IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

which one first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 07:14 PM
wsMB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which one first?

i was debating between ppe headers or iss forged exhaust. which stock system is most restrictive? and im guessing running both these would make the car extremely loud right? thanks in advance for the help
Old 07-25-11, 07:52 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

get the exhaust first, your barely going to feel the gain from either one, but you'll definitely hear the exhaust
Old 07-25-11, 08:16 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I would get the headers if it were me as they are the biggest pain but from what I have read are well worth it. It really depends as the exhaust sounds nice but performance wise, I feel there is more to gain with the headers. Just my opinion and preference between the two if you are for sure going to do both. If you may only do one, the exhaust would be my choice.
Old 07-25-11, 08:42 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
get the exhaust first, your barely going to feel the gain from either one, but you'll definitely hear the exhaust
u will feel more gain from the headers then exhaust. plus u won't sacrifice much sound if u like the stock sound from the exhaust. do the headers!
Old 07-25-11, 08:43 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgeucated
You sure?

I could be wrong, but iirc the headers yield 40whp and the exhaust 19whp?

I vote headers. In your case.

And if you're planning to eventually have both one day, I'd consider the Joe-Z instead of the ISS.

If you plan on ONLY going exhaust, ISS.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-25-11, 09:13 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You are gonna feel a good difference with the headers. Just ask people who have them, they make the whole power band feel different. Your gaining almost 50hp to the wheels.
Old 07-25-11, 09:21 PM
wsMB
Driver

thanks for everyones input. i cant say for sure. im sure everyone knows how it goes. eventually you want to add more. but at the moment i care more about performance then sound. i been searching alot and i see alot of posts with header install "problems' like steering wheel shafts and relocating the dip stick. will these things affect the car? hey miik. why should i go joez with headers?
Old 07-25-11, 09:22 PM
wsMB
Driver

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
You are gonna feel a good difference with the headers. Just ask people who have them, they make the whole power band feel different. Your gaining almost 50hp to the wheels.
so if i you had to do it over again. would you get headers over your exhaust?
Old 07-25-11, 10:04 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is all personal preference. But in my opinion, the iss & header exhaust sounds too loud. Keep in mind that I've gotten 7(yes seven) exhaust tickets in the last 3 years. From all the sound clips, you here some kind if rasp. I hate rasp.

But I prefer the iss if not paired with headers bc it sounds just right.

The Joe-Z when paired with headers sounds better then hearing your child laugh for the first time. Only thing I can compare to is losing my virginity to a women 12 years older then me.

Originally Posted by wsMB
thanks for everyones input. i cant say for sure. im sure everyone knows how it goes. eventually you want to add more. but at the moment i care more about performance then sound. i been searching alot and i see alot of posts with header install "problems' like steering wheel shafts and relocating the dip stick. will these things affect the car? hey miik. why should i go joez with headers?
Old 07-25-11, 10:06 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Defiantly go headers first... Sikky headers have been making more power on avg, but the PPE build quality does look a little nicer. Id rather have the power Sikky products are great. I love my headers.
Old 07-25-11, 10:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Sikky headers have been making more power on avg,
Don't want to start an argument here, but that's simply not true. PPEs and Sikkys have shown about the same amount of added power when run on the same type of Dyno. However, IMHO, the PPEs have better workmanship.

Lou
Old 07-25-11, 11:12 PM
wsMB
Driver

Originally Posted by MiiK350
But I prefer the iss if not paired with headers bc it sounds just right.
i heard this exhaust with no headers. blew my mind. i think thats what the isf should've sounded like stock. but i was thinking the headers and iss would be too loud. so i wanted to know if i had to choose one. which should i go with? power over sound for me.
Old 07-25-11, 11:14 PM
wsMB
Driver

i dont want to start a arguement either. im sure the sikky headers are great. but i prefer the ppe for workmanship. 5 or so hp would fluctuate run to run anyway. thank you to all.
Old 07-25-11, 11:54 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

You will not gain 40whp with headers and the stock exhaust, but you will feel more of a gain from just an aftermarket header than just an aftermarket exhaust.

If you are eventually going to go headers and exhaust, I would go with the headers first.
Old 07-26-11, 04:46 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by wsMB
I've only got a KN intake and headers on. Supposedly, you gain more with headers versus exhaust alone. The car pulls a lot harder, especially after 5000, I can pass one gear taller on the highway (just shift from 8th to 6th or 5th versus 5th or 4th previously).

As far as noise, with normal driving, the car is slightly louder, more sports sedan like..similar to a stock V8 audi S4..the stock ISF was more quiet than a stock S4 for reference. At WOT, the car has a mean deep scream/roar...2/3 of the noise increase is probably from the KN (kinda roaring and sucking) 1/3 header (more engine roar) but the sound note is synergistically mean.

With the KN alone, i felt some torque loss down low, had to rev to mid twos before feeling the pull. With the headers on as well, the pull from idle on is stronger than stock, easily compensates for the KN. The neck snap effect between 6000-6800 is great. Just shift to cruise at 6000 and then WOT it, man that is fun. Passengers feel it even more.

Had an experienced speed shop install it, this was the first ISF for them. The install was straightforward.....7hr..may be faster for places on the second or third install.

Will add an exhaust but don't if I want the car much louder than stock. Headers plus exhaust combos will be a lot louder than either one alone.

Quick Reply: which one first?