MRISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this being done?
Old 09-08-11, 12:00 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

I hate that this was posted without an explanation of why a 65k+ car is in pieces...Every post will ask why so please tell us!
Old 09-08-11, 01:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

I think its related to the HEAVY ticking / tapping noises a few members have had... See below link

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Wonder what they are replacing on this engine.. ??

~ Joe Z
Old 09-08-11, 01:38 PM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

in for the story as well!
Old 09-08-11, 02:36 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys.. sorry for the lack of a story when I made the post. It was late and had to get up early the next morning. While at Lexus, I was able to take photos of the engine in it's dissassembled state. I've posted lots of ISF pictures but never the engine.

Well Joe is correct in regards to the metallic engine tapping sound that can be found in the link that Joe posted. For the longest time, the dealership where I bought the car new in '08, said that the noise was normal. I know another user on this board Salil was able to get his fixed because he had the same metallic tapping sound that I did. Both of us posted videos on that web link.

The dealership I brought my car into was Lexus of Northborough in MA. I have to say that the dealership was willing to take the time and really investigate into the issue. Unlike the dealership where I bought my car, from the very start they said they wanted to make things right with the customer and reminded me that's why I bought a Lexus. I commend them on really going out of the way to solve the problem. Both the service advisor and service manager have provided 5 star service.

The car has been out of my hands since July 3rd. They were able to give me a loaner RX350. Considering I cycle a lot, it was an easy car for me to get my bike in and out of. Hopefully I'll be able to get my car back in the next few weeks. I've been without my car for that long, I told them to take their time putting it back together right as opposed to throwing things together in haste.

The reason it's taking a long time is because a lot of the parts were on backorder. Parts needed to be shipped from Japan and that took a while.

Hope you all like the photos. Again it's not everyday you see the engine torn apart.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I think its related to the HEAVY ticking / tapping noises a few members have had... See below link

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Wonder what they are replacing on this engine.. ??

~ Joe Z
Old 09-08-11, 05:40 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at least getting it done the right way!! But wow that engine looks bad@ss! Looks almost like a older muscle car engine! Good luck with the rest of the repair!
Old 09-09-11, 05:55 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

The engine looks sweet and it must suck to go that long without your F!! The good news is u found a dealership that was willin to investigate instead of giving you the run around like the previous dealer you purchased the car from. Good luck and hopefully u get your car back soon!!
Old 09-09-11, 06:03 AM
lukeisf
Driver

Have they found the fix for it . I have an 08 and it makes a weird ticking noise.
Old 09-09-11, 06:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

I bought a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 brand new from a local Yamaha dealer. It made a ticking noise from day one. I went to 3 different dealers in two states to get the ticking noise resolved under warranty. After pushing back the third time, I got a letter from Yamaha telling me they fix broken engines, not noisy engines. They offered to extend my warranty and nothing more.

I rebuilt that engine 3 separate times and did a lot of things to make it much more powerful. I replaced every internal part except the rods and crank at least once. It always ticked when it was hot.

Knowing Yamaha designed the heads does not give me confidence the ticking will be resolved.
Old 09-09-11, 07:10 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Mine wasn't a "ticking" sound. It was a metallic tapping sound coming from the inside of the engine. I did notice performance loss as well in the engine recently. If you look at the link and hear the YouTube videos, you'll hear the sound that I'm talking about. I know the engine will have a ticking sound, but not an abnormal metallic tapping sound.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I bought a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 brand new from a local Yamaha dealer. It made a ticking noise from day one. I went to 3 different dealers in two states to get the ticking noise resolved under warranty. After pushing back the third time, I got a letter from Yamaha telling me they fix broken engines, not noisy engines. They offered to extend my warranty and nothing more.

I rebuilt that engine 3 separate times and did a lot of things to make it much more powerful. I replaced every internal part except the rods and crank at least once. It always ticked when it was hot.

Knowing Yamaha designed the heads does not give me confidence the ticking will be resolved.
Old 09-09-11, 09:02 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome pics Nick and i am glad they are finally resolving the issue...My 08 F had this issue from day one i purchased the car and it took me over a year just for the dealership to acknowledge about abnormal sound.

I have sold my 08 F few months back and picked up a brand new 2011 F...To be honest, i did notice same sound couple times.

i wouldn't be surprised if my New F has the same issue.
Old 09-09-11, 09:58 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My '08 still has the problem after 2months in the shop for diagnosis. they only changed out the dampener on the fuel rail. the noise is getting worse and I am worried. I bought the 100K/8yr warranty for piece of mind, but I'd rather not have my Lexus sound like an old tractor.

AA
Old 09-09-11, 10:18 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
My '08 still has the problem after 2months in the shop for diagnosis. they only changed out the dampener on the fuel rail. the noise is getting worse and I am worried. I bought the 100K/8yr warranty for piece of mind, but I'd rather not have my Lexus sound like an old tractor.

AA

^^ That's next on my list.... Mind sharing what your ball park cost was for it???

Thanks ~ Joe Z
Old 09-09-11, 10:20 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. I hope they resolve the issue that way they will finally know where the issue is coming from.

~Dv8
Old 09-09-11, 11:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by ngl1145
Mine wasn't a "ticking" sound. It was a metallic tapping sound coming from the inside of the engine. I did notice performance loss as well in the engine recently. If you look at the link and hear the YouTube videos, you'll hear the sound that I'm talking about. I know the engine will have a ticking sound, but not an abnormal metallic tapping sound.
Sounds like semantics to me. Metallic tapping sound = ticking sound to me. The FJ made the noise once it got warm consistently. It sounded like a loose valve (if the engine had rocker arms, I would have sworn it was a valve), so they adjusted the valves three different times to no avail. And yes, a poorly adjusted rocker arm makes a "metallic tapping sound" because that's exactly what is happening. Metal on metal tick every time the valve opens because the lash is excessive. Unfortunately, bucket and shim engines never make ticking noises from the valve train. It's not possible.

I am surprised at the disassembly required to address this unless they already determined the valve lash to be correct. Considering the short roller rockers we have, it would seem quite possible the root cause is valve lash which does not require removing the heads to check or adjust.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my IS-F's Engine