IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky headers question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 12:28 PM
rtr01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see there has been another thread with pictures of my headers that I never put up lol. Yah I did install the headers myself. The reason so many people are happier with them is because they probably weren't there for the install, or they didn't have to deal with the bull$#@& associated with it. The dipstick wouldn't have fit even if I shipped my car 4000 miles to JE to do it. It was rubbing on more than one immovable object, and it didn't go in the hole. End of story. How do you know I'm not a mechanic? I am a perfectly capable human being with a fountain of knowledge from someone who has experience with hundreds of vehicles in his 40 year hobby. This install was not difficult. It was just a pain in the ***. The main complaint with Sikky product is that the dipstick didn't fit and I had to extend one o2 sensor. Something a 'professional' would have also had to do. I fixed the flanges long ago, and they work perfectly fine now, probably better. Sikky makes a sub par product and has terrible customer relations.
Old 07-12-11, 01:23 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpower
^^^^ Just got off the phone with PPE and asked them why there is a tube that is attached to the o2 sensor and got an answer that the reading would be too high and thus the tube??? Makes no sense to me to put something there to defeats the purpose of the o2 sensor? The reason the reading would be too high if the extension tube isnt used is that cats used in PPE set up isnt as high efficiency. IMO might as well just go no cats and sim rather than get a messed up reading from a sensor. Please correct me if i am wrong, don't mean to be a ****.

I appreciate all the info and help guys.
The tube after the cat serves 2 purposes. It is angled so that the sensor will reach, and it extends the sensor out so that it puts out a signal that is further in the range that the computer would like to see.

NO aftermarket high-flow cat is as efficient as the stock cat. That coupled with the fact that the aftermarket cat is further back from the stock cat makes it less efficient. (efficiency is a function of temperature) Getting the high-flow cats vs no cats will be better for the environment as well as reduce the smell of exhaust gases. Other than that you will get more power without the cats.

The sensor after the cat is for emissions purposes, specifically to monitor that cat and make sure it is functioning. The sensor in front of the cat is the important one that is used to determine the A/F ratio.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-12-11, 01:29 PM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
The tube after the cat serves 2 purposes. It is angled so that the sensor will reach, and it extends the sensor out so that it puts out a signal that is further in the range that the computer would like to see.

NO aftermarket high-flow cat is as efficient as the stock cat. That coupled with the fact that the aftermarket cat is further back from the stock cat makes it less efficient. (efficiency is a function of temperature) Getting the high-flow cats vs no cats will be better for the environment as well as reduce the smell of exhaust gases. Other than that you will get more power without the cats.

The sensor after the cat is for emissions purposes, specifically to monitor that cat and make sure it is functioning. The sensor in front of the cat is the important one that is used to determine the A/F ratio.

Hope that makes sense.
Would you say it would be possible to use a secondary cat in place of your aftermarket less efficient cat and not weld in a tube? Virtually eliminating the 2nd cats by using them in conjuction with your headers which seem to be better than Sikkies? Hope this makes sense. In a nutshell I want everything to function stock like without any trickery of the ECU.
Old 07-12-11, 01:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^I don't believe the secondary cats would fit there. And since, as Paul said, they're mounted further back than in the stock location, it is my opinion that you still need the need the tubes for the purposes that Paul mentioned.

BTW, Paul is not monitoring this thread. I conveyed your concerns to him and asked him to respond.

Lou
Old 07-12-11, 02:04 PM
Bpower
Driver

They do look pretty big for sure...Looks like the best way to skin the cat is to eliminate the primary cats and get "sim" since the after market cats only work half-way and you need more trickery on top of spending money to attain and weld them in place. Then probably keep the 2ndrary cats to help with smell of gas and such.
Old 07-12-11, 03:21 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr01
The main complaint with Sikky product is that the dipstick didn't fit and I had to extend one o2 sensor. Something a 'professional' would have also had to do. I fixed the flanges long ago, and they work perfectly fine now, probably better. Sikky makes a sub par product and has terrible customer relations.
Maybe your dipstick didnt fit... maybe you didnt do it right, no one on here will ever know. This comment about Sikky is spoken like fact, its your opinion. I have Sikky headers that were installed at JE and I have not had one problem with the headers, dipstick... anything for that matter. I beat the hell out of them, Ive hit the track numuors times and they are holding up great... Sikky makes a hell of a product in my opinion and all customer service has been tops I think their flange design works awesome, no leaks in 12k

Last edited by darbs242; 07-13-11 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 03:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

They do look pretty big for sure...Looks like the best way to skin the cat is to eliminate the primary cats and get "sim" since the after market cats only work half-way and you need more trickery on top of spending money to attain and weld them in place. Then probably keep the 2ndrary cats to help with smell of gas and such.
The aftermarket cats don't only work half way. there just not as efficient as the stock cats because of position and size. However using the O2 simulator and the secondary cats is a socially responsible thing to do. It's just that the stock exhaust system doesn't flow very well. I don't know your position on exhaust noise. The reason I had my custom exhaust fabricated (a dual system with an X pipe, was because I wanted to retain the stock mufflers. I thought all the aftermarket systems were too loud for me.

