IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OEM Replacement: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 07:15 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Got my car back today....Tech mounted my 255s on drivers side front/back and 245's on passenger front/back...OOPS.

Car goes back tomorrow.

I guess you can fit a 255 on the front without issue. It did look a bit big though....
Old 04-02-13, 10:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,326 Posts

^^^^If it's an '08 or an '09 be sure the spokes are correctly oriented and the wider wheels, with the 255s are in back. on later models on the wider wheels need to be in back.

Lou
Old 04-03-13, 05:05 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^If it's an '08 or an '09 be sure the spokes are correctly oriented and the wider wheels, with the 255s are in back. on later models on the wider wheels need to be in back.

Lou
Will the rear wheels on a 08/09 even fit on the front? I know the fronts have a 45 offset and the rears have a 55 offset..
Old 04-03-13, 06:33 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

So I had to replace my PSSs last week. I got the full 30k miles out of them; however, that was literally until the inner wall on my front right went out and the rears were both at 1/32.

I bought the stock size the first time around, but I went 245/275 this time around...and holy crap is there a difference! I wasn't too impressed with the stock size tires (based on the reviews they got), and some of you guys thought I was nuts. Well, I think that's b/c those same guys had the larger tires. Now that I'm in that boat (larger size), and I totally agree with you guys.

The car handles phenomenally now. If I pony up for the sway bar, I'm might begin to think I'm driving a different car!
Old 04-03-13, 06:50 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ This is good to know. I am thinking of doing the same sizes as Lou (245/35/19, 285/30/19) on the stock BBS's when my DWS all seasons are done. Reason being they don't handle as well as summer tires and I rarely drive in winter, never in snow. In the wet, rarely. Only thing I'll miss with the Conti DWS is the treadwear.....540. Probably the highest for any tire for the F.
Old 04-03-13, 07:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

All these great reviews of the 275 and 245 combo have me thinking about selling my nearly new (1000 miles) OEM sized Michelin Pilot Super Sports. hmmmmm may be posting them up for sale tonight in the classifieds.
Old 04-03-13, 07:19 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you really wanna see a difference bump to RE-11, AD08 or Nt05's you will loose 100 points in treadwear but the difference in performance is very worth it, too me anyway, the Nitto NT05 is actually cheaper than the PPS too but i only get 10k out of a set.
Old 04-03-13, 08:36 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by darbs242
If you really wanna see a difference bump to RE-11, AD08 or Nt05's you will loose 100 points in treadwear but the difference in performance is very worth it, too me anyway, the Nitto NT05 is actually cheaper than the PPS too but i only get 10k out of a set.
So unless that tire is 2-3x cheaper than the PSS, the PSS makes more sense, correct?
Old 04-03-13, 09:45 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by melbitoast
So unless that tire is 2-3x cheaper than the PSS, the PSS makes more sense, correct?
Well it depends on what you want out of a tire. The thread is about the PSS as an OEM replacement, just throwing out some other options with different wear yes, but also different (better) performance. The NT05 runs out of rubber fast because it doesn't have deep initial tread depth new. At 6/32, I think half of the PSS actually brand new, I would expect the PSS to out last the NT05. The RE-11 or AD08 on the other hand for 150-200 bucks more will last as long as PSS and provide a noticeable amount more grip everywhere. I have tried the pss and all the tires I listed and found preference in the 180-200 treadwear tires rather than the 300 treadwear area. What makes sense is relative to how and where you drive your F. I don't put 7000 miles on my car and year, have upped power over most and occasionally find myself at a road course without my track tires so for a more performance oriented F owner, maybe the other options would make sense. Not saying a better deal, just different options that other owners who haven't experimented so much may enjoy.
Old 04-03-13, 01:18 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Well it depends on what you want out of a tire. The thread is about the PSS as an OEM replacement, just throwing out some other options with different wear yes, but also different (better) performance. The NT05 runs out of rubber fast because it doesn't have deep initial tread depth new. At 6/32, I think half of the PSS actually brand new, I would expect the PSS to out last the NT05. The RE-11 or AD08 on the other hand for 150-200 bucks more will last as long as PSS and provide a noticeable amount more grip everywhere. I have tried the pss and all the tires I listed and found preference in the 180-200 treadwear tires rather than the 300 treadwear area. What makes sense is relative to how and where you drive your F. I don't put 7000 miles on my car and year, have upped power over most and occasionally find myself at a road course without my track tires so for a more performance oriented F owner, maybe the other options would make sense. Not saying a better deal, just different options that other owners who haven't experimented so much may enjoy.
6/32? Dang!
In your reference to the PSSs, were you running wider tires or stock? And did you run the same size with the other brands? I'm just curious for an apples-to-apples kind of comparison, regardless of tread depth. It's great to have options, so I was just curious if those NT05s are cheap enough that the two different tires would break even over the long haul.

