IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Searching for 08 IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 09:54 AM
RowingGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for 08 IS-F

Hello, I am new to the board and Lexus in general. I have a 89 Porsche 928 that I have owned for many years and am looking to move on from it. I've toyed around with many different cars and none of them are adequate replacements. Along comes the IS-F and IS-350. Mmmm, nice cars. Making the switch to one of these wouldn't be much of a "hit" to me, if that makes sense.

I have driven the 350 but don't have an F to check out locally. I'm in Jax, FL. My one issue is that I have a limited budget to work with for a variety of reasons, most importantly, once our home sells in PA, we will be buying a new home down here in Jax. So, we have a mortgage to think about. Basically, I need to keep the cost down so I'm looking at 2008 IS-Fs. On autotrader, there are several close to my price range. Of course, this puts me at risk with the car. One was in an accident, another has super high miles and so on.

I was hoping you kind folks could help guide me. I would much rater get the IS-F now, rather than the 350 and want to upgrade later. Thoughts and suggestions on how to proceed are greatly appreciated.

Scott
Old 06-30-11, 11:01 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say don't even bother thinking about the 350. Although you're paying more for a used 08 F, you're getting the same reliability (and in some cases a factory warranty). There are so many clear differences and advantages of getting the F... one major reason I got mine was because of the rarity of it. I see maybe 5-10 250/350's a day but never an F.

You can easily tell an F apart from a regular IS. In my opinion and from what I've seen, it is harder to tell a BMW 3 series from an M3 (unless you look twice), because some people interchange parts. M3 is a great car, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying.

Quad exhaust tips, fenders, F badges everywhere, bulging hood, 19" OEM BBS wheels... are just some of the major exterior differences. Besides that, it is a blast to drive and handling is absolutely amazing.

Yes, I am coming from a 1998 Acura Integra which has 140HP and is unmodded, so it is a major upgrade; however, the other owners may be able to tell you more about how much better it is than the other luxury cars they drove, not to mention the reliability.

When I shopped I didn't even consider the 350 after reading people's opinions on their F's on this very forum. Get an ISF and you won't go back!
Old 06-30-11, 11:11 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Go ISF without question. High mileage should not really be an issue, it's a Toyota after all. Make sure though the car is price accordingly. It will probably not be covered by warranty so set aside some money for wear and tear items. Bear in mind, high performance tires are expensive, brakes for this car are expensive. Prices right now are artificially inflated due to the disasters in Japan creating low inventory of new cars. If you can hold out things may loosen up soon as more cars come off their 3 year lease and normal production resumes.
Old 06-30-11, 11:57 AM
armstronga
Rookie

Due to your other monetary obligations, i say go is350. With similar miles and condition it could be a 15-20k dollar difference. I love the is-f as much as the next person but some of you owners make it seem like it's god...

with that said I plan to be in an is-f one day.

Last edited by armstronga; 06-30-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 12:09 PM
RowingGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Folks. I've been searching around and have found an IS-F that could work for me. I know it's a Toyota but it is still 90K miles. I also feel that it is overpriced. Here's a link. I've asked them for some actual photos but no response yet. The site states stock photos.

Any thoughts on a decent price for this vehicle?

http://www.treasurecoastlexus.com/Ve...-FL/1123154303

Thanks again.

Scott
Old 06-30-11, 12:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

From someone who has owned both, don't waste your time with the 350 if you really want the power of the F.
Old 06-30-11, 12:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by RowingGuy
Thanks Folks. I've been searching around and have found an IS-F that could work for me. I know it's a Toyota but it is still 90K miles. I also feel that it is overpriced. Here's a link. I've asked them for some actual photos but no response yet. The site states stock photos.

Any thoughts on a decent price for this vehicle?

http://www.treasurecoastlexus.com/Ve...-FL/1123154303

Thanks again.

Scott
That car has 100k on it, and they're showing stock pictures, not actual shots of the vehicle. Price is definitely on the high side unless the brakes are new and the tires are new (and NOT General UHP Exclaims).
Old 06-30-11, 01:21 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with lobuxracer. It is a Toyota, but 100k miles is way too excessive. And if that is your price range, I would suggest going with the 350. Prices are still a bit high considering it's summertime, and like mentioned above, the crisis in Japan.

