IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

new Stainless ISSforged Exhaust on my 2011 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 08:29 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DHRP
Good vid of the install and testing. ISS seems louder than the Joe Z. I haven't heard either one in person though.
ISS is defiantly louder than Joe Z... Theres are no resonators in a ISS and the muffler style appears to be more race oriented.

Joe, what do the interior of our mufflers look like? Are they straight through?
Old 06-18-11, 09:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
ISS is defiantly louder than Joe Z... Theres are no resonators in a ISS and the muffler style appears to be more race oriented.

Joe, what do the interior of our mufflers look like? Are they straight through?
They are universal Magnaflow canisters.

Those canisters run about $200 a piece. $950 for mandrel bent piping? I'm sure Steve didn't pay that much (if any) for it. A very nice exhaust but $1750 is little steep for a Magnaflow exhaust.
Old 07-11-11, 11:36 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
They are universal Magnaflow canisters.

Those canisters run about $200 a piece. $950 for mandrel bent piping? I'm sure Steve didn't pay that much (if any) for it. A very nice exhaust but $1750 is little steep for a Magnaflow exhaust.
Good point. Never thought about it like that. Wonder why ISS charges so much?
Old 07-11-11, 12:18 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Good point. Never thought about it like that. Wonder why ISS charges so much?

i dont know, sometimes there is more involved then just the materials themselves. It probably took some serious R/D to get this system just right. I believe they are hand-built to order and not made at a factory. Prices stay high when something isnt mass produced in some foreign country with people making 50 cents a week building them.

It sort of reminds me when someone wants me to build a speaker box for them and when they hear the price its always "its just wood and some screws".....i just laugh and tell them to go build their own then, or buy prefab.

There will always someone bltching about prices on just about anything that can be made. Either buy it or dont is the way i see it. I wonder how much raw metal is in my $2000 KW coilovers....a couple hundred dollars at the most? And they are charging the other $1800 for what? im outraged.

Last edited by meade916; 07-11-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 01:22 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

If I recall, there were also people moaning about the Joe-Z pricing as well. ISS Forged is mainly in the Wheel business. For a company to go into the exhaust ring is a major step. When you come up with your own original setup and try to replicate it for other owners you will find you incur a lot more cost than just materials. The materials needed, plus the welding materials and labor, the rig setup, the constant install, uninstall change install process takes a lot of time. I am sure he has employees that get paid for what they are doing. Would you work for someone and do tons of work for free, outside of what you are already scheduled to do? Also they have great customer service / satisfaction. It's not like he is using crap materials and shotty craftsmanship. At least the price is reasonable. Look at the prices of some of the other exhaust offerings for us. I saw one for $3500. And that is made overseas, where the cost of labor / parts are PROBABLY a lot lower.
Old 07-11-11, 01:54 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the joez and the iss with burnt tips at my house right now. Both are very well made. Both have great welds. Both use top notch materials. I really must say it's all persOnal preference. If you want stock tips, joez. If you want rounded aftermarket tips, iss. Id say any gains are very negligible between the two. They both feel similar in weight. After seeing both, I'd give joez a lead for a few reasons. Joez seems to be a little more "professional" looking. The flanges, welds, packaging, design- it's pretty flawless. The iss looks more "raw". In no way am I putting iss down. Heck, I'm
Swapping to the iss from joez. I guess what I'm saying is they both do the same thing. They are very similar. But if I had to choose one to display at sema, it would be the joez. I was going to do a dyno heads up and take pics of both, but it's too costly, and kind of pointless. A few hp isn't going to make or break the car. It's not a racecar.

And as far as pricing. It's a $60k car. If you think a full cat back exhaust should cost under $1000, then go buy a $2000 Honda and mod it. R&d costs a ton. Labor costs a lot. Finding time to weld every exhaust in a jig to fit a car perfectly takes time. These things aren't built in an hour. I think $1700 for all the work and design is actually priced under what it could be. If it was me selling they would cost $2000. they would still sell. Got to pay to play.

