IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 07:59 PM
cmsal168
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Hello all, this is my first post in this forum and I'm needing a little help. I'm seriously thinking of installing two electric cutouts on my stock F exhaust. I love the way it sounds and it's just the right decibel for me. So I'm not looking to replace the stock exhaust but would like to see some performance gains with the exhaust opened up. My research didn't come up with anything regarding any performance gains and reliablility of the cutouts. Are there any F owners who have these installed? If so, which ones did you use and where should they be installed? The youtube vid gave me an idea but am still hesitant. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-11, 08:03 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to drive around in NJ with an open exhaust?!

Old 06-07-11, 08:37 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would you add them, right before the mufflers? Or somewhere up further?

At first I was "ehhh" to the idea.. Then I checked out the muffler delete videos on youtube.. sounds pretty good and wireless cut-outs are $200. Makes me kinda like the idea now.

Do you think there is any negative side effects, like hurting the integrity of the system by welding in a random little off-shoot pipe?
Old 06-07-11, 09:57 PM
thainsane
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
Where would you add them, right before the mufflers? Or somewhere up further?

At first I was "ehhh" to the idea.. Then I checked out the muffler delete videos on youtube.. sounds pretty good and wireless cut-outs are $200. Makes me kinda like the idea now.

Do you think there is any negative side effects, like hurting the integrity of the system by welding in a random little off-shoot pipe?
I am in the same boat. Where I was going to put them is right after the first set of cats after the secondary o2 sensors. From what I can tell it can be done but you need a good muffler shop. Also if you look at where I was going to put them (hard to explain this) there was a little clearance to put two little pipes coming out the sides of the car just for added kick.
Old 06-08-11, 06:22 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thainsane
I am in the same boat. Where I was going to put them is right after the first set of cats after the secondary o2 sensors. From what I can tell it can be done but you need a good muffler shop. Also if you look at where I was going to put them (hard to explain this) there was a little clearance to put two little pipes coming out the sides of the car just for added kick.
I dont think the lexus ecu will like that. At least the gains should never be close compared to a full exhaust. Our ecu learns and tunes as we drive so opening and closing the valves whenever you want will not teach the ecu to run at best that quickly. I may be wrong so someone feel free to correct me.
Old 06-08-11, 11:41 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ I agree, it takes 4-8 drive cycles for the ecu to adjust to modifications. I cant see how cut outs are going to do much beyond make more noise unless you drive your car around with them open for many drive cycles...
Old 06-08-11, 01:53 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been considering doing this same thing myself since I want a quiet exhaust for every day driving, but then I want to be able to open it up for performance when needed/wanted. I am going to be getting headers, and then I was thinking about putting the cut-outs immediately after the secondary O2 sensors and then also upgrading the stock cats to the RT High Flow. So it would go Headers->secondary O2 sensors->electric cutouts->secondary cats (RT high flow)->stock exhaust the rest of the way back.

This should cost about $350 for the pair of electric cutouts + $450 for the pair of HF cats + probably $150 to install everything = $950 total. So it would cost about 1/2 as much as an entire aftermaket exhaust with HF cats, and it would be nice and quiet for every day driving. And I should get slightly improved performance even with the cutouts closed because of the high flow cats, and then maximum performance once I open them up.

And you guys are saying that it will take time for the ECU to adjust to something like that, but then how do you explain people who get immediate gains from an exhaust or header swap? I've seen cases where a dyno was done immediately before and then immediate after and the gains were there right away.

Last edited by jleonard71; 06-08-11 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 02:33 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
And you guys are saying that it will take time for the ECU to adjust to something like that, but then how do you explain people who get immediate gains from an exhaust or header swap? I've seen cases where a dyno was done immediately before and then immediate after and the gains were there right away.
They probably pull the battery or some fuses to reset the system.
Old 06-08-11, 04:38 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
They probably pull the battery or some fuses to reset the system.
Wouldn't doing that just reset the ECU back to stock settings? It wouldn't have time to "learn" the new mods as mentioned above just by resetting the ECU.
Old 06-08-11, 06:54 PM
cmsal168
Rookie

[QUOTE=7No;6447577]You're going to drive around in NJ with an open exhaust?!

I believe that it would be at stock decibel levels when the cutouts are closed.
Old 06-08-11, 07:00 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

I looked into it too when my homie with a WRX told me about it. But ya, the ECU will constantly be changing (not good)
Old 06-08-11, 07:07 PM
cmsal168
Rookie

Originally Posted by darbs242
^^^ I agree, it takes 4-8 drive cycles for the ecu to adjust to modifications. I cant see how cut outs are going to do much beyond make more noise unless you drive your car around with them open for many drive cycles...
Wouldn't you see instantaneous gains, when the exhaust becomes wide open and not having to go through the cats and mufflers?

Is it possible to place these cutouts right after the first set of O2 sensors or before the 1st set of cats?
Old 06-08-11, 08:13 PM
7No
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smsal168

I believe that it would be at stock decibel levels when the cutouts are closed.
OK, so let's say that that you do see gains with the cutouts. You're going to drive around with them closed? Right.
Old 06-08-11, 08:17 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I've been considering doing this same thing myself since I want a quiet exhaust for every day driving, but then I want to be able to open it up for performance when needed/wanted. I am going to be getting headers, and then I was thinking about putting the cut-outs immediately after the secondary O2 sensors and then also upgrading the stock cats to the RT High Flow. So it would go Headers->secondary O2 sensors->electric cutouts->secondary cats (RT high flow)->stock exhaust the rest of the way back.

This should cost about $350 for the pair of electric cutouts + $450 for the pair of HF cats + probably $150 to install everything = $950 total. So it would cost about 1/2 as much as an entire aftermaket exhaust with HF cats, and it would be nice and quiet for every day driving. And I should get slightly improved performance even with the cutouts closed because of the high flow cats, and then maximum performance once I open them up.

The gains are eh right off. I have a full exhaust and watched the power grow every drive cycle on the dyno. It literally took 5 full drive cycles for the car to get to the gains that everyone is advertising for the exhaust and the headers. If you want power and stock sound buy headers and dont touch your mid pipes or rear section or buy headers and just a rear section... Obviously there your cars but were driving a 70,000 dollar sports car with a very sophisticated engine management and cutting up your very expensive factory exhaust for some noise that isnt going to get great power gains doesn't make sense to me. Again do what you want with your car just my two cents after spending quite a bit of money on my exhaust with a fair amount of dyno time...
Old 06-08-11, 08:41 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darbs242
The gains are eh right off. I have a full exhaust and watched the power grow every drive cycle on the dyno. It literally took 5 full drive cycles for the car to get to the gains that everyone is advertising for the exhaust and the headers. If you want power and stock sound buy headers and dont touch your mid pipes or rear section or buy headers and just a rear section... Obviously there your cars but were driving a 70,000 dollar sports car with a very sophisticated engine management and cutting up your very expensive factory exhaust for some noise that isnt going to get great power gains doesn't make sense to me. Again do what you want with your car just my two cents after spending quite a bit of money on my exhaust with a fair amount of dyno time...
^^^^Love it ^^^^

If you do the cut outs be 100% ready to admit the fact that its purely for noise and 1/4 or less the power of a full exhaust with 1000 miles on it. I would bet money its sluggish off the line with 0 back pressure and a rich/lean ecu tune trying to figure out wtf you just did every time you touch the switch. In my personal opinion its not for our cars, Leave it to mustangs and civics we are in a different class with the ISF.

Last edited by Mitch08ISF; 06-08-11 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric Exhaust Cutouts