Custom Intake Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 09:55 PM
rtr01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Intake Progress

"Cold Air/Ram Air" enjoy....

blowing into the brake duct with lung power pushes a noticeable amount of air up to the intake.
Old 06-27-11, 12:03 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great job.
Old 06-27-11, 03:59 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I have been thinking of the very same thing since last year. Just never had the nerve to try it.
Old 06-27-11, 10:36 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Looks great!
Old 06-27-11, 10:42 AM
somatic
Rookie

I'll have to try that . Any noticeable changes?
Old 06-27-11, 01:26 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are doing looks very interesting but a question for you. Are you going to be able to have a sealed unit to maintain the ram air pressure? The intake you have shown will be primarily a CAI, for it to be ram air it would need to be a sealed unit like the Vararam for example.

http://www.vararam.com/

Old 06-27-11, 02:02 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Originally Posted by hwy1isf
What you are doing looks very interesting but a question for you. Are you going to be able to have a sealed unit to maintain the ram air pressure? The intake you have shown will be primarily a CAI, for it to be ram air it would need to be a sealed unit like the Vararam for example.

I agree. Would be much more effective if it was going into an airbox. At this point it may let cool air in, but when your driving I cant see it doing much considering how much air is forced into the engine compartment by forward motion of the car.
Old 06-27-11, 03:27 PM
rtr01
Rookie

Originally Posted by hwy1isf

Probably not but you never know. Technically it is not a ram air, just another intake snorkel because with the K&N the factory one basically doesn't do anything anymore. I was going to make a better heat shield, covered on all sides facing the motor, and allowing better use of the factory air snorkel. My car is still on jack stands for a couple more days, going to be installing headers soon. It all depends on what I have time for really... I'm not sure how the ISF would respond to a true ram air....
Old 06-27-11, 04:43 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I imagine airflow would be very "choppy" and not very consistent. Do you think this will throw off the ecu or maf?
Old 06-27-11, 05:58 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

I can tell you that i stuck a filter and did test down where your duct comes in and picked up a great amount of hp and tq. i dont have access to the data but the pics are out there and so is the data that has backed it up! good job way to think outside the box you will love it and it will perform for you.
Old 08-06-11, 10:02 PM
rtr01
Rookie

Well I have some "results" for this contraption. I have some OBD2 software now and I was able to plug my laptop into the ISF. I was able to monitor wheel speed, rpm, barometric pressure, intake air temp, mass air flow rate, engine coolant temp, exhaust temp, throttle position, a/f voltages, timing advance on cylinder 1 and a host of other sensors all in real time. I have made a cap to close off the tube, so I played with it a little. Just a few quick observations... I just did highway driving, not much else.

With the intake tube open the intake air temperature dropped a little quicker than with the tube closed. I didn't pay attention for too long, but the timing seemed more advanced with the intake tube closed. Ex: range from 36-38 degrees with tube closed, vs 35-37 degrees with the tube open. This was at a cruise of 2000rpm, approx 118kph. The air flow rate also seemed to be a little higher with the tube open... again I didn't look too hard, and I didn't save files to compare. The difference was probably negligible. The biggest difference, and I did this with the onboard reading from the car, was the fuel economy. Cruising with the tube closed off, I was able to get 9.2L/100km, which is 29.8mpg, about. Cruising with the tube open, I was able to get 8.8L/100km, which is 32.3mpg, about. I did this over a distance of 250km each with the tube open, and closed. No speed change each way luckily, 2000rpm, 118kph. Each way has its fair share of ups and downs, and the elevation above sea level of each city is only different by about 50ft....

I'm sure over time I will be able to look at these sensors more in depth, and save files and whatnot... I am trying to get into a stock ISF to plug in to and monitor its sensors to compare. One thing I have noticed is the throttle position reading seems to not jive with my software. Because the ISF at full throttle says it is only open 81.xxxxxxxxxxxx%, and at idle, no throttle it is 16.9xxxxxxxxxxx%.... so that is a bit odd. Also the intake air temp seems to stabilize around 10C or 50F from from the ambient with or without the intake tube, it just seems to come down a little faster with the tube open. This is when cruising at highway speeds anyways, the temp is higher when around town, but I haven't monitored it enough to be able to give you an idea.... This is all for now, its late, I'm tired, I sleep now.
Old 08-07-11, 11:01 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr01
Well I have some "results" for this contraption. I have some OBD2 software now and I was able to plug my laptop into the ISF. I was able to monitor wheel speed, rpm, barometric pressure, intake air temp, mass air flow rate, engine coolant temp, exhaust temp, throttle position, a/f voltages, timing advance on cylinder 1 and a host of other sensors all in real time. I have made a cap to close off the tube, so I played with it a little. Just a few quick observations... I just did highway driving, not much else.

With the intake tube open the intake air temperature dropped a little quicker than with the tube closed. I didn't pay attention for too long, but the timing seemed more advanced with the intake tube closed. Ex: range from 36-38 degrees with tube closed, vs 35-37 degrees with the tube open. This was at a cruise of 2000rpm, approx 118kph. The air flow rate also seemed to be a little higher with the tube open... again I didn't look too hard, and I didn't save files to compare. The difference was probably negligible. The biggest difference, and I did this with the onboard reading from the car, was the fuel economy. Cruising with the tube closed off, I was able to get 9.2L/100km, which is 29.8mpg, about. Cruising with the tube open, I was able to get 8.8L/100km, which is 32.3mpg, about. I did this over a distance of 250km each with the tube open, and closed. No speed change each way luckily, 2000rpm, 118kph. Each way has its fair share of ups and downs, and the elevation above sea level of each city is only different by about 50ft....

I'm sure over time I will be able to look at these sensors more in depth, and save files and whatnot... I am trying to get into a stock ISF to plug in to and monitor its sensors to compare. One thing I have noticed is the throttle position reading seems to not jive with my software. Because the ISF at full throttle says it is only open 81.xxxxxxxxxxxx%, and at idle, no throttle it is 16.9xxxxxxxxxxx%.... so that is a bit odd. Also the intake air temp seems to stabilize around 10C or 50F from from the ambient with or without the intake tube, it just seems to come down a little faster with the tube open. This is when cruising at highway speeds anyways, the temp is higher when around town, but I haven't monitored it enough to be able to give you an idea.... This is all for now, its late, I'm tired, I sleep now.
Great data! Curious minds want to know about power. Is there a power increase you think by doing this? As the F accelerates, do you feel the routed coldair being delivered?

~Dv8