Last edited by mikefate; 07-11-11 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 06:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by meade916

There will always someone bltching about prices on just about anything that can be made. Either buy it or dont is the way i see it. I wonder how much raw metal is in my $2000 KW coilovers....a couple hundred dollars at the most? And they are charging the other $1800 for what? im outraged.
Of course there will be people complaining about pricing, but i'm fairly certain you didn't pay MSRP or even the normal discounted price for your exhaust or coilovers.
Old 07-11-11, 06:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mikefate
And as far as pricing. It's a $60k car. If you think a full cat back exhaust should cost under $1000, then go buy a $2000 Honda and mod it. R&d costs a ton. Labor costs a lot. Finding time to weld every exhaust in a jig to fit a car perfectly takes time. These things aren't built in an hour. I think $1700 for all the work and design is actually priced under what it could be. If it was me selling they would cost $2000. they would still sell. Got to pay to play.
Agreed. Exhausts for M3 and others cost well over that amount. But i'm going to expect top build quality and top notch materials for that price. Everyone values different things. Sure there aren't many exhaust options for the IS F, but I personally wouldn't pay $1750 for a glorified Magnaflow exhaust. Just sayin'.
Old 07-12-11, 09:24 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Agreed. Exhausts for M3 and others cost well over that amount. But i'm going to expect top build quality and top notch materials for that price. Everyone values different things. Sure there aren't many exhaust options for the IS F, but I personally wouldn't pay $1750 for a glorified Magnaflow exhaust. Just sayin'.
I completely see your point and agree with you.
Old 07-12-11, 11:17 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

I have had 2 different exhausts built for the same race car in the past 6 years. single turbo 02 si making around 700whp. The 3" aluminum exhaust with dirt cheap labor, everything aluminum including v-bands ended up being still around 1000.00. Thats a single pipe guys and a single vibrant race muffler.....

The first was built by T1 Race development, SS all tig welded, v-bands and vibrant piping and muffler still over 1000.00 with a tremendous hook up on labor only cause it cost 20+ grand to build a reliable 10 sec NEW k series civic and T1 got that money too lol.

So all these prices for dual tig welded SS exhaust is very worth it. especially for a 60K CAR.
Old 07-12-11, 12:15 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

The only thing I don't get is people keep bringing up the price of the car like it should matter. I can understand if someone raises price on exhaust prices because it's dual piping so more materials/time etc. Like how a single exit exhaust for an S2K generally costs less than a dual exit, I can understand that.
But just because a car cost $60k should not factor into a price of an exhaust. My personal belief.

P.S.-Everyone keeps saying $1,700 for this exhaust? This is NOWHERE near the quote I got for it. It was wayyy above $1,700. For the quote I got I might as well get the Greddy Titanium lol
Old 07-12-11, 02:10 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nate008
The only thing I don't get is people keep bringing up the price of the car like it should matter. I can understand if someone raises price on exhaust prices because it's dual piping so more materials/time etc. Like how a single exit exhaust for an S2K generally costs less than a dual exit, I can understand that.
But just because a car cost $60k should not factor into a price of an exhaust. My personal belief.

P.S.-Everyone keeps saying $1,700 for this exhaust? This is NOWHERE near the quote I got for it. It was wayyy above $1,700. For the quote I got I might as well get the Greddy Titanium lol
yeap, agreed. I was also NOT quoted that 1700 either. Im with u
Old 07-12-11, 03:06 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

what were you guys quoted at? Forums are all about sharing info!
Old 07-12-11, 07:17 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Got quoted $2,500 not shipped. $200 more for shipping/insurance. Also, since I'm a ricer and love the burnt tips like the Greddy (lol) that would be an extra $350.

Standard exhaust lookin at $2,700 shipped. Burtn Tip option lookin at $3,050 shipped.

If the rules are pay to play, guess I'm on the sidelines lol.

So I don't know how you guys got it for $1,700. Don't know if there was a group buy or somethin but you guys got lucky that got it for that price lol More and more starting to look like Joe Z for my broke a$$ lol

ISS exhaust does look/sound pretty sweet. Especially with the couple pics I saw with the burnt tip option.

Last edited by Nate008; 07-12-11 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I can't spell and need auto spell check lol
Old 07-12-11, 08:37 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here, I had my shop contact ISS and was quoted $2200 or $2500, can't remember. But one thing I do know is that the ISS is louder than JoeZ. This is coming from JE who has installed both ISS and JoeZ exhausts. I don't like loud exhaust.

Quick Reply: new Stainless ISSforged Exhaust on my 2011 ISF