IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ppe headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 03:08 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Aside from this issue, why did you chose Sikky over PPE? From the pics the ppe header looks to have a way better build quality, welds look tougher, and the bends are smoother
1. The gains... I dont believe anyone with PPE has hit some of the numbers Sikky headers have. 2. PPE was in prototype stage when I bought headers. 3. At the time Sikky had a better solution to CEL issues. 4. Not one person has had fitment issues with Sikky and it looks like a few people have with PPE... Ive had the headers cherry red on the track and nothing has cracked yet so Im not kicking the materials, I dont know what you're taking about, bends are smoother... Sikky primaries have absolute minimal bends, count the bends per manifold compared to PPE. I however would like to take the PPE style merge collector and put it on sikky pipes and see if the header performs better. Obviously to each their own but its too bad more than one member is having issues. Just signs of not enough testing done before they went to production. I might give higher build quality to PPE but fitment and gains are more important to me than perfect welds.

Last edited by darbs242; 07-30-11 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 09:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
1. The gains... I dont believe anyone with PPE has hit some of the numbers Sikky headers have.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. When PPE and Sikky are compared on the same type of Dyno, the gain results are similar. Sikky and JE use a Dynapak and that has never been used to test the PPE. Both Sikky and PPE have been tested on a DynoJet, and the results are comparable. I have the graphs to prove it.

4. Not one person has had fitment issues with Sikky and it looks like a few people have with PPE...
PPE is addressing the problem, and is exchanging the drivers side header for the few folks effected by this issue.

As far as the Sikky workmanship is concerned have you not seen the posts from members who have reworked their header flanges because of potential leaks?

Lou
Old 07-31-11, 04:56 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. When PPE and Sikky are compared on the same type of Dyno, the gain results are similar. Sikky and JE use a Dynapak and that has never been used to test the PPE. Both Sikky and PPE have been tested on a DynoJet, and the results are comparable. I have the graphs to prove it.

PPE is addressing the problem, and is exchanging the drivers side header for the few folks effected by this issue.

As far as the Sikky workmanship is concerned have you not seen the posts from members who have reworked their header flanges because of potential leaks?

Lou
Will you post the dyno jet of the two back to back for me? I havent seen it.

Addressing the problem or not, its to bad there are problems at all...

I have seen the one guy who thought he would "improve" on sikkys flange design and imo that was retarded. NO one has had leaks... why would he and if you were so unhappy with a product why take a grinder to it rather than send it back and buy a set from PPE. He made a huge fuss because he took a grinder to his headers then said they suck. He is the only person I have seen complain about his headers and the only one who changed them.

IM not saying PPE headers are bad at all. I simply stated I was glad I went with SIkky (I have had zero problems of any kind and saw 40ish rwhp) Im glad PPE is working out for you Lou, but Im sorry for the few guys that are going to have to pull headers to get rid of a WOT steering shaft rattle. No one likes putting on a parts that expensive and having issues. All Im saying.
Old 07-31-11, 08:15 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to install my headers and I am hoping I will not experience these steering column issues. I will contact Paul about this issue.
Old 07-31-11, 08:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Will you post the dyno jet of the two back to back for me? I havent seen it.
Sure I'll attach the graphs again. The first one is Shows a number of runs with and without Sikky Headers. The two graphs with the Sikky's are without cats. The Second is mine with and without PPE headers. My Graph with the PPEs is with hi-flow cats.

I have seen the one guy who thought he would "improve" on sikkys flange design and imo that was retarded. NO one has had leaks... why would he and if you were so unhappy with a product why take a grinder to it rather than send it back and buy a set from PPE. He made a huge fuss because he took a grinder to his headers then said they suck. He is the only person I have seen complain about his headers and the only one who changed them.
I believe there has been four Sikky users who have complained about this issue and at least two have done the grinding rework. The two that I recall are here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-for-isf.html

Look at Post #13 on this page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ikky-is-2.html

Pirate1's post has been removed by the moderators

I'm just saying that Sikky has had it's share of issues. I'm sorry PPE has this one glitch, but Paul is being proactive

