire harness.

Do you think this will cure my issue? Do you guys have any ideas? Oh and all you diyers doing this hack hopefully this doesnt happen to you.
Old 04-25-11, 11:04 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm sorry but I don't have a solution for you. All I can say is your situation sucks but at least Lexus replaced your Nav unit when your warranty should have been voided by the hack/splice. I hope you find a solution, good luck.

AA
Old 04-25-11, 02:26 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Well I bought it from a lexus dealer and I also got the ext platinum warranty. So They couldnt say anything to me. I didnt ask for the hack, i just wish i could have done it my self so I could install a plug in play instead of cutting wires.
Old 04-25-11, 02:36 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I see, well I'm still glad to hear that the dealer has taken responsibility for the problem. Maybe they will get you a new harness then too, under warranty. Best of luck!
Old 04-25-11, 04:49 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
But when ever I play a cd the volume cannot be controlled.

Now the cd's and dvd's all play perfectly with the exception of volume.

Do you think this will cure my issue?
I don't think the hack has anything to do with the CD volume. The hack jumpers a switch that is closed when the car is in park. It's the same as playing the CD in your driveway.

Find the DIY hack procedure and splice the wires back together to see if it changes your situation.
Old 04-25-11, 04:58 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I don't think the hack has anything to do with the CD volume. The hack jumpers a switch that is closed when the car is in park. It's the same as playing the CD in your driveway.

Find the DIY hack procedure and splice the wires back together to see if it changes your situation.
Yea ima ask about the harness first if that doesnt workout ill splice em back. Thnks
Old 04-25-11, 07:19 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hack doesn't have anything to do with your problem, it involves park, parking brake, and motion sensor, that's it.

Are you sure the dealer replaced the whole unit? When I had a faulty touchscreen, they took the unit apart and replaced the screen only, then they re-installed the original unit.
Old 04-26-11, 08:09 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Well i think they did. Cause they told me that they were shipping the old unit back And I would get my cds back at a later date. (luckly i had taken them out already) Well I assume that if a wire is cut like they said then a simple wire harness replacement should remedy my problem. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer now.
Old 05-04-11, 04:31 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Well I took the car in and left it with them. They said I would need a whole new wiring harness which is 5k. Guess I wont be playing dvds any more.
Old 05-06-11, 10:14 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I took the car in and left it with them. They said I would need a whole new wiring harness which is 5k. Guess I wont be playing dvds any more.
As someone mentioned earlier, the nav/dvd hack has nothing to do with the volume on any of the available sources. I'd remove the nav/audio unit and check the to see which wires on either of the two connectors have been cut/taped/spliced and attempt to reverse-engineer the hack. Did you say there was a VAIS unit installed?
Old 05-06-11, 11:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,403 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how few techs actually understand electronics.

Replace the harness? Probably because they'll be able to get paid for warranty on it. If you're paying out of pocket, they're taking you for a ride.
Old 05-09-11, 09:18 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
As someone mentioned earlier, the nav/dvd hack has nothing to do with the volume on any of the available sources. I'd remove the nav/audio unit and check the to see which wires on either of the two connectors have been cut/taped/spliced and attempt to reverse-engineer the hack. Did you say there was a VAIS unit installed?
Yea but the vais i installed. The dvd hack was already in place. I may do that this summer when im off.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It never ceases to amaze me how few techs actually understand electronics.

Replace the harness? Probably because they'll be able to get paid for warranty on it. If you're paying out of pocket, they're taking you for a ride.
Yea They are clueless about it. They wanted to do the harnes just so they didnt have to try and figure out the issue. Id never pay 5k just to watch a movie. And they say its not covered by warranty since it wasnt done by lexus. Im gonna take it to a local car audio shop and let them look at it. if that doesnt work im gonna call the dealership i bought the car from (which is not the delership i took the car to) and get them to pay for the harness. I bought the car from them like that and I also purchased the platinum ext warranty.
Old 05-09-11, 08:23 PM
BASSMANROY
Driver School Candidate

Default I know been there too;;lolo

Best way is to replace head unit'''
bought my car used. It came with the override in place. I never knew which hack or how it was done just knew it was there. So for a good year i had no problems with it. Then all of the sudden this past month the volume control on the cd/dvd stopped working. The fm, xm and the vais vml all work fine. I even have to push the cd button for aux to play the vml unit. But when ever i play a cd the volume cannot be controlled.

Now the cd's and dvd's all play perfectly with the exception of volume. I had lexus replace the nav unit with a new one. I still had the same issue. The rep told me that they noticed that some of the wires were spliced behind the system. I assume this is the hack. My question is how can i get this undone. I talked to another trusted rep and he said to ask if they could replace the wire harness.

Do you think this will cure my issue? Do you guys have any ideas? Oh and all you diyers doing this hack hopefully this doesnt happen to you.
Old 05-09-11, 08:24 PM
BASSMANROY
Driver School Candidate

To solve that prob is to replace unit'''with and after makert one;;;
Old 05-10-11, 08:16 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by BASSMANROY
To solve that prob is to replace unit'''with and after makert one;;;
Ive thought of that but i have a few questions. What about the ac and the nav? Since its all connected. Also have you seen any that were done over? how does it look?

Quick Reply: How To reverse the dvd hack/overide?