It's all relative, but less miles = less problems. Check the carfax for any suspicious repairs, as this may come back to haunt you if you get an F that has had major repairs in the past. I would say try for one with less than 30k miles, if not 40k miles.
Old 06-30-11, 01:25 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I saw in your post you said you haven't driven the IS-F yet... go drive one
WORLD of a difference between the IS-F and ANYTHING ELSE TOYOTA HAS EVER MADE (stock oem of course)

Also, I would never even entertain the idea of buying a car that has done more than 10k mi /year
An 08 with 100k miles... that's like ... a really big number
If we assume car was titled in 07
that's 20k miles a year or so right?
Plus no warranty.....
Old 06-30-11, 02:34 PM
RowingGuy
Driver School Candidate

I have no idea that the IS-F would be a superior vehicle. I would really like to get myself in to one. I just drove the 350 and it is a nice car. Better acceleration than I expected. It doesn't have the torque that I am used to but still nice. Ahhh, nothing like a V8.

It's really high miles. The link I sent previously, has a link within it for the carfax report. It is right under the milage figures. It has been maintained as it should be, and there doesn't appear to be any issues.

The salesman just sent me a few pics via his cell phone. They are supposed to be updating the website with photos tomorrow, we'll see about that. It is in their garage now, that's where the photos were taken. Engine cover is off, don't know if they are doing any work on it. Literally, just got a text from the dealer, they just replaced the main computer board, he says the car is on the lot and running like new.

He told me the original owner was a doctor who travelled to his patients, hence the milage. It's an average of 31,600/yr and 2633miles/month. Yea, super high. But it's still better than just sitting there.

My plan was to get an extended warranty on the car to counter any potential issues. They aren't that expensive for the IS-350 in general. It would be a good purchase to insure some of the potential issues would be taken care of. Most warrantee places will cover a car as long as it has not passed 100K.

I asked if the timing belt was changed, he said it has a timing chain. All the carfax said was that the recommended maintenance was performed. I was looking for the maintenance schedule but did n't find it, so I don't know what has or needs to be done.

Forgive me, my brain ain't what it used to be. What is, "and NOT General UHP Exclaims"?

Any suggestions on what a fair price would be for this car?

I appreciate all of your help.
Old 06-30-11, 03:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

General UHP Exclaims are the cheapest of cheap tires which fit a 19" wheel. I wouldn't run them. The car should have Bridgestone RE050As or Michelin PS2s if they stuck with the OEM tires. If it's something cheap, it's definitely not worth the 30k they're asking.
Old 06-30-11, 04:25 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I would have an issue with paying that much for a vehicle with that many miles on it. I agree with the others that the IS 350 would be a waste of time and money if you would like to have an F as you will continue to kick yourself later. Wouldn't it be better to wait until you could swing another $6-7k and get one with 50-60k miles on it?
Old 06-30-11, 07:20 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the coverage fine prints and most likely, it's an inclusionary warranty, which may not cover much.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by RowingGuy
...My plan was to get an extended warranty on the car to counter any potential issues. They aren't that expensive for the IS-350 in general. It would be a good purchase to insure some of the potential issues would be taken care of. Most warrantee places will cover a car as long as it has not passed 100K...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-30-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 07:34 PM
RowingGuy
Driver School Candidate

whoops, that should have read, "I have no doubt" Not idea.

I have no idea that the IS-F would be a superior vehicle. I would really like to get myself in to one. I just drove the 350 and it is a nice car. Better acceleration than I expected. It doesn't have the torque that I am used to but still nice. Ahhh, nothing like a V8.

Yea, you guys are right, it would be best to wait but, unfortunately, I need to get a car pretty much now. With the 928's a/c shot in the Florida heat, I have to move on something. I'm going to look and see what tacking on a year to the loan will do for the amount I can borrow. Maybe I can swing a lower milage F.

Going back to autotrader and cars.com. Know of any deals out there?

Scott
Old 06-30-11, 08:06 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

There's an F for sale locally here for $36k. Gael gray over black. It's listed at dz motors in Rahway, Nj. I have no affiliation with them, I happened to see it recently when I was looking at a car.

Quick Reply: Searching for 08 IS-F