Passed emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 10:16 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

Originally Posted by jaslapp1
Just wanted to let everyone know I passed Maryland state emissions last week with the sikky headers and Joe z exhaust with no cats. I never doubted it wouldn't pass but it's always reassuring to hear!
Hi jaslapp1
Were did u get the mods done or DYI? Just bought my F a month ago.And iam enjoying the car stock for now. I also live MD, is there any import car shows in the future that u know about? By the way Maryland state inspection is joke, a cash cow!
Old 08-19-11, 10:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Your car passing the emissions test in MD only tells us one thing... Someone did NOT do their job properly...

Directly from the Maryland DMV site.
How a VEIP Test Works

Here is some important information you need to know before you take your vehicle in for testing.

You will receive a test notice from the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) about eight weeks before the deadline for your vehicle should be tested. You may bring your vehicle to be tested as soon as you receive the notice, or at any time during your eight week inspection period. Bring your notice and your vehicle to any one of the testing stations.

1. If you forget the notice, bring your vehicle registration card as a substitute.
2. When you pull into the lane for the test, put the vehicle in "park," and keep the engine running.
3. A certified emissions inspector will check for leaking fluids, excessive smoke, signs of tampering with the exhaust system, a gas cap, dashboard warning lights, and badly worn tires. Nothing is disconnected.
4. The test fee of $14 is collected. We accept cash, VISA, American Express, and MasterCard, traveler's check, money order, or a personal check (with 2 current ID's) made payable to VEIP.
5. At the end of the test the inspector will present you with a vehicle emissions certificate that shows whether your vehicle passed or failed the test and the date of your next test.
6. If you do not pass the test, you will be referred to the station representative. The station representative can discuss the results with you and point out the area(s) on your vehicle's engine or emission control system to be checked and repaired. A brochure listing Maryland Certified Emissions Repair Facilities is available from the station representative.

The inspector clearly failed due diligence with regards to #3 This vehicle clearly should have failed this section of the test. No vehicle coming into our facility with these modifications would pass the state mandated test, our livelihoods are on the line with this, and the risk FAR out-way the rewards. If an inspector passes a failing car they loose their license for 6 months and are fined up to 5k, if they do it again they are suspended indefinitely, the station is fined 10k minimum, and the inspector is required to retake all emissions certification classes over before he is even allowed to reapply for state certification. Trust me my friends this is NO cake walk, and the fines are serious business, there is NO gray area, it is VERY black and white.
California is very similar if you are in a Smog Check II area. The only difference is the fines are a lot bigger. $50k fine for a shop passing a car with known issues and permanent revocation of Smog Tech's license. They don't play. There was a shop in Sacramento that got raided by the SWAT Team (I know, crazy over the top overkill for sure) and they put it on the evening news. The poor guy at the desk looked like he was going to soil his pants when they came rushing in with assault weapons ready to fire. To say the police in California take this seriously is a major understatement.
Old 08-19-11, 10:53 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spddemon
Hi jaslapp1
Were did u get the mods done or DYI? Just bought my F a month ago.And iam enjoying the car stock for now. I also live MD, is there any import car shows in the future that u know about? By the way Maryland state inspection is joke, a cash cow!
JE Import performance has done all the work to Jason's, mine and many more ISF owners on the forum... At this point Im confident in saying they are one of the best ISF shops on the east coast and people like myself are driving much farther than in state to have them mod our ISF's.
Old 08-19-11, 11:24 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Emissions test? Car inspection? What is that?

I love Florida!!!
Old 08-19-11, 11:37 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Juanca
Emissions test? Car inspection? What is that?

I love Florida!!!
^^^^^^ +1
Old 08-19-11, 12:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Good to know lolz..
Old 08-19-11, 02:19 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love Cali, but I hate some of their stupid laws like no front plate, no front tints, etc.

I have Megan mids, and they come with high-flow cats (but no CARB #), ... Hope it passes smog when I eventually do it.
Old 08-19-11, 03:04 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

Default thanks for info

Originally Posted by darbs242
JE Import performance has done all the work to Jason's, mine and many more ISF owners on the forum... At this point Im confident in saying they are one of the best ISF shops on the east coast and people like myself are driving much farther than in state to have them mod our ISF's.
thanks darbs242 for feedback. I just want to start with exhaust. I would like to be heard before I am seen. I watched a youtube of a hks exhaust on an F that car sounded sick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-oDaKPdtI