IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

NTB running a "buy 2, get 2 free" tire special

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 06:09 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default NTB running a "buy 2, get 2 free" tire special

But the Sumitomo Z III is the only one in our stock sizes. Does anyone know much about these "Z 3s"?? TIA
Old 05-06-11, 01:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The Sumitomo Z III is an OK tire. They are very popular in the Porsche 911 scene for a cheap tire that fits and has the same speed rating. I put a set on my 911 before I sold it. They have a nice ride and are quiet but the side wall is a bit softer than the Potenza's or Conti's that I had on previously. If you are looking to save some money and put on some tires for commuting and occasional spirited driving they work quite well. They are not a good track tire as they get greasy when overheated.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1177&bih=772
Old 05-06-11, 01:46 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

thanks for the info!
Old 05-06-11, 02:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently have them on my car and I think they are "ok" for normal everyday use, but not quite as grippy as I like. I still have at least 10k more miles to go on them, but I cant wait to switch over to hankooks v12 evos
Old 05-07-11, 07:31 AM
TURBOCARS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If only they had Michellin Pilot Super Sport.
Old 05-07-11, 08:38 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice.... Buy the best tire you can afford! Tires are one of the many things in life where you really get what you pay for. Everybody has their favorite brands. Our shop sells on avg. 75 to 100 tires a week, 50% of which are Michelin's, that being said we have far more happy customers with their products than we have with brands like Sumitomo, they are not bad per say but they are also NOT good. I for one will NOT even entertain the idea of selling tires made in China. For that you have to shop at NTB and Sears. Check reviews, and PLEASE buy what you can afford, the tire is the last connection between you and the road!
Old 05-08-11, 08:14 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Sumitomo = Japanese
Hankook = Korea

No Chinese tires have been mentioned.

I have had a great experience with Vredestein (Dutch) Sessanta. More affordable than Michelins and comparable performance on the street and light track duty.
Old 05-09-11, 12:18 AM
TURBOCARS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ming15237
My advice.... Buy the best tire you can afford! Tires are one of the many things in life where you really get what you pay for. Everybody has their favorite brands. Our shop sells on avg. 75 to 100 tires a week, 50% of which are Michelin's, that being said we have far more happy customers with their products than we have with brands like Sumitomo, they are not bad per say but they are also NOT good. I for one will NOT even entertain the idea of selling tires made in China. For that you have to shop at NTB and Sears. Check reviews, and PLEASE buy what you can afford, the tire is the last connection between you and the road!
I agree, Michellin Pilots are my tire choice. However sometimes cheaper alternatives are just as good if you do not drive the car to it's purpose.
Old 05-09-11, 06:05 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Sumitomo = Japanese
Hankook = Korea

I have had a great experience with Vredestein (Dutch) Sessanta. More affordable than Michelins and comparable performance on the street and light track duty.
Sorry I was not clear here, I was NOT trying to say that they (Sumitomo's) were made in China. They are in fact made in Japan, our biggest issue with their tires is unusual wear patterns (cupping) and fast wear-out issues. I have heard good things about the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, however, I am personally not a fan of aqua grooved type tires with the diagonal rain slots. Again everyone has their preferences, that is simply not mine. We have seen this in the past on other tires and noise really became an issue with them. Maybe Vredestein has cured this issue, but that remains to be seen.
Old 05-09-11, 07:28 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Sumitomo = Japanese
Hankook = Korea

The Vredestein US's are on my list. I love the look of them, and other members who have them have had good things to say. Ming, I have not heard any noise complaints on these, but thanks for the heads up just in case.
The other two tires I'm considering at this point are the Michelin Super Sports and the Continental Extreme Contact DW. The Michelins are by far the most expensive, but apparently you get what you pay for. The Conti ECs have received great reviews as well.
Old 05-09-11, 09:04 AM
TURBOCARS
Rookie

Originally Posted by melbitoast
The Vredestein US's are on my list. I love the look of them, and other members who have them have had good things to say. Ming, I have not heard any noise complaints on these, but thanks for the heads up just in case.
The other two tires I'm considering at this point are the Michelin Super Sports and the Continental Extreme Contact DW. The Michelins are by far the most expensive, but apparently you get what you pay for. The Conti ECs have received great reviews as well.
I have the Michellin Super Sports on my car for about 1,000 miles so far. Exact same as the PS2. Tirerack ratings shows the Super Sport will last longer and of course it is cheaper. I purchased it as well of tirerack.com website.
Old 05-09-11, 11:24 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by TURBOCARS
I have the Michellin Super Sports on my car for about 1,000 miles so far. Exact same as the PS2. Tirerack ratings shows the Super Sport will last longer and of course it is cheaper. I purchased it as well of tirerack.com website.
did you go stock size or bigger?
Old 05-09-11, 11:35 AM
TURBOCARS
Rookie

Originally Posted by melbitoast
did you go stock size or bigger?
I have Volk 19" VR.G2 with 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19.

I'm running 9.5" front and 10.5" rear. Megan Camber kit on rear as well as rear shaved fenders.
Old 05-09-11, 12:05 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

i went to the ntb website, from what i understand, it looks like you have to buy a set of wheels to get this deal?
Old 05-09-11, 01:24 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
i went to the ntb website, from what i understand, it looks like you have to buy a set of wheels to get this deal?
It was just a Friday & Saturday deal, so I guess it changed. I'm also not sure if it was just a local thing?

TURBO, I am not sure what you are referring to with the "9.5" and "10.5" comments (sorry I am still a noob ), but the tire size you selected is exactly what I plan on buying. That size should not require any fender shaving on the stock rims, correct?

Quick Reply: NTB running a "buy 2, get 2 free" tire special