IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Failed Inspection.....???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 11:23 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, the type of testing his vehicle receives is based on the area his vehicle is registered in. As per http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/
Old 09-04-11, 05:13 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
..So it failed for o2 sensor not ready
Evap not ready.
Originally Posted by ming15237
Sorry but this answer is COMPLETELY WRONG.... If he had an error code he would have failed for that, a system not ready is completely different.
Sorry for trying to help, but getting your car scanned takes a coupe of minutes and will def rule out if he has an error code thrown.

I live in Fl so we don't worry about inspections and I'm no expert in this but just trying to take a pick at this.

Could be like you said the 02 sim is prob acting up or the scan program they are using just doesn't like the 02 sim
Old 09-04-11, 07:20 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Sorry for trying to help, but getting your car scanned takes a coupe of minutes and will def rule out if he has an error code thrown.

I live in Fl so we don't worry about inspections and I'm no expert in this but just trying to take a pick at this.

Could be like you said the 02 sim is prob acting up or the scan program they are using just doesn't like the 02 sim
Sorry came off a little brash there but my point was a code will cause a fail of different sorts in OBD2 testing.
Old 09-04-11, 09:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Texas has the same emissions testing that PA does Mitch, when you upload it I will take a look and let you know what/if anything can be done. As I have stated in the past these o2 sims are NOT a good thing first off, the monitors on the F are VERY critical as to what they want to see before they pass the self test. That said passing and tripping a code are two different things. If these monitors are not setting this could explain some other peoples problems with failed Random Tech cats. anyways post up the report when ya get a chance.
I read quite a bit on what the secondary O2 sensors do and some of the testing the ECM does routinely. I really doubt you'd ever get a test ready indication with any of the simulators because they just falsely report everything is OK. The ECM has a test cycle it performs routinely to check the secondary O2 sensors (they didn't used to do this at all) where it richens or leans the fuel mixture briefly and looks for the proper response from the secondary O2 sensors.

I think Ming is onto something with the Randomtech cat failures. The ECM may be running this rich test and since it sees no response from the secondary O2, it runs rich waiting for a response longer than it should and overheats the cats. Apparently, the simulator is good enough to keep from setting a DTC, but not good enough to prevent catalyst failure.

From the Factory Service Manual:
The ECM uses sensors mounted in front of and behind the three way catalytic converter to monitor its efficiency.

The first sensor, the air fuel ratio sensor, sends pre-catalyst information to the ECM. The second sensor, the heated oxygen sensor, sends post-catalyst information to the ECM.

In order to detect any deterioration in the three way catalytic converter, the ECM calculates the oxygen storage capacity of the three way catalytic converter. This calculation is based on the voltage output of the heated oxygen sensor while performing active air fuel ratio control, rather than the conventional detecting method, which uses the locus ratio.

The oxygen storage capacity value is an indication of the oxygen storage capacity of the three way catalytic converter. When the vehicle is being driven with a warm engine, active air fuel ratio control is performed for approximately 15 to 20 seconds. When it is performed, the ECM deliberately sets the air fuel ratio to lean or rich levels. If a rich-lean cycle of the heated oxygen sensor is long, the oxygen storage capacity becomes greater. There is a direct correlation between the oxygen storage capacities of the heated oxygen sensor and the three way catalytic converter.
Also. this isn't something you'll see on a dyno test or tune without running at steady state for a considerable time, so "tuning" around this is going to be very challenging and likely expensive.
Old 09-04-11, 09:36 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I read quite a bit on what the secondary O2 sensors do and some of the testing the ECM does routinely. I really doubt you'd ever get a test ready indication with any of the simulators because they just falsely report everything is OK. The ECM has a test cycle it performs routinely to check the secondary O2 sensors (they didn't used to do this at all) where it richens or leans the fuel mixture briefly and looks for the proper response from the secondary O2 sensors.

I think Ming is onto something with the Randomtech cat failures. The ECM may be running this rich test and since it sees no response from the secondary O2, it runs rich waiting for a response longer than it should and overheats the cats. Apparently, the simulator is good enough to keep from setting a DTC, but not good enough to prevent catalyst failure.

From the Factory Service Manual:

Also. this isn't something you'll see on a dyno test or tune without running at steady state for a considerable time, so "tuning" around this is going to be very challenging and likely expensive.
Agreed, I think once he post his failure report I should be able to point him in the appropriate direction to get the vehicle to pass the emissions test. However, getting the ECM to run and complete a successful o2 test is "likely" an impossibility.
Old 09-06-11, 06:46 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, I think once he post his failure report I should be able to point him in the appropriate direction to get the vehicle to pass the emissions test. However, getting the ECM to run and complete a successful o2 test is "likely" an impossibility.
Old 09-06-11, 06:46 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Please Help....This will be the last straw to returning the car back to stock if it wont pass the obdII scan.
Old 09-06-11, 07:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

If the microprossore turn out to be the problem, give Sikky a call ASAP at (410) 780-0009. There have been reports of a handfull or so microprossors with issues and it sounds like you may have one. They do warranty them so it's just a matter of calling and explaining what's going on.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-06-11 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-06-11, 07:24 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Mitch this is doable, what you need to do is simply get the evap monitors to set, as per the Texas site you are allowed to have one monitor not set, when I get to the shop I will post the process to set that monitor. The car should then pass emissions testing.
Old 09-06-11, 08:03 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Mitch this is doable, what you need to do is simply get the evap monitors to set, as per the Texas site you are allowed to have one monitor not set, when I get to the shop I will post the process to set that monitor. The car should then pass emissions testing.
Awesome thank you all! I will also call Sikky as well.
Old 09-06-11, 08:07 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Please Help....This will be the last straw to returning the car back to stock if it wont pass the obdII scan.
Woah Mitch, don't get crazy. I'd let you register your car at my house in Florida before you have to go back to stock. Florida has no emissions, no inspections, no personal property taxes and you can pay all online.
Old 09-06-11, 08:12 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fapout
Woah Mitch, don't get crazy. I'd let you register your car at my house in Florida before you have to go back to stock. Florida has no emissions, no inspections, no personal property taxes and you can pay all online.
lol Thanks man! It just pisses me off I could get a 700hp honda to pass, but this ISF is being an issue. Ill calm down once I get a sticker haha. It was just one more mark against the F along with the aftermarket let down :-(
Old 09-06-11, 08:16 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

What part of texas are you in?
Old 09-06-11, 08:31 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fapout
What part of texas are you in?
west Plano area 75093 basically the border of Dallas, the colony and Frisco..
Old 09-06-11, 09:36 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for ming

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection.....???