Lou
Attached Thumbnails ppe headers-modificationprogressionfortheis-f.jpg   ppe headers-before-and-after.jpg  
Old 07-31-11, 09:10 AM
lukeisf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first I only asked on here to find out if there was a problem not to debate which is better. Fact is if I still had a choice on headers I would still pick the ppe yes they had a problem but I brought up the problem and in a professional manner ppe fixed my problem. I could not ask for better customer service never did they say it was the shop which I have heard from the dealer many times, ppe just addressed the problem and doing this let people that bought them know about the problem they just did not sit back and wait. I guess all im saying is let it rest to each there own the headers are pretty much the same to me this means same gains it was just quality for me with welds and collector
Old 08-01-11, 07:33 AM
darbs242
Racer

No ones fighting on here... just talking about car parts. All in the effort for more knowledge
Old 08-01-11, 08:55 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

I'm a pretty easy going and capable guy in all phases. I went for the PPE headers because of the GP deal. I knew there would be some risk involved, but I also know PPE from their V6 Honda Swaps and so forth. I’m sure Paul would be proud of my Turbo Honda 3.5, but I digress.
Paul offered to swap out my driver’s side manifold with the newer version as well. So customer service thus far has been excellent. I don’t expect things to be perfect right off the bat. We are fortunate enough to get a choice with parts to begin with. I'm used to having to fab parts myself.
The steering coupler isn’t that hard to remove. I'll see if there’s any damage to the primary and go from there. Honestly I’d rather just grind it and be done with it. Swapping out the header would be a hassle. I’ve seen the sikkys. I like the welds and collectors on the PPE better. That’s not to say that the sikkys may not put more hp to the wheels. Different design & dynos; apples and oranges. I’m not getting any consistant numbers on the mustang dyno we're using here with any of the parts I’ve added.

Ryan,
I'll be heading to the 1/4 mile track at some point to soon. You got a couple more mods on me. So let’s track em and see where we are. You with the Sikky and me with the PPE.

~Dv8
Old 08-01-11, 09:49 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

I contacted Paul and he us willing to swap out my headers. But it will be several weeks until parts are available. Looking forward to my install...
Old 08-01-11, 10:32 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Ryan,
I'll be heading to the 1/4 mile track at some point to soon. You got a couple more mods on me. So let’s track em and see where we are. You with the Sikky and me with the PPE. ~Dv8
Haha Thats a drag race not a test of better parts... Different temps, different rubber, not even the same tarmac under your kicks. I wont be able to get to a drag strip that soon but I will post my slips when I get up there. Closest one is like 2 hours...

How are you going to launch... wanna be sure you do it the same way.

I kinda want slicks before I go...
Old 08-01-11, 11:14 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Haha Thats a drag race not a test of better parts... Different temps, different rubber, not even the same tarmac under your kicks. I wont be able to get to a drag strip that soon but I will post my slips when I get up there. Closest one is like 2 hours...

How are you going to launch... wanna be sure you do it the same way.

I kinda want slicks before I go...
Yea, well I won’t be going until it cools off a bit either but, technicalities, technicalities. Having fun and getting good times is all its about.

Brake tq launch.

Street tires for me, im not that hardcore..yet. I have my drag car for that!

~Dv8
Old 08-01-11, 11:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

So here's a piece of news - trap speed never lies about power. Unless the track is a skating rink, the tires won't make a big difference in trap speed, so just compare trap speed and correct for density altitude and you'll have a fair comparison.
Old 08-01-11, 02:33 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have a video or audio clip of the PPE headers with the Joe-Z exhaust? I think I saw one on here before but I can't seem to find it now.
Old 08-01-11, 02:50 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So here's a piece of news - trap speed never lies about power. Unless the track is a skating rink, the tires won't make a big difference in trap speed, so just compare trap speed and correct for density altitude and you'll have a fair comparison.
Dead on.

~Dv8
Old 08-01-11, 04:34 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Yea, well I won’t be going until it cools off a bit either but, technicalities, technicalities. Having fun and getting good times is all its about.

Brake tq launch.

Street tires for me, im not that hardcore..yet. I have my drag car for that!

~Dv8
Looking forward to your drag times with the ppe headers and Joe-z.

Quick Reply: ppe headers