IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weird Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 09:53 AM
Servoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Starting Problem

Thursday I did a major clean wax and polish job on my 2008 F and when I came back Saturday and tried to start it there was just the CLICK CLICK CLICK and it wouldn't start. So I thought maybe I left something on when I waxed it so I recharged the battery.

Came back a some hours later and tried to start it. First of all I noticed the green light in the engine start/stop switch that you push to start it only was amber. The dashboard lit up with all the indicators and the tach did its thing like when it is ready to start but the engine wouldn't even try to crank. Still no green light. My foot was hard on the brake when trying to start. Car is in Park. The headlights were bright indicating to me a good battery charge.

I came back an hour later and still no green light and still no crank. Foot was hard on the brake pedal. Car in Park. Still no green light on the start/stop switch and headlights still bright. I went and got my wife's key and it started right up!!. I turned the car off and went and got my key and it started right up again. By the way I had replaced the battery in both keys just a couple months ago.

Whats going on? I think maybe a computer in the car or in the

Whats going on? Is there a way to reboot the cars computer. Maybe the engine immobilizer is out of sync with the car. How can I reliably start the car if this happens again?
Old 08-28-11, 03:58 PM
Steve727
Lead Lap

If your car is still under warrenty, I'd take it to the dealer and let them diagnos it.
Old 08-28-11, 04:41 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

It did sound like the battery of your key, but you said they replaced it a couple months ago. Maybe it quickly drained. I had this problem when I was under A LOT of electrical wires. I had trouble locking/unlocking the car and when I was able to get in, my start/stop button didn't turn green when I have my foot on the brakes. But after several tries, it worked. This probably doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but I had this issue before. Thought I would share.

Glad things are working now.
Old 08-29-11, 08:28 AM
Servoman
Driver School Candidate

Is the battery covered by the 4 year warranty?
Old 08-31-11, 05:39 PM
RC5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does this anytime my shoes are wet- I have to remove my shoe and depress the brake or the car will not start.
I think there is more to the brake-lock thing than just a switch, it's as if it "feels" your shoe, and moisture etc. will cause this no start condition.

I notice you mentioned massive cleaning job, I bet some substance was on the brake pedal or your shoe.
Old 08-31-11, 07:16 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RC5000
My car does this anytime my shoes are wet- I have to remove my shoe and depress the brake or the car will not start.
That's got to be a bear for those who live where it rains and snows most of the year....
Old 08-31-11, 07:43 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ i get in my car with wet (rain and snow) feet all the time, never have had an issue like this
Old 08-31-11, 08:43 PM
Drone619
Rookie

I've noticed if my key is in the same pocket as my iPhone it won't start. I'm assuming it has something to do with the phones signal blocking the key from sending it's signal to the car.
Old 08-31-11, 09:43 PM
RC5000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tenspeed
That's got to be a bear for those who live where it rains and snows most of the year....
I agree. And interesting that it's not a common problem apparently. It first happened within days of my owning the car, orange light remained on Start button and first I touched the fob to it with no success and then re-pressed the brake several times without success, and finally removed my shoe (it was wet any time this has happened) and the light turned green as soon as my sock or foot touched the pedal.
3 times this has happened (owned car 9 days), and each time sprinklers were running in yard.
Each time car unlocked properly indicating recognition of fob, and fob and phone are never in same pocket.

While my conclusion sounds unlikely the conditions and remedy remain constant for me.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-01-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 12:07 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thing is you think it's normal and haven't taken it in for repairs.

Originally Posted by RC5000
I agree. And interesting that it's not a common problem apparently. It first happened within days of my owning the car, orange light remained on Start button and first I touched the fob to it with no success and then re-pressed the brake several times without success, and finally removed my shoe (it was wet any time this has happened) and the light turned green as soon as my sock or foot touched the pedal.
3 times this has happened (owned car 9 days), and each time sprinklers were running in yard.
Each time car unlocked properly indicating recognition of fob, and fob and phone are never in same pocket.

While my conclusion sounds unlikely the conditions and remedy remain constant for me.
Old 09-01-11, 12:25 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drone619
I've noticed if my key is in the same pocket as my iPhone it won't start. I'm assuming it has something to do with the phones signal blocking the key from sending it's signal to the car.
I set my iphone on top of my keys once while driving and it gave me the key not detected warning, I assumed the same as you, when moved my phone the warning went away.
Old 09-01-11, 08:24 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Edited by moi

Last edited by digger08; 01-10-12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 10:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
...Turn car off to exit this menu and return to normal.
Or press and hold Disp for three seconds and it will restart while in motion. You can also access this menu while moving by selecting Disp and tapping upper left - lower left three times. I've done this to check speed and GPS satellites while moving.
Old 09-01-11, 12:05 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Edited by moi

Last edited by digger08; 01-10-12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 12:12 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

The wax clogged the fuel injectors!!

Cant believe I still remember that Saved by the Bell Episode..

Quick Reply: Weird Starting Problem