Lou
Old 07-12-11, 03:50 PM
Bpower
Driver

^^^^ Sometimes I think the stock is too loud. I think if headers give 40 hp to the wheels alone then I don't need to touch the stock exhaust and it will be still a bit louder doe to higher flowing headers. Are you hassled by the dealer at all for your headers?
Old 07-12-11, 06:24 PM
rtr01
Rookie

Originally Posted by darbs242

Maybe your dipstick didnt fit... maybe you didnt do it right, no one on here will ever know. This comment about Sikky is spoken like fact, its your opinion. I have Sikky headers that were installed at JE and I have not had one problem with the headers, dipstick... anything for that matter. I beat the hell out of them, Ive hit the track numuors times and they are holding up great... Sikky makes a hell of a product in my opinion and all customer service has been tops I think their flange design works awesome, no leaks in 12k
There is only one way to thread the dipstick into its hole. The simple fact of the matter was it could not be pushed down far enough to screw the bolt into its hole because the tube was already resting on the 2nd header tube from the front. The rubber o-ring was also half exposed at this point, meaning half of the o-ring wasnt inside the engine block sealing the oil inside. If you rotated the tube, it would go down a little farther (because the rotating action would cause the angle to change giving more clearance) into the hole, but still would be unable to start the bolt to secure it because the bracket would then be at a 45 degree angle to the engine block.

My friend, who happens to be a Lexus technician, installed Sikky headers on his car 2 months ago. He said the dipstick was garbage. He had a really huge problem getting it to go into the hole and seal because his o-ring kept coming out of its grove because it wasn't going into the hole properly. After test drive he came back and it still leaked. Are you calling him unqualified? You personally did not install your headers. Therefore you have absolutely no clue what-so-ever how many issues there were with the actual fit and finish of this product.

The customer service could be better because you are able to deal with them IN PERSON. FACE TO FACE, and they don't have the guff to be the way they are with anyone via phone or email. Much different when you actually have to look at the person who is chewing you out.

Their flange design works as we have seen, but it is absolutely second rate. Who knows how many times they have had a leak on that first start up and had to shift something around to get it to seal? WE'LL NEVER KNOW.
Old 07-12-11, 06:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Are you hassled by the dealer at all for your headers?
Don't know, I do routine maintenance myself. However, I stop into the dealer from time to time and told them what I have done and they seem interested I have opted out of the recalls for the modified throttle pedal and ECU change.

Lou
Old 07-12-11, 07:42 PM
rtr01
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Don't know, I do routine maintenance myself. However, I stop into the dealer from time to time and told them what I have done and they seem interested I have opted out of the recalls for the modified throttle pedal and ECU change.

Lou
As have I.
Old 07-12-11, 08:23 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Add me into the list of happy customers with Sikky headers installed at JE. Got mine installed about 3 weeks ago. No issues what so ever and I have never heard of any issues with the dipstick and Sikky headers. My dipstick is fine and stock. Looks like you and your lexus technician friend need some more experience.
Old 07-12-11, 08:46 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PurduePete
^^ Add me into the list of happy customers with Sikky headers installed at JE. Got mine installed about 3 weeks ago. No issues what so ever and I have never heard of any issues with the dipstick and Sikky headers. My dipstick is fine and stock. Looks like you and your lexus technician friend need some more experience.
Yup me too. No issues and around 10k on them. I am about to weld my cats to the iss forged exhaust.....Its just too damn loud honestly, I cant take it anymore daily driving the car.
Old 07-13-11, 05:56 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by rtr01
There is only one way to thread the dipstick into its hole. The simple fact of the matter was it could not be pushed down far enough to screw the bolt into its hole because the tube was already resting on the 2nd header tube from the front. The rubber o-ring was also half exposed at this point, meaning half of the o-ring wasnt inside the engine block sealing the oil inside. If you rotated the tube, it would go down a little farther (because the rotating action would cause the angle to change giving more clearance) into the hole, but still would be unable to start the bolt to secure it because the bracket would then be at a 45 degree angle to the engine block.

My friend, who happens to be a Lexus technician, installed Sikky headers on his car 2 months ago. He said the dipstick was garbage. He had a really huge problem getting it to go into the hole and seal because his o-ring kept coming out of its grove because it wasn't going into the hole properly. After test drive he came back and it still leaked. Are you calling him unqualified? You personally did not install your headers. Therefore you have absolutely no clue what-so-ever how many issues there were with the actual fit and finish of this product.

The customer service could be better because you are able to deal with them IN PERSON. FACE TO FACE, and they don't have the guff to be the way they are with anyone via phone or email. Much different when you actually have to look at the person who is chewing you out.

Their flange design works as we have seen, but it is absolutely second rate. Who knows how many times they have had a leak on that first start up and had to shift something around to get it to seal? WE'LL NEVER KNOW.
Your right about the fact I wasnt doing the install and I didnt watch it happen but I know Ive never had a problem with the dipstick touching things, leaking oil or having o-ring problems. I can speak to the to the fact fitment of the headers finished on my car is perfect.

I have no idea if your lexus friend is qualified. I do know that I have worked in car dealerships of a few high end brands for the past 10 years and just because someone is a Lexus tech doesn't mean you didn't get hired out of jiffy lube a year prior and think your good, ive seen plenty of that. There are many levels of technician and just because you work for a brand or have been to a few schools doesn't make you a good tech. I AM NOT BASHING YOUR FRIEND, I DO NOT KNOW HIM... Im saying working for a franchise dealer doesn't stamp you qualified tech in my eyes , I have seen many that suck.

And I wouldn't know about chewing them out over the phone or face to face... I haven't had problems and am super happy with my headers.
Old 07-13-11, 06:12 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Yup me too. No issues and around 10k on them. I am about to weld my cats to the iss forged exhaust.....Its just too damn loud honestly, I cant take it anymore daily driving the car.
Hey bud, have them put in super quiet resinators not cats... between your full exhaust and nitrous your going to melt them and clog your exhaust just as I did.

Quick Reply: Sikky headers question...