IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ppe headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 12:01 PM
madastep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is why it's taking me forever to figure out who i want to install the headers, cause i've interviewed 3 shops

sorry for this BS , ERDoc hope things get straightened out soon
Old 09-22-11, 12:38 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Paul from PPE.... (very good customer service btw) Anyway, if you purchase the optional high flow cats, they don't send the "O2 conditioner" kit as they assume they will be installed at the time of header install.... (not the case obviously in my situation as they will be installed in the next couple of weeks and will also be removed intermittently (via V-Band clamps) for track days). BTW he explained that this is not a true O2 sim and they call it "O2 conditioner" as it "modifies the O2 sensor signal" and doesn't just simply generate a false signal for the ECU. (he says this is better, as well....) He also said that when the CEL is on because of no O2 conditioner installed, that he's been aware of issues like mine with first gear and traction control lights, etc.... SO, hopefully I'll get the part tomorrow am and will be taking it to he shop to get it installed tomorrow.... and all the issues (minus the scratched wheel...) will be resolved! I'll keep you all posted!
Old 09-22-11, 01:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by madastep
this is why it's taking me forever to figure out who i want to install the headers, cause i've interviewed 3 shops

sorry for this BS , ERDoc hope things get straightened out soon
Well I know the shop that installed your exhaust is NOT on this list....

How about your friend that owns a Tuner Shop??

~ Joe Z
Old 09-22-11, 01:45 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Ok, so I just got off the phone with Paul from PPE.... (very good customer service btw) Anyway, if you purchase the optional high flow cats, they don't send the "O2 conditioner" kit as they assume they will be installed at the time of header install.... (not the case obviously in my situation as they will be installed in the next couple of weeks and will also be removed intermittently (via V-Band clamps) for track days). BTW he explained that this is not a true O2 sim and they call it "O2 conditioner" as it "modifies the O2 sensor signal" and doesn't just simply generate a false signal for the ECU. (he says this is better, as well....) He also said that when the CEL is on because of no O2 conditioner installed, that he's been aware of issues like mine with first gear and traction control lights, etc.... SO, hopefully I'll get the part tomorrow am and will be taking it to he shop to get it installed tomorrow.... and all the issues (minus the scratched wheel...) will be resolved! I'll keep you all posted!
I've heard nothing but great things about Paul...

His explanation makes perfect sense...

Let's hope you at least get the small issues resolved ASAP..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-22-11, 07:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Ok, so I just got off the phone with Paul from PPE
Hey Doc, glad Paul got you squared away We talked this morning about you before the call. I was up there this afternoon and he told me he will be sending you the o2 conditioner to square you away. I'm sorry for the problems you encountered, but hopefully you will find a shop that knows what they are doing and all will be well.

Lou
Old 09-23-11, 06:51 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Hey Doc, glad Paul got you squared away We talked this morning about you before the call. I was up there this afternoon and he told me he will be sending you the o2 conditioner to square you away. I'm sorry for the problems you encountered, but hopefully you will find a shop that knows what they are doing and all will be well.

Lou
Thanks for your and everyone's help/advice in this situation!!
I'll just be glad when my baby's working right again and all lights are off! Anybody have any advice on the wheel scratch? As far as I know, no one has ever found out the actual paint code...
I've used the phantom grey color before, but it's much too light.
Old 09-23-11, 08:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Actually, I have found that Toyota Paint Code 1E3 is pretty close. To me, it's a perfect match. Sewell seems to think so also. See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...om-sewell.html

Lou
Old 09-23-11, 08:22 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

^^^^Actually, I have found that Toyota Paint Code 1E3 is pretty close. To me, it's a perfect match. Sewell seems to think so also. See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...om-sewell.html

Lou
I've tried that one and it's waaay to light .... It seems some also agree, but others think it's very close.....
Old 09-23-11, 10:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^IMO, either you got a bad bottle or you didn't shake it up enough. The bottle I have is dead nuts for the wheel color.

Lou
Old 09-24-11, 09:54 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

^^^^IMO, either you got a bad bottle or you didn't shake it up enough. The bottle I have is dead nuts for the wheel color.

Lou
I guess I'll buy a toyota brand bottle as the one i have is duplicolor? ( I definitley shook the H*LL out of it! )
Old 09-24-11, 11:20 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The on I have used was also Dupli-Color

Lou
Old 09-24-11, 05:24 PM
madastep
Pole Position

i had a shop try 3 times to match the color before they just bought me a new wheel.... also those guys owe you a new wheel, that's why those shops carry insurance.

take some pics, and if you have a lawyer friend, have him/her draw up a letter that will scare them into getting into contact with their insurance people.

i'm not an ER Doc, but i'm another dentist like Tooth and I have gotten my lawyer to draw up stuff for things like that.

(after your works is all done of course.... hehe)
Old 10-30-11, 05:21 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Well I wanted to give everybody a final update on the status of my PPE header install/CEL issues... I FINALLY got my issue resolved a few days ago thanks to Paul at PPE! (I probably had called/talked to him a dozen times over the last month trying to get things straightened out and he was always great!)
Anyway, so after the shop installed the O2 conditioner, it did not resolve the CEL issue... So we initialy thought the unit was bad and would need a different one, but Paul confirmed that the CEL codes were due to the front O2 sensors and not the rear ones which the O2 conditioner are for... So we then thought the front O2 sensors got damaged during the install and the shop gave their conditioned response "We didn't break it".... So I had to pay for new ones and they installed them ($600 later)... and STILL the same CEL codes... (the removed O2 sensors checked out ok too, so if anybody needs some, I'll sell for good price.)
So, Paul thought that possibly the front O2 sensor wiring harness extension that comes with the headers might be bad and have a short for some reason... so he quickly sent some new ones...
After install, the shop disclosed one of the original wiring harness had definite heat damage and melted wires from touching something hot.. (i suspect the headers), but after putting on the new ones, STILL the same CEL codes... so I'm like, WTF??? grrrr...
I call Paul and he said that the melted wires probably blew a fuse and that could be the culprit. So another trip to the shop and SURE ENOUGH, (even though they had said they were dubious that was the cause) a fuse for the front AF ratio sensor was blown and after replacement.. FINALLY NO CEL'S!!!!! It was just in time too cause I went to the track that same day for my second track day experience and I was able to now have 1st gear back and able to disable VSC and trac control.
On a seperate note, the same shop installed some SS brake lines and put in racing brake fluid for less brake fade for track days (which definitely made a difference BTW!!!) but now I'm hearing, immediately after the intall, intermittent rubbing/high pitched vibration coming from what sounds like the front of the car.... I haven't mentioned it to the shop yet cause I'm sure they're gonna be like "JESUS!!" but does anybody have a clue what this could be?
I also had my high flow cats welded in by another shop.... I didn't end up using the V-Band clamps I had purchased from Jegs as the guy didn't like the clamp design and he recommended not using them and just welding them in permanently...
Old 10-30-11, 07:14 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...crazy story. I'm glad Paul went outta his way to help out and fix this with you, thats a great person.

and man, sorry bout your new problem :/
Old 10-30-11, 07:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Hey Doc, That was really great that Paul diagnosed the problem over the telephone, a big to him. It's also odd that your install guy didn't come clean with their mistake and let you spend more money trying to solve a problem they caused. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end

Lou

Quick Reply: ppe headers