IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 12:56 AM
Adamgbrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Paint job

I just got my ISF about 2 weeks ago. After about the third wash and first wax job I couldnt help but notice that the paint wasnt as slick as my last car. I washed her twice today and waxed the car twice ( hood 3 times ) and it just doesnt feel right. I was wondering about everyone else. My Corvette was like Astroglide after a wax job. I could let a microfiber towel loose on the hood and it would slide off like it was running from me. The car looks really good and shiny, just doesnt feel shiny. Remarks????
Old 09-04-11, 05:05 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is your car? Maybe a good detail job would help set off the paint: A porter cable with multiple steps of cleaners and polishers
Old 09-04-11, 07:09 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a good detail with clay bar first
Old 09-04-11, 07:18 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
I second the clay bar first, Meguiars has a real nice kit they sell with clay bar and spray lube included, then a good wax job. If this is not your issue, maybe it was repainted and the quality is not up to snuff.
Old 09-04-11, 09:02 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
This. Car should be smooth as silk after a good wash, clay bar and wax.
Old 09-04-11, 11:43 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Clay bar will make it feel smooth, but you have you ask yourself if it is necessary. you didn't mention what year your car is. if it is at least two years old, i absolutely agree clay bar is a good idea. If your car is brand new and if looks great, why bother then.

If your car looks great, the best thing you can do is leave it alone. too many washes, waxes and clay barring can only cause more harm in the long run.
Old 09-04-11, 02:06 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Get some Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection for that silky paint feeling. I won a bottle and it is amazing. Goes on easy and then buff it off. It looks like you can get eight treatments from one bottle.

Get it from CL vendor http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
The member names are Todd@ProperAutoCare and Angelo
Old 09-04-11, 03:03 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I'm not sure what's causing your problem either regarding the non-smooth paint... I can tell you however to NEVER take your car to an automatic car wash that touches your car (i.e. spinning things and long strips that drape over your car as it passes) I took my car to one of these places about 15 times over the last few months and had TONS of swirl and microscratches ALL OVER my car. I spent 16 hours with a porter cable random orbiter, 2 stages of swirl remover and 2 stages of paint sealer and a coat of wax to get my car looking good again. (however there still are some harder to see swirls in my paint... I need to use a more agressive swirl remover next time) My car is smooth as glass at this point anyhow... I've never used clay, but have read it's good stuff to use on paint with issues.
Old 09-04-11, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Claybar is what you need. Strips everything down to the clear. Then build up that smooth gloss finish with polish, wax and sealant
Old 09-04-11, 08:01 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You need an ice cream paint job

Old 09-04-11, 09:21 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
You need an ice cream paint job

LMAO ^ yes !
Old 09-04-11, 11:14 PM
rath
Driver School Candidate

Your also comparing to different manufacture paints, this could be a key difference. Year, different living locations, etc.
Old 09-05-11, 12:34 AM
Adamgbrown
Driver School Candidate

The year is 2008. The paint looks emaculate until you touch it. It certainly has a mirror shine, look at my pics. I wasnt sure if this was the paint protector offered by lexus. Car has only 25,000 miles and is flawless in every other aspect. I am just comparing it to my corvette and I think the paint job is sub-par. When I bought it I thought "it just needs a good wax" , but after 3 waxes, it still doesnt "FEEL" smooth. I found some compound and will let you guys know the verdict.
Old 09-05-11, 06:24 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Adamgbrown
The year is 2008. The paint looks emaculate until you touch it. It certainly has a mirror shine, look at my pics. I wasnt sure if this was the paint protector offered by lexus. Car has only 25,000 miles and is flawless in every other aspect. I am just comparing it to my corvette and I think the paint job is sub-par. When I bought it I thought "it just needs a good wax" , but after 3 waxes, it still doesnt "FEEL" smooth. I found some compound and will let you guys know the verdict.
Wash, claybar, polish. Dont need the compound. If you feel you must though, polish the car after the compound as compound removes the defects but leaves the paint looking dull and hazey.
Old 09-05-11, 09:58 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No to compound unless the paint has a blemish or looks dated.

A clay bar and a porter cable is what you need

Quick Reply: ISF Paint job