Something Annoying About Owning the IS F

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 12:43 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Something Annoying About Owning the IS F

Hey all,
I have been driving my IS F to work almost daily due to its superior mileage over my Tundra SR 5 4x4 and it has been great. The problem is that nearly every other day some nitwit either wants to race me or F with me on the freeway (I work second shift and am on the road about 11:30 pm or later.) Just tonight this huge crew cab long bed pickup decided to race me down Ortega Hwy as the road narrows into one lane into the residential area from a stop light at La Pata. I let him go as he sped along at about 75 in a 45 mph zone. Anyway, I stayed behind him through another light and onto the freeway where I was able to get away from this fool by going over a couple of lanes. He then caught up to me and got on my *** big time. I moved over and he sped up, got in front and did the windshield spritzer to wet my car and then started to slow way down. I finally had enough and moved over two lanes, punched it (he also did the same) left him way behind and continued home. This is just the latest incident and it's getting to the point that I am looking for different routes home. Does this nonsense ever happen to anyone else or is it just me? Sorry for the long winded diatribe but I just had to vent a little.
Old 08-20-11, 01:11 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It happens to just about any nice car, modded or stock. You just can't let those drivers get to you. They want to incite some sort of street racing with you, but take into consideration the repercussions, especially from excessive speeding and potentially injuring/killing yourself or innocent bystanders- it simply isn't worth it. The safest route to race is to always take it to the track or drag strip.

For me, the typical batch of instigators include the M3, C63, and CTS-V, along with some 335's, 5 series, and Infiniti G's. Some Genesis folks want to get a rise out of me as well. Do I let it get to me? Not one bit. I've got my precious cargo in the car most times, and if that wasn't enough, seeing them instantly get pulled over for what should be unsafe speeding, street racing, maybe excessive resonance from the exhaust, and potentially other easy infractions/misdemeanors a cop can write one up for. It's just not worth it to get caught up just for a quick battle in the streets. Just take the high road. They'll eventually back off (hopefully) because they realize you're not getting caught up in their games.
Old 08-20-11, 05:44 AM
chow70
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny. I always get the motivated homers ..... let's see. I had a 1989 LeBaron, that was a classic. I also had a 94 Ford Explorer [ he had a 7 sec head start ], and the bmwconservativehomo 335 try to race me on the ramp onto the expressway. It never surprises me of the fools who think they have an upper edge ... the 89 LeBaron with the wood trim, I'll never forget that one.
Old 08-20-11, 11:46 AM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stratman
Hey all,
I have been driving my IS F to work almost daily due to its superior mileage over my Tundra SR 5 4x4 and it has been great. The problem is that nearly every other day some nitwit either wants to race me or F with me on the freeway (I work second shift and am on the road about 11:30 pm or later.) Just tonight this huge crew cab long bed pickup decided to race me down Ortega Hwy as the road narrows into one lane into the residential area from a stop light at La Pata. I let him go as he sped along at about 75 in a 45 mph zone. Anyway, I stayed behind him through another light and onto the freeway where I was able to get away from this fool by going over a couple of lanes. He then caught up to me and got on my *** big time. I moved over and he sped up, got in front and did the windshield spritzer to wet my car and then started to slow way down. I finally had enough and moved over two lanes, punched it (he also did the same) left him way behind and continued home. This is just the latest incident and it's getting to the point that I am looking for different routes home. Does this nonsense ever happen to anyone else or is it just me? Sorry for the long winded diatribe but I just had to vent a little.
Gets on your *** ? SLAM on the brakes. He'll learn his lesson .. hits you ?you'l' get more than your car back .. trust me, I'll work the case for you..

He's driving a truck, not worth your time .. like if you saw me climb into my S14, mess with you (i wouldn't), but would you give me time of day ? You shouldn't ... give me a thumbs up and move on .. people like that get pissed off if you don't pay attention .. veer off, find another way home ... they're not worth your car or time ..
Old 08-20-11, 12:41 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Happened to me often and i dont own an F , yeah mostly civics and hondas, and sometime some mustangs lolz..... occasionally i let them know what's up
Old 08-20-11, 03:32 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, the only car I've had want to "race" me on the freeway in the 3 months I've had my F was actually another F! It was a blast, the freeway was pretty wide open and we went on for about 15 miles at 90-120mph trading lead positions. When we came up to my exit I pulled up alongside him and we gave each other smiling thumbs-up, and then sped off on our separate ways.

The one thing I do get a lot is when people pull up next to me on the freeway and just sit there going the same speed so they can get a look at the car. It's slightly awkward because I know they're staring over at me (well, my car), and if I do look over I just wave and they usually give a thumbs up and then I speed ahead. I can't blame them I guess, whenever I see a rare care like a Lambo or Ferrari I do the same thing.
Old 08-20-11, 03:39 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't even waste those precious windshield wash fluids. I , however, would hammer it as an exercise for the engine and its moving parts.
Old 08-20-11, 04:18 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I get 350zs trying to race me...
Old 08-20-11, 05:19 PM
dano9258
Driver

Haha, this has happened to me alot already in the one week I've had the car. A newer Ford Mustang GT tried to race me and i didn't give it the time of day. I know they do 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds but its not worth it. Now if an M3 tries, its on.

Unfortunately, someone threw a orange paint filled balloon at my car as well and I didnt see it until I got to work. I was not happy!
Old 08-20-11, 05:23 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have mustang gt's, domestic trucks C55 AMG's, Acura Cls', Hyundai Sonata's, Susuki Kisashi's and modified Audi A6's trying to race me. To check out the F is one thing but to ride their asses means you are inciting a race.
Old 08-20-11, 05:25 PM
dano9258
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
I have mustang gt's, domestic trucks C55 AMG's, Acura Cls', Hyundai Sonata's, Susuki Kisashi's and modified Audi A6's trying to race me. To check out the F is one thing but to ride their asses means you are inciting a race.
Hyundai Sonata's?? Really?
Old 08-20-11, 05:30 PM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

Mustang's and stock BMW's love trying to **** with my SC, my bumper hides my I/C though, but once I kick it I leave them

BOOM! 200 Posts
Old 08-20-11, 05:31 PM
hydralisk
Driver

This is way better than when I had my modified 350z... I can actually drive in peace some days and listen to Jayz/kanye's new album haha.
Old 08-20-11, 06:25 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dano9258
Hyundai Sonata's?? Really?
Yeah, this guy was a fool. I could not believe it myself...
Old 08-20-11, 06:55 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

just drive the speed limit and he'll move on. not worth getting into an accident or paying a super speeder ticket

Quick Reply: Something Annoying About Owning the IS F