IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 12:22 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fapout
So, I don't know if any of you have been reading some of the other threads I've posted. I was seriously considering getting a GTR. I went and test drove one over the weekend. Got done test driving, walked in and started talking numbers. They couldn't provide me an accurate trade in value on my ISF so they needed a day or two to find a buyer, so I left without the GTR. I got back in to my ISF with it's rumbling exhaust and beautiful interior and said to myself "you know what, I think I like this more."

Yeah the ISF isn't as fast and it doesn't have as much of a wow factor as the GTR. But... in the end, the ISF is pretty darn cool. Especially a modded one. The GTR had a nissan-like (not infiniti) interior and was really buzzy and quiet compared to my ISF.

I also noticed that a lot of the GTR owners on here were the only ones saying to really think over the choice. I may still end up getting a GTR one day, I just don't have the hard on for it that I had when it first came out and was out of my reach of owning one.
Well Put! Both cars are amazing in their own right, but are a little more different than I think many people realize.
Old 06-06-11, 10:39 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robbys3m3
Well Put! Both cars are amazing in their own right, but are a little more different than I think many people realize.
Yep very different. When I got mine everyone on here wanted to compared the ISF to the GTR because they were only 60hp-70hp different but the GTR is almost totally setup for track. The AWD and trans of the GTR really put it into another league. I feel the GTR in comfort mode rides better than the ISF but if the ISF had just a tad more profile in the tires it would win there. Hands down the ISF's interior is better where-as the GTR is more spartan and a little cheap on some of the plastic interior pieces. Also the GTR's exhaust is way to quiet for the type of car it is. The ISF has more engine, exhaust noise stock versus the GTR.

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Kickhard... I did get the cobb tuner... OMG! I'm using the 'Beta 3.3' Stage 1 tunes... car is insane! Very impressed! The ability to switch boost levels on the fly is too cool!

Fapout... You're correct... they are completely different cars... the F is extremely refined, and wonderful at everything! You really have to 'love machinery' to drive the GTR daily... it makes 'race car' like noises... that I've grown to love and appreciate... but the F does so much, while isolating those 'quirks' extremely well.

I would bet 'length of ownership' is longer for IS-F owners... than GT-R owners...

I'm really happy with the new toy... and I can honestly tell you the 'only' pet peeve I had with my IS-F... was that you couldn't 'turn off' traction control while 'driving'... that you had to physically make a complete stop to disable... was the ONLY lame thing I felt... now truth be told... it probably calmed me down... as I truly enjoyed drifting corners 'frequently' in my M3 & M5... but the F... you had to make that decision practically upon 'start up'... and I didn't like the lights on the dash on the whole time...

Enjoy the F! I (And My Wife) miss ours too! But I love the power, and handling/grip of the GTR.

Peace!
Dave
I told ya the cobb tune totally changes the GTR's character huh? :-) especially at a roll on in 6th gear!!! Just wait till you get your mid pipe and exhaust. But one thing I am really glad I waited for is the Cobb intake. It really is worth the money and doesnt require you to get a new tune for it. Not only does it give you another 20-35 awhp and 30-40 awtq but it sounds great. You get alot more sucking in air noise along with the BOV spitting out air with every shift.
Old 06-13-11, 12:37 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Sweet! Yeah... for now, I'm just using the HKS drop ins... but will have to step up there at some point!

Also, currently working on getting a couple of custom tunes from Jack Cecil, and get her really dialed!
Old 06-13-11, 04:07 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

^ Let me know if you ever have time to meet up, I wanna make the same jump and I'd love to check it out and ride shotgun to see what it's like before I make the jump. I'll buy you a beer or dinner or something