Mine is a DD, and I'm putting about 16k per year on it. So when the reviews came out claiming the PSS is giving better performance than the PS2 PLUS much longer treadwear AND cheaper, it was like . I'm doing too much driving to replace 180-200 treadwear tires every 9 months, unless those tires are that much cheaper. I bought my first set of PSSs in July 2011, so that's 21 months. I'm not an expert, but that sounds pretty damn solid for our cars.

EDIT: so out of curiousity, I looked up those NT05. At 245/275, you save about $190 per set.

Last edited by melbitoast; 04-03-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 02:32 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RE-11, AD08, RS3 (possibly the Z1 SS as well) is marginally better than the MPSS but in overall performance along with treadwear for a street car, it cannot be beat. This tire has similar dry grip as the PS2 with a big boost in wet grip, but they are primarily an dry/wet tire rather than the other tires which are great in the dry and decent in the rain.

I really don't think the NT05 is that good of a tire, its outdated, (I believe it may come as a narrower tire than the competition at the same size), comes with way less tread but the biggest upside is the fact that their sidewall is really strong. AD08/AD07's have really strong sidewalls as well so if you run a lot of camber then a lot of freeway driving will shred these tires quickly.

Strong sidewall tires gives you great turn-in response (especially with a front heavy IS-F), but it doesn't give you more grip.. it'll make you feel like your car is faster but its unproven to decrease laptimes just like a strut bar.
Old 04-03-13, 03:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,326 Posts

You guys may be interested in this Tire Test that Car & Driver ran last summer:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Or just jump to the last page for their results.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails OEM Replacement: Michelin Pilot Super Sport-tinygrab-screen-shot-4-3-13-3.26.47-pm.jpg  
Old 04-03-13, 05:49 PM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by melbitoast
6/32? Dang!
In your reference to the PSSs, were you running wider tires or stock? And did you run the same size with the other brands? I'm just curious for an apples-to-apples kind of comparison, regardless of tread depth. It's great to have options, so I was just curious if those NT05s are cheap enough that the two different tires would break even over the long haul.

Mine is a DD, and I'm putting about 16k per year on it. So when the reviews came out claiming the PSS is giving better performance than the PS2 PLUS much longer treadwear AND cheaper, it was like . I'm doing too much driving to replace 180-200 treadwear tires every 9 months, unless those tires are that much cheaper. I bought my first set of PSSs in July 2011, so that's 21 months. I'm not an expert, but that sounds pretty damn solid for our cars.

EDIT: so out of curiousity, I looked up those NT05. At 245/275, you save about $190 per set.
i have run 245/275 in all the tires except the one that came with my car new. The RE11 & the set of Ad08 saw nothing but track time so i cant contest to their street wear but other owners have claimed 30k out of re11 and the ad08 claims better tread life that most tires in its class with deeper tread depth than the re1. The PSS is a great daily tire option for someone doing a lot of highway driving and wants good performance. In that similar category to the PSS I think the Nitto invo is a great tire. last a long time, has good performance and is so quite and smooth, also a 300 treat wear tire with very reasonable cost.
Old 04-03-13, 06:33 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
All these great reviews of the 275 and 245 combo have me thinking about selling my nearly new (1000 miles) OEM sized Michelin Pilot Super Sports. hmmmmm may be posting them up for sale tonight in the classifieds.
No longer thinking about selling, but I am selling and have posted my OEM sized Michelin Super Sport tires for sale in the wheel/tire sub-forum.

I will definitively be sticking with Michelin when I up-size as they are just fantastic tires both on the street and on the track. As soon as I can toast my crappy Goodyear tires on my Prius I'll also be throwing some Michelin's on it too.
Old 04-03-13, 06:58 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

In that similar category to the PSS I think the Nitto invo is a great tire. last a long time, has good performance and is so quite and smooth, also a 300 treat wear tire with very reasonable cost.
Not to stir a debate, but one of my best friends has those on his F now (245/275) and hates them.

Starting to think tires are like food/music...everybody has their personal preferences.

Quick Reply: OEM Replacement: Michelin Pilot Super Sport