IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I prefer geezer mode and here's why...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 08:57 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm drifting and posting this simultaneously....

Joe Z
Joe... give me a huge hug bro..That is the best answer ever...
Old 08-25-11, 04:25 AM
chow70
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
I'm thinking maybe Chow needs some new tires or a better understanding of his vehicles control dynamics - there is lots of car control/ vehicle performance driving schools in most major cities in North America - A few minutes on a skid pad should learn you accelerator control of your car.
Your reply to my post doesn't make too much sense. The car was just bought as a CPO, 2009. I have only had the car a few weeks, so no.. it doesn't need new tires.

Secondly, I had wondered if Lexus offered a course on how to drive the vehicle. I understand there are plenty of places to go ... but do they offer the training or know anything about the car?

This was my point.
Old 08-25-11, 06:49 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if it was a 2009 CPO you may need better tires. What tires does it have now? PS2s? RE050s? In what condition?
Old 08-25-11, 08:50 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Its probably not tires if its cpo buf it could be. Post a pic of your tires so people.take a look and advise you.

If its not tires then just take the on a spirited drive through some windy roads or mountainpass. I think your problem is gettimg used to the understeer,rwd, and elec. lsd. I found that I was taking turns too sharp and had.the same drifty feeling. If your going too fast into a turn you are going to lose traction or feel like you are drifting/have a "no control" feeling. And dont take the "you dont know how to drive" comments to heart. Even if you owned a ferrari with a refined suspension you still have to learn to drive it.

Im sure you have seen that bugatti veyron driver take his car straight into
a lake so you know...
Old 08-25-11, 09:04 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 97% positive that it's a tire issue. When I switched from the stock Bridgestone to the Hankook V12 EVO I had to drive slower than usual, I hated those tires! Not as sticky as the OEM tires and a sidewall too soft for my taste!
Old 08-25-11, 09:13 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

You got to try using the paddle shifters to hold a good gear through turns. If you leave it in sport and auto mode, you will drop a couple gears when you hit the gas hard. When you do that into turns/curves you def can get some tire spin with all that torque from slamming it into a lower gear and flooring it.
Old 08-25-11, 09:25 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chow70
Your reply to my post doesn't make too much sense. The car was just bought as a CPO, 2009. I have only had the car a few weeks, so no.. it doesn't need new tires.

Secondly, I had wondered if Lexus offered a course on how to drive the vehicle. I understand there are plenty of places to go ... but do they offer the training or know anything about the car?

This was my point.
I stand by my answers as it makes perfect sense to your questions.

Every single response in this thread has referred to the same two answers. Apparently you are not reading them, as everyone is trying to help you.

Check your tires.
Learn how to drive a car with this much power.

Going to a performance driving school usually allows you to drive your own car, the point being....... it allows you to safely understand the limits of your vehicle using accelator control, collision avoidance, proper braking etc.

No....... Lexus does not usually offer a driving course for vehicle owners so get on the internet in your area, search for a driving school, pay the money and spend a 1 day learning how to drive this car.

.....and check your tire tread.

Chow for now
Old 08-25-11, 09:53 AM
BuffGS
Driver School Candidate

Sport mode option was one of the reasons I bought the car over a CTS V.
Old 08-25-11, 12:26 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm drifting and posting this simultaneously....

Joe Z
too damn funny haha
Old 08-25-11, 01:44 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

In any car, if you are drifting on the street you are driving too fast to be safe. ALWAYS drive within your ability and the capability of the vehicle.

I highly recommend attending a HPDE school (High Performance Drivers Education). It does not matter what car you learn in. Vehicle dynamics/physics do not change. The lessons you learn will translate to all cars you drive. However, most classes require you to provide your own car.
Old 08-25-11, 01:48 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

It is your tires

My sister has the same problem (had the same problem....)

I do think the car has a little TOO much torque for someone who just thinks "it's a lexus"
Old 08-25-11, 05:30 PM
Drone619
Rookie

Im running stock PS2's and they work great. When i first got the car, the only issue i had was feathering the throttle on damp roads, after a month i got used to it. Give it some time, you'll get used to the car and its all thumbs up from there.

Only time i use snow mode is on long commutes. Got 31.5mpg(reading from dash) from San Diego to Willow Springs and made it from San Diego to Vegas with a lil over a quarter tank left. Who needs a prius, this car gets great gas mileage when you want it to. Dont get me wrong, sport mode is great, im on it half of the time lol
Old 08-25-11, 06:48 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chow70
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) has many local regions. Find yours and check out a solo event. There's plenty of people that will ride along and give you tips. Bring a helmet.
Old 08-25-11, 10:07 PM
Blacky
Driver

I don't think this is tyres (tires).

I know exactly what CHOW is talking about and it is the driver for sure, no disrespect :-)

When you drive around in normal mode a lot, you get use to when to apply the accelerator i.e. throttle travel and when you put it in sport mode the throttle travel is shortened (sharpened throttle response), so your brain and foot are accelerating like in geezer mode i.e. early in the corner but the car reacts a lot faster and you tend to push through the corner (understeer).

It is just a matter of remembering the car is very different in the way it reacts to your inputs for the two modes.
Old 08-26-11, 10:30 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I'll take Sport Mode and Tom's SP3 for the win Alex!

Quick Reply: I prefer geezer mode and here's why...