Potential Future Owner, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 10:26 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Potential Future Owner, Questions

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a new IS-F in the next calender year, and was looking for some advice for the current/past/future owners.

I'm currently own a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Model, with mods getting the car to approximately 370 fwhp. And while its a nice car (typically used as a show car...only has 12,000 miles on it and got it September 2009), it shows its Hyundai-ness in just about every angle. Being that it was my first car out of college, it wasn't bad, but the customer service from Hyundai, the rattles and pieces breaking, the headlights fogging all the time without any reason (and Hyundai won't recognize it as a widespread problem) and general cheapness of the car has made me want to spend the cash and get an IS-F.

I am looking to possibly order a 2012 IS-F, or try to down my payment even further and wait for the 2013 models. I understand its annoying for me to be asking you guys advice this early, but I prefer to throughly do my research before I dive into something.

I've noticed, by looking over these forums, that in general, people seem to be very happy with this car, outside of the brakes and tires (which I'm aware of as I have Brembos on my GC along with 19" wheels (225/40s in the front and 255/40s in the back)), so those don't really affect me that much.

Is there anything outstanding about the car, that could be better? Such as something Lexus has acknowledged that I haven't found yet, and is being fixed? How well does Lexus admit their faults, and fix the car through TSBs and such? I personally know Hyundai will not admit TSBs, and considers you a liar until they can reproduce the problem. I strongly dislike the fact you have given a company money, and shortly after leaving, you are nothing to them. I've only read about issues with the brakes needing replaced due to squeaking, and the camber needing to be changed in the front for daily driving, am I missing anything else?

I look to use this car as a daily driver during the spring/summer/fall, as it will be garage kept during the winter. Is there anything I should prepare for in this situation?

How is the car maintenance wise? I've seen a few of you talking about the price for oil changes and such being high, but for the most part, I would provide my own oil, and just have Lexus change it for me. How are the other maintenance bills looking?

How well does Lexus handle warranty issues? Hyundai avoids them like a curse and will not help unless they MUST.

I could go on forever with questions, but if you could answer some of the above, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Brendan
Old 05-13-11, 10:50 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you are worried about maintenance and repairs. If so, then Lexus is def. the route to go. I think you're going to get a variety of answers here, but in general there are almost no issues with the car whatsoever (As you can see by doing a search), and the issues that do occur are usually more like gripes and annoyances, and exception rather than the rule.

In terms of warranty issues, I have no idea because I have had exactly 0 issues with the car in 3 years of ownership. I did get 2 TSBs done (vibrating mirror + revised gas pedals), but those were more of "I can" rather than a "I need". Your experience with warranty work will vary with dealerships (As with all vehicles), so I suggest you hit up the regional forums and make sure you find a reputable service dept around your area.

Scheduled maintenance rates are obviously going to be higher than a Hyundai, but I'll let peeps with higher mileages chime in on that. So far I only performed oil changes at my scheduled maintenance because everything that should be replaced/checked so far is already aftermarket on my ride.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-11, 11:07 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say much in regards to maintenance since I've owned my 08 F for a week now...but here are some reasons I got an F:
1. I've owned Japanese cars my whole life, and they are very reliable
2. I joined this forum and did extensive research on common problems & maintenance costs (they seem to be reasonable, considering it's a sports sedan)
3. It is automatic, but switching to M-mode and going through the gears is just blissful,
4. Check this thread, people have reported their mileage and/or problems they've had... most have said the car is solid: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-the-isf.html

If you plan to track it, plan to spend over $1k on good tires...and brakes/rotors obviously.

Some annoyances that I've heard of, some I've experienced:
1. OEM brake pads tend to be very dusty, you'll see on the wheels
2. Some cars drift to the right very slightly
3. Rearview mirror vibrates when sunroof is completely open

Other minor notes, the 13-speaker sound system is adequate enough for me, as well as navigation is great. Bluetooth connection to phone is OK, sometimes caller ID doesn't show up. Other than that, the car drives smooth as can be, and believe it or not is relatively quiet at highway speeds (60-80)...until you get on the gas (which is hard to resist).

These are just some of the aspects of a 2008 ISF... I'm not sure how much different the later models are and will be, but other owners can definitely give you some insight in that sense. Above are just some of my facts/opinions. Hope it helps.

- Vijay

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-13-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 11:14 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ There are no problems with drifting to the right or vibrating rearview mirror on the 2010+ (possibly 2009+).

