IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rotten eggs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 12:21 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As I was thinking about this....the only thing I did not check or test was the gas cap.

Yes I understand a loose cap would cause a check engine light...but the cap actually has about 28 moving parts inside and potentially could be failing to hold pressure very slowly and not enough to cause a CEL.

Just thinking out loud......because I suspect my cap is not really clicking to the stop position.
Old 06-15-11, 06:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
If exhaust is getting inside your car with all the windows closed you need to have this situation addressed IMMEDIATELY! This is a very dangerous condition, with that smell comes Carbon Monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas which is EXTREMELY poisonous! Your car has an massive air leak somewhere and could result in serious INJURY or DEATH.
This is alarmist hogwash. My 19 year old Supra with the original cats STILL gets 0.0% CO on its emissions tests. Only the guys running catless need to be concerned about CO. It doesn't show up at all with a properly functioning cat, and the SO2 smell indicates the cats are working well.
Old 06-15-11, 07:25 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is alarmist hogwash. My 19 year old Supra with the original cats STILL gets 0.0% CO on its emissions tests. Only the guys running catless need to be concerned about CO. It doesn't show up at all with a properly functioning cat, and the SO2 smell indicates the cats are working well.
Lobux you are getting on your soap box again... Under NO circumstances should a factory fresh car be allowing exhaust fumes into the vehicle. First off I was joking with the poster, second, sulfur smell is NOT indicative of a Cat converter issue or failure. If that's the case you should just leave the car running in the closed garage and let us know how you feel in the morning... Get my point? I can tell you from experience that a running modern vehicle does indeed produce CO, albeit smaller than in the past, but present none the less.

Last edited by ming15237; 06-15-11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 05:53 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulfide, H2S, not SO2.
Old 06-16-11, 11:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Lobux you are getting on your soap box again... Under NO circumstances should a factory fresh car be allowing exhaust fumes into the vehicle. First off I was joking with the poster, second, sulfur smell is NOT indicative of a Cat converter issue or failure. If that's the case you should just leave the car running in the closed garage and let us know how you feel in the morning... Get my point? I can tell you from experience that a running modern vehicle does indeed produce CO, albeit smaller than in the past, but present none the less.
It is practically impossible to kill yourself with a modern automobile in a closed garage unless it is air tight and you burn up the oxygen. CO isn't the primary killer anymore, asphyxiation is. It has been this way since three way catalysts were introduced. In fact, California's emissions testing shows the exhaust from the engine is actually "cleaner" than the air that went in.

Not soapbox - fact. If you dig into emissions testing these days, it's almost exclusively focused on evaporative emissions because the engine part is so clean. Engines pass easily, but the SHED test is the engineer's nightmare.

Exhaust can get in your car in many ways, and the sulfur smell complaint is common enough for Lexus to have a TSIB for it. It's not a fault with the car, nor is it a reason to run to the dealer and complain about the smell getting inside the car.
Old 06-16-11, 06:56 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

put some racde gas and drive it hard for couple of days and see if it smells the same
Old 06-17-11, 04:16 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is practically impossible to kill yourself with a modern automobile in a closed garage unless it is air tight and you burn up the oxygen. CO isn't the primary killer anymore, asphyxiation is. It has been this way since three way catalysts were introduced. In fact, California's emissions testing shows the exhaust from the engine is actually "cleaner" than the air that went in.

Not soapbox - fact. If you dig into emissions testing these days, it's almost exclusively focused on evaporative emissions because the engine part is so clean. Engines pass easily, but the SHED test is the engineer's nightmare.

Exhaust can get in your car in many ways, and the sulfur smell complaint is common enough for Lexus to have a TSIB for it. It's not a fault with the car, nor is it a reason to run to the dealer and complain about the smell getting inside the car.
Emissions testing is a specialty it Pa. we use two systems here a dyno system which consist of a 30 to 180 second sampling of the tail pipe emissions in real world circumstances while on the dyno, and an obd2 scan. In the 15 + years of doing this type of testing I have seen many vehicles achieve low CO readings, however, on the dyno, I have NEVER seen a vehicle achieve a 0 CO reading, NEVER has it happened, not once in 20,000 + test at our facility. As we all know the air in Ca is horrible, and frankly passing gas in that state has the ability to clean the air.
As to the fact of not being able to kill ones self with a modern day vehicle due to CO poisoning, There are a whole bunch of people in the morgue who would argue differently. I personally have seen a minimum of 20 cases of this very event with modern vehicles. As a matter of fact the previous owner of my current home meet the same fate. This is a 2800sq ft home, and let me tell you, a lack of O2 was NOT the issue. When one suffers from a lack of O2 they do not start vomiting, they simply pass out. This is one of the bad signs of CO poisoning, when you have come that far there is almost NO return.

I don't know everything, but I do have access to all the information I could ever need when it comes to automobiles... And reading is my strong suit.
Old 06-21-11, 08:33 PM
Aberdeen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've had the rotten egg smell too...

...on a completely stock setup. Only happend twice, both very similar, even the same passenger in the car! Got about 10 minutes away from the house and merged on the highway and since I had my highschool buddy from 30 years ago in the car, I tromped it good and had the rotten egg smell and white smoke/emission out the back. Only lasted for a second or so but, man does that smell bad. Took it into the dealer and got a similar explanation to the above and was told not to worry about it. Seemed to only happen when the car was just warmed up and hadn't been driven WOT for a while. I'm not concerned.
Old 06-22-11, 06:53 AM
7No
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aberdeen
...and hadn't been driven WOT for a while.
Strains the limits of credulity!
Old 06-27-11, 06:18 PM
Aberdeen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, sorry, context is everything, a "while" is maybe a day or two