Mods and aftermarket wheels? Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 04:29 AM
chow70
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods and aftermarket wheels? Opinion

Just curious to get everyone's opinion.

I was thinking of adding after market wheels and modifications to both my IS-F AND LS460. After further thinking, and pondering ... I have decided that it will cheapen the look of both cars. Tints are one thing, but going above and beyond is something else. While I respect and appreciate some of the custom interior installations I have seen on this website, I wonder about the exterior modifications and after market wheels. I love the 2009 IS-F wheels, they are f(ucking) diesel and look great. The same can be said for my 07' 460 ....

Maybe I am just getting old, but what's everyone's opinion on this?

Chow
Old 08-10-11, 04:59 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it really depends on the type and the brand of wheel you buy.

The stock wheels are BBS and there is no way in hell i would down grade to lesser brands such as XXR or Rota.

Another thing is also the design of the wheel but that is all opinion though. some look good some look bad...

Also wheels really make the biggest visual impact and really differentiates your car from everyone elses.
Old 08-10-11, 05:14 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yip, you're getting old.....

Just kidding. Like streetx said, it really depends on the style of wheel that you get. It's one thing for a wheel to look good on the shelf, but you really have to see it on the car to judge how it flows with the lines of the car.

Try photoshopping or using Tirerack's wheel visualizer. Better yet, browse the forum for pictures of other members' ISFs with aftermarket wheels. You'll be pleasantly surprised to see some wheels that you find attractive on the F. At the same time you'll see some gawdy setups.

Maybe I'm just refusing to grow up, but I find a stock car to be a bit of a boring car. Lol
Old 08-10-11, 05:28 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

High quality aftermarket wheels will only enhance the appearance of your car. However, if you don't have much to spend (i.e. $1K), keep the stocks.
Old 08-10-11, 06:17 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by montgb
High quality aftermarket wheels will only enhance the appearance of your car. However, if you don't have much to spend (i.e. $1K), keep the stocks.
^ I concur, if u only have a $1k for wheels then I'd def keep the stocks cause they are BBS rims.
Old 08-10-11, 07:53 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by montgb
They'll enhance performance too if they're lighter.
Old 08-10-11, 07:53 AM
FNMUPN8
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with everyone. With the IS -F you're either all in or your out if you want to mod. Meaning your going to have to spend some money and in most cases the mod will, if done right, either make the car louder or look more aggressive. Sounds like you're happy stock and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!
Old 08-10-11, 08:33 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I agree with most everyone above, if you're replacing the stock BBS wheels, it should be equal if not an upgrade. So some good forged wheels.

The LS460, on the other hand, could definitely use some new wheels, IMO that is where the LS460 was lacking, the wheels. You can go for looks over performance/brand. Something a little bigger and classy.. no two-toned wheels or super chromed out deep dishes.
Old 08-10-11, 08:47 AM
chow70
Rookie

Thanks guys for the advice and feedback. Always appreciated.
Old 08-10-11, 09:47 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not spend less than 3-4k on a set of wheels for either of those cars... your stock wheels on the F are defiantly more than 5 grand
Old 08-10-11, 10:34 AM
Rolotomasu
Rookie

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
Try photoshopping or using Tirerack's wheel visualizer. Better yet, browse the forum for pictures of other members' ISFs with aftermarket wheels. You'll be pleasantly surprised to see some wheels that you find attractive on the F. At the same time you'll see some gawdy setups.
Speaking of Tire rack, what is the consensus on the WedsSport wheels offered by Tire Rack for the ISF, in terms of quality, weight, etc.?
Old 08-10-11, 03:00 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

WedsSport wheels seem to be strong and lightweight. Love the SA-57Rs.

I agree with the rest; don't be cheap on the wheels.
Old 08-10-11, 05:25 PM
familycar
Rookie

it's all been said haha. no way a clean set of volks, weds, works,ssr's, etc would cheapen the look. looks cheaper stock IMO compared to one dropped on some concave te37's...
Old 08-10-11, 05:59 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by familycar
it's all been said haha. no way a clean set of volks, weds, works,ssr's, etc would cheapen the look. looks cheaper stock IMO compared to one dropped on some concave te37's...
I love me some TE37s, but I TOTALLY disagree with you...I think the stocks look cleaner and more tasteful than 95% of the aftermarket wheels others have put on their ISFs...TE37s included. I personally would be willing to sacrifice a little style for lower weight, but when discussing looks only, the stock wheels win.
Old 08-10-11, 06:11 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
I think the stocks look cleaner and more tasteful than 95% of the aftermarket wheels others have put on their ISFs....
I totally agree.

What are the weights of the stock rims F/B on the 09's and 10's?

Quick Reply: Mods and aftermarket wheels? Opinion