IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 11:52 AM
Bpower
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Z exhaust ?

Hey guys, I want to get to the bottom of this. I am looking for some exhaust options and Joe Z seems to be the most liked. However I see a few threads on here with no gains recorded and also droning issues at 2k rpm while under load.

Gaines are subjective but the Droning part is huge in my book.

Does the Joe Z muffler have 2 openings to utilize the dual stacks like the OEM does?

JoeZ please comment if you have a free minute to spare.

What other good none Droning options are there?

CAN ANYONE IN THE MIAMI AREA GIVE ME A RIDE WITH A JOE Z EXHAUST TO SEE WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE?

Last edited by Bpower; 07-19-11 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-19-11, 12:26 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think its 1 opening each side. if you look at his thread carefully you'll notice it that it is just 1. the drone isn't that bad. i think its better then my previous car when i had a tanabe exhaust installed. if the drone is the deal breaker for u, just go custom like Lou did. also about the no gain threads, maybe the car isn't showing any gains is due to the fact that every car is not the same. some will get the gains and rarely some will not. i think the owners who show no gains should do a test at the drag strip instead of dynos.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 07-19-11 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-19-11, 12:39 PM
yemgi
Pole Position

The Joe Z has one pipe on each side not a dual stack as the OEM tail pipe
As for the drone, it is really subjective, it does exist at 2k rpms but it is bearable for most.
If you don't want droning, apart from staying standard you would be better getting a custom exhaust built
Old 07-19-11, 12:59 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

I'm fairly sensitive to drone, and I'm VERY happy with my JOE-Z. The drone is barely there at around 2k as stated, but really not annoying at all. The Borla S exhaust on my Jeep SRT8 on the other hand.......
Old 07-19-11, 01:11 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I recommend the Joe Z as a user myself. The drone is not bad at all, and the exhaust sounds great!
Old 07-19-11, 02:24 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far since Joe came up with his exhaust, I've read only 2 threads about no gains, only 2 people. On both threads their stock ISFs dynoed way higher than any other ISF on this board, so I think the problem was the pre-exhaust dyno.
Old 07-19-11, 02:42 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
So far since Joe came up with his exhaust, I've read only 2 threads about no gains, only 2 people. On both threads their stock ISFs dynoed way higher than any other ISF on this board, so I think the problem was the pre-exhaust dyno.
I guess our ISFs are factory freaks.......
Old 07-19-11, 03:02 PM
Bpower
Driver

Do you have it on? If so can we meet up so I could listen to it?
Old 07-19-11, 04:02 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt post a thread, but I gained nothing as well. The before dyno was done 2hrs before the after. I really know my way around a dyno. I have a feeling my next dyno(well over 2k miles later)will show good gains. At least I hope so, because it feels faster. I have headers and an intake to install after the new baseline. Then Dyno again.

OP,
I got used to all the sounds it makes and I thoroughly enjoy it now. Its not quiet, its good loud. I hear the Borla is over all quieter-less aggressive sounding.

~Dv8
Old 07-20-11, 06:38 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Definitely agree that you won't see the gain immediately post install.
Old 07-20-11, 07:00 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurduePete
^^^ Definitely agree that you won't see the gain immediately post install.
What makes you say that? Since you are immediately removing backpressure, I would expect the gains to be immediate.
Old 07-20-11, 07:14 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crazymikie
What makes you say that? Since you are immediately removing backpressure, I would expect the gains to be immediate.
Because it takes some time for these factory ECU's we have to relearn.
After every mod I do I disconnect the battery, pump the brakes to get all electrical out of the car. Connect battery, test to make sure the install went ok then after 3 weeks I'll go and do a dyno if my interests peak me enough.
Old 07-20-11, 07:21 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

newb question: Is there a way to reset the ecu w/o disconnecting the battery, like pulling a fuse? Sorry to thread jack.

I'd like to hear the JoeZ and the Borla side by side
Old 07-20-11, 07:49 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It is the quietest full dual exhaust option we have for under 2k. Its a high quality exhaust at a fair price. Comparable systems are really Borla, ISS & Royal mufflers ranging from 1-4k, I bet you if you read back you will find 30 treads in the past 6 months similar to your own. The ratio of happy vs unhappy isx50 & isF Joe Z exhaust owners is just silly in favor of the system. My car gained on 59whp from sikky headers and a PTS, il give sikky 40 of that but Joe gets the rest. Love mine and track it on the regular...

After you disconnect the battery it takes about 5 drive cycles with WOT pulls for the car to adjust to the mods completely, you get about half the power upon install then the rest threw the ECM adjustments.

Last edited by darbs242; 07-20-11 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 07:51 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
newb question: Is there a way to reset the ecu w/o disconnecting the battery, like pulling a fuse? Sorry to thread jack.

I'd like to hear the JoeZ and the Borla side by side
If I were u I'd drive 10 minutes down the road to ISS and listen to their exhaust. You live in Miami and it's very nice sounding. If you can live with the drone that is.
Yeap, there is a fuse to pull. Not sure which though.

Quick Reply: Joe Z exhaust ?