IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Install and dyno @ JE: Zex 100 shot

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 09:58 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Its so tempting to do this, but the thought of drilling holes in the trunk for the bottle brackets and spending another 1k+ for temp power. What happened to NOS kits for 500 bucks

Have you been to the drag strip with just the boltons?

~Dv8
nos kits are 500.....but the accessories and safe guards are limitless. I have seen kits go up to 4,000+ its like any power adder. To do it right and safe nothing is cheap. Remember I have now about 1500 invested in just parts, but still no heater cause its 100+ outside and no bottle opener because that will just make me use it more. There is no need for me to be spraying unless on dyno or track. I drive too much during traffic hours. The same panel he mounted his bottle on can be purchased very cheap new from Lexus. That's why I chose that same spot for my battery. My bottle on the other hand had to be drilled into the actual car. There is no way anyone would know it was for a bottle because I have 0 other evidence and the chances of a tech raising up the Lexus cargo mat and then carpet to inspect are very slim. Who's to say the holes were not there for a second amp or speakers??
Old 07-12-11, 10:12 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
nos kits are 500.....but the accessories and safe guards are limitless. I have seen kits go up to 4,000+ its like any power adder. To do it right and safe nothing is cheap. Remember I have now about 1500 invested in just parts, but still no heater cause its 100+ outside and no bottle opener because that will just make me use it more. There is no need for me to be spraying unless on dyno or track. I drive too much during traffic hours. The same panel he mounted his bottle on can be purchased very cheap new from Lexus. That's why I chose that same spot for my battery. My bottle on the other hand had to be drilled into the actual car. There is no way anyone would know it was for a bottle because I have 0 other evidence and the chances of a tech raising up the Lexus cargo mat and then carpet to inspect are very slim. Who's to say the holes were not there for a second amp or speakers??
I ran nitrous in my race car for 7 years before going turbo: dry, fogger, direct port, bottle opener, bottle warmer, progressive controller.. hell I still have both 10 and 20 lbs bottles.
I wonder if I can recycle some of my existing parts?
With throttle by wire, the microswitch is no longer used to arm at WOT, so is it voltage based now? How easy is it to tap in to the F's fuel system? Seems like several online orders from Summit to get all the right AN fittings.

~Dv8
Old 07-12-11, 10:23 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

I ran nitrous in my race car for 7 years before going turbo: dry, fogger, direct port, bottle opener, bottle warmer, progressive controller.. hell I still have both 10 and 20 lbs bottles.
I wonder if I can recycle some of my existing parts?
With throttle by wire, the microswitch is no longer used to arm at WOT, so is it voltage based now? How easy is it to tap in to the F's fuel system? Seems like several online orders from Summit to get all the right AN fittings.

~Dv8
well yeah looking at the lines, quick connects and fittings that were used in this particular build id still use the safe cell like I did, but thats just me. Less work and a clean install with very little troubleshooting if any at all. yes the tps is voltage based and easy to install. It just depends on how in depth you want to go with switches and wiring. The basic wiring to arm the switch and have 100% throttle activated spray is very easy and you can just buy the switch from summit or nx direct. you can use the microswitch if you find a way to mount it by the pedal on a bracket so that when you arm the system and the pedal hits the floor it sprays....I also know on the fuel side Slayx just tapped the driver fuel rail with a simple fitting and hose so you dont need all that stuff pictured in this thread unless you want 0 evidence of tapping, But again I highly doubt a Lexus tech could notice a 1/8 plug down the road.
Old 07-18-11, 01:06 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
well yeah looking at the lines, quick connects and fittings that were used in this particular build id still use the safe cell like I did, but thats just me. Less work and a clean install with very little troubleshooting if any at all. yes the tps is voltage based and easy to install. It just depends on how in depth you want to go with switches and wiring. The basic wiring to arm the switch and have 100% throttle activated spray is very easy and you can just buy the switch from summit or nx direct. you can use the microswitch if you find a way to mount it by the pedal on a bracket so that when you arm the system and the pedal hits the floor it sprays....I also know on the fuel side Slayx just tapped the driver fuel rail with a simple fitting and hose so you dont need all that stuff pictured in this thread unless you want 0 evidence of tapping, But again I highly doubt a Lexus tech could notice a 1/8 plug down the road.
I like your safe cell but there no way its less work than what i did. they built that fuel line in 20 minutes and installed. you have hours in relocating your battery and installing that fuel cell and i could put mine back to stock much faster. Take off the fuel line and put the stock one back in, less hole drilling too.
Old 07-18-11, 02:09 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darbs242
I like your safe cell but there no way its less work than what i did. they built that fuel line in 20 minutes and installed. you have hours in relocating your battery and installing that fuel cell and i could put mine back to stock much faster. Take off the fuel line and put the stock one back in, less hole drilling too.
I understand your point, but remember some people doing their own work may not be able to put that together so quickly. I only have a couple hours in it because I had no idea where to run the main wire and mount the battery. I have the same holes you do. The safe cell mounts up in minutes with the oem battery gone and only has 1 possible leak point vs looking at yours a possible 8 if not installed perfect. If I had the battery parts in front of me and the install knowledge that I now know the average person should never take more than 1 hour relocating the battery. Plus it gets relocated to the lightest corner of the car so its a win win. Your set up is perfectly fine for those not worried about the lack of tuning on our motor. The fact that we cant mess with timing bothered me enough to always want to run race gas with the bottle. Im sure 91-93 is fine as well if done correctly as you have.
Old 07-19-11, 10:35 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Ryan, how is everything working for you? Have you refilled your bottle yet? Here is a dyno video from the install day.

Had a good turn out for the meet afterwards.

Last edited by JE; 07-19-11 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-19-11, 10:41 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice gains and setup too
Old 07-25-11, 10:54 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by rrehovich
Hey Darby,

Any update on the solenoid issue? Is everything working fine now? Also, I'm curious, which solenoid failed. Was it the NOS or the fuel solenoid?
It ended up not being a solenoid problem, we froze the bottle to get more No2 in and we exceeded the PSI range of the solenoid box so once the system was used once there was so much pressure on the NO2 solenoid it was causing the solenoid to stick. Once bottle PSI fell 1000-1500 psi the problem completely stopped... Zex customer support was great helping JE & I diagnose the issue... the car is simply retarted fast. 600's are now a joke & GSX-R 750's beware

Last edited by darbs242; 07-25-11 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 10:57 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by JE
Ryan, how is everything working for you? Have you refilled your bottle yet? Here is a dyno video from the install day.

Had a good turn out for the meet afterwards.

On bottle 3 , the NOS bottle I had/have works fine with the zex auto opener too... I'm done modding for a hot sec... with VSC off the car is wild... The forman at the local Toyota store checked it out. He said, "dam kid, that car is bad. Sounds like it shouldnt even be on the road... straight Lexus race car. The boys in the shop were drooling!" Its amazing how different you get treated with a high end car. I go in to get a oil change and a third of the store is like, "how are you Mr. Darby" never like that in pervious cars.

Last edited by darbs242; 07-25-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 10:10 AM
darbs242
Racer

Set up is killing it... went head to head with a 1000RR the other day from 30-100 and he took me by 3-4 car lenghts, super impressive for a 3800lb car
Old 09-14-11, 11:31 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set up is killing it... went head to head with a 1000RR the other day from 30-100 and he took me by 3-4 car lenghts, super impressive for a 3800lb car
Are you planning on drag racing it? If so are you planning anything specific to deal with the 11.49 cage limit or do you not expect to hit beyond that ET?

~Dv8
Old 09-14-11, 12:09 PM
mr2fast
Driver

very nice!
Old 09-14-11, 03:37 PM
darbs242
Racer

Are you planning on drag racing it? If so are you planning anything specific to deal with the 11.49 cage limit or do you not expect to hit beyond that ET?

~Dv8
I already have a little, i had brand new slicks and a rough first night breakingg them in but ran 12.0 at 118... i should manage mid 11s maybe a little better. the track i go to is in canada and is privitly owned so they make up their own rules... you can pound a beer and jump in your car and no one cares... its silly, helmet at 11s and no cage till 10s which i dont think im gonna hit
Old 01-16-23, 06:41 PM
darbs242
Racer

Thinking about picking up another ISF, miss this thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by darbs242:
BS ISF (01-17-23), GR8WHITE (01-17-23)
Old 01-17-23, 01:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Thinking about picking up another ISF, miss this thing.
Glad I haven't moved on yet. Still love driving this car every day.
The following users liked this post:
GR8WHITE (01-17-23)

Quick Reply: Install and dyno @ JE: Zex 100 shot