The pads dust a lot though... but there are good aftermarket options such as the Project Mu Type NS.
Old 05-13-11, 11:31 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Post a picture of your Gen Coupe. If you plan on getting 2012 model most of the common problems are resolved except the brake dust, and like ^^rhy mention above, you have aftermarket options with no dust or less dust that will fix the issue and the squeaking.

Also I would like to point out that if you do have to drive the car in the winter, it is capable of going through snow with a set of winter tires. Go with Michelins or Bridgestones setup.
Old 05-13-11, 11:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by primecut
It looks like you are worried about maintenance and repairs. If so, then Lexus is def. the route to go. I think you're going to get a variety of answers here, but in general there are almost no issues with the car whatsoever (As you can see by doing a search), and the issues that do occur are usually more like gripes and annoyances, and exception rather than the rule.

In terms of warranty issues, I have no idea because I have had exactly 0 issues with the car in 3 years of ownership. I did get 2 TSBs done (vibrating mirror + revised gas pedals), but those were more of "I can" rather than a "I need". Your experience with warranty work will vary with dealerships (As with all vehicles), so I suggest you hit up the regional forums and make sure you find a reputable service dept around your area.

Scheduled maintenance rates are obviously going to be higher than a Hyundai, but I'll let peeps with higher mileages chime in on that. So far I only performed oil changes at my scheduled maintenance because everything that should be replaced/checked so far is already aftermarket on my ride.

Good luck.
Hello, thank you for getting back to me.

I'm not as much worried about the cost of maintanence, as much as how often I'd have to do it, and if it would become bothersome. Although, from your reply, I tend to believe it won't be an issue.

Near me is North Hills Lexus, and in my two trips to speak to them regarding service and pricing, I've seen nothing but true professionalism between the Lexus employees and their customers. I've been truly impressed.

I heard the paint is soft like that of my GC, is this true? I seriously hate EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive, I have to get the touchup pen out because a small rock takes paint off to the metal. Is there a true and proven solution available for this?

Thanks again :-)
Old 05-13-11, 11:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
Post a picture of your Gen Coupe. If you plan on getting 2012 model most of the common problems are resolved except the brake dust, and like ^^rhy mention above, you have aftermarket options with no dust or less dust that will fix the issue and the squeaking.

Also I would like to point out that if you do have to drive the car in the winter, it is capable of going through snow with a set of winter tires. Go with Michelins or Bridgestones setup.
Sure thing, is there a requirement to how many posts I need before I can post pictures? Don't expect something bizarre. I am not a fan of people that OVERDO their car, and rice it out. I've tried to keep the car as clean cut and close to stock looking with only some appearance changes. I've kept it nice enough that several people have driven by me and asked if it was a Bentley or Aston Martin due to the KDM Genesis Wings. I always joke, if I get compliments from the 25-50 age group I've done well, if I get complements from the 15-20 age group, I'm selling the car lol But sure, here is a list of the mods I have on it right now.

Korean Custom Wing Badge Emblems
KDM Wing Badge Emblems: Wheels
KDM 380GT Emblem
KDM Wing Badge: Steering Wheel
Custom LED Tail Lights
Diode Dynamics Stage 3 LEDs
Diode Dynamics 6000K HID headlights
Diode Dynamics 6000K HID fog lights - For when driving in the wooded areas around home (multitude of deer), always off otherwise.
Diode Dynamics Switchback Inner Turn Signals
ImportShark LED Corner Marker Switchbacks
ImportShark Sarona Grill
GCTuner Clear Corner Markers
ARK GRIP Techno Blu Exhaust
AEM Cold Air Intake
35% Tint
Poweraxel UNAVI
SFR Reflash ECU Tune

As for the brakes, yes, I have excessive brake dust on my GC wheels also, nothing a few moment after driving cleaning can't clear up though.

As for winter, yes I have a beater car for the winter, so I would like to avoid winter driving it for as long as possible.

Last edited by Swacer; 05-13-11 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 11:54 AM
mentroc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had an issue with drifting to the right. other then the normal tsbs and my trunk liner to the trunk lid coming loose no other issues with the car. brakes dust is an issue, but there are aftermarket solutions to solve like stated by rhy.
Old 05-13-11, 01:00 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2011 ISF and it is my daily driver. As I live in CA it will be driven in winter. I have no issues with the car. I get 16 in the city and 24-26 on the freeway.
I love driving the car at every chance. Driving in full auto mode is very dull. One change I would like to see is the handbrake should be in the hand and not the foot.