IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 09:36 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you live in Miami? I work in Ft. Lauderdale, so we can meet on my drive back to Miami, depending on where you live.

Originally Posted by Bpower
Do you have it on? If so can we meet up so I could listen to it?
Old 07-20-11, 09:39 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I'm curious, can you please provide your baseline dyno info? Thx.

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
I didnt post a thread, but I gained nothing as well. The before dyno was done 2hrs before the after. I really know my way around a dyno. I have a feeling my next dyno(well over 2k miles later)will show good gains. At least I hope so, because it feels faster. I have headers and an intake to install after the new baseline. Then Dyno again.

OP,
I got used to all the sounds it makes and I thoroughly enjoy it now. Its not quiet, its good loud. I hear the Borla is over all quieter-less aggressive sounding.

~Dv8
Old 07-20-11, 10:30 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
newb question: Is there a way to reset the ecu w/o disconnecting the battery, like pulling a fuse? Sorry to thread jack.

I'd like to hear the JoeZ and the Borla side by side
Here's a YouTube clip so u can hear both exhaust next to each other. Joe Z FTW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teym7v-VZXE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old 07-20-11, 11:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
If I were u I'd drive 10 minutes down the road to ISS and listen to their exhaust. You live in Miami and it's very nice sounding. If you can live with the drone that is.
Yeap, there is a fuse to pull. Not sure which though.
Disconnecting the battery is really bad for a lot of reasons. Click here for resetting the 350 and the F is just about the same. If you have any confusion, just look at the fuse map in the lid for the same fuses as the 350 needs to have pulled.
Old 07-20-11, 12:48 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Juanca...I'd love to hear it too. Lemme know when so I can tag along..if thats ok with you

Wow we wow those 2 exhaust sounds GrEAT! The borla has 2 muffler exits
Old 07-20-11, 02:51 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve727
Here's a YouTube clip so u can hear both exhaust next to each other. Joe Z FTW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teym7...e_gdata_player
Borla Axle back and the Borla cat back sound different. A good comparo, but not apples to apples. The Axleback still has all 4 cats & resonators in, while the cat backs only have 2 cats and no res.

~Dv8
Old 07-20-11, 03:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
The Axleback still has all 4 cats & resonators in, while the cat backs only have 2 cats and no res.

~Dv8
Yes and No. The stock system has 4 cats, 1 resonator and 2 mufflers. The Joe Z and, I guess, any dual cat back system removes the 2 secondary cats and replaces the 1 resonator with 2 third party resonators, and also replaces the 2 stock mufflers with 2 third party mufflers.

Lou
Old 07-20-11, 06:42 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, but has anyone ever uploaded a video of the full Borla cat back? I know there are a few members on the forum that have it.
Old 07-20-11, 06:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Lots of great posts in this thread!!!

Originally Posted by darbs242
It is the quietest full dual exhaust option we have for under 2k. Its a high quality exhaust at a fair price. Comparable systems are really Borla, ISS & Royal mufflers ranging from 1-4k, I bet you if you read back you will find 30 treads in the past 6 months similar to your own. The ratio of happy vs unhappy isx50 & isF Joe Z exhaust owners is just silly in favor of the system. My car gained on 59whp from sikky headers and a PTS, il give sikky 40 of that but Joe gets the rest. Love mine and track it on the regular...

After you disconnect the battery it takes about 5 drive cycles with WOT pulls for the car to adjust to the mods completely, you get about half the power upon install then the rest threw the ECM adjustments.

^^ This post says it all....

Joe Z
Old 07-20-11, 07:00 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI - Asked the fellas at JE, whom have installed both the JoeZ and ISS many times, the ISS is louder according to them.
Old 07-20-11, 08:23 PM
Bpower
Driver

Does full Borla (cat back) drones like Joe Z's does? I think axle back is just silly!

Last edited by Bpower; 07-20-11 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 08:27 PM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
Where do you live in Miami? I work in Ft. Lauderdale, so we can meet on my drive back to Miami, depending on where you live.
I can meet you anywhere you like, I live near the Miami airport. Exhaust isnt cheap and I am great full you are willing to let me hear/experience it.
Old 07-20-11, 09:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bpower
Does full Borla (cat back) drones like Joe Z's does? I think axle back is just silly!
What drone???

Seriously I drive over 75 miles a day and can easily have a conference call on the Bluetooth..
Or great conversation with people in the car.

The sound we developed on the system still keeps that rich luxury feel when you're driving normal, but at WOT you get that true performance sound that our unique V-8 creates.

I get people who ask me to make it louder and I get people who want it quieter.
Fact is for over 2 years we have made it one way and will continue to do so.

We can make it louder & obnoxious too, but drone will be there as a full time side effect.

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-20-11 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 09:39 AM
Bpower
Driver

^^^ Not trying to be negative here but there were a few members reporting cabin drone @ 2K rpm UNDER LOAD.

In one of the posts I read you offered something for the muffler to fix it.

Bottom line is if there is no drone and and muffler is modified to reflect the stock functionality of the tips then I am all over it! I Am sure you can custom tweak it for me Joe!
Old 07-25-11, 10:33 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Because it takes some time for these factory ECU's we have to relearn.
After every mod I do I disconnect the battery, pump the brakes to get all electrical out of the car. Connect battery, test to make sure the install went ok then after 3 weeks I'll go and do a dyno if my interests peak me enough.
People keep saying that on here, but I don't think that's right. I've never seen that on any other car I've owned. Maybe for an intake that messes with the MAF readings, but an exhaust is removing backpressure. Immediately. The gains should be immediate. You may make more power as the ECU adjusts to change in backpressure, but if you don't see immediate gains, something is wrong.

Given the same exact values in the ECU with a restrictive exhaust and the same exact values with a freer-flowing exhaust, the latter is going to make more power, unless the exhaust wasn't a restriction to begin with. Not that I'm saying that's the case here. Just talking hypothetically.

Quick Reply: Joe Z